Aiden Mcgeady

He isn't like, he has been good for us, fans who turned on him were pretty shameful

absolutely no excuse

Wouldn’t say I turned on him per se. I saw results improve without him and used him as an excuse for previous poor form where he’d contributed to us being shite.

I was wrong, admit that. But the ones saying he was always class despite the team around him are full of shit. He wasn’t turning in good performances for a canny spell...

If Fleetwood had a forum they would be ranting about not doubling up on the best winger in the league etc.

They prevented him cutting in on his right foot and the tried to prevent him having as much space as possible, the fact they couldn't double up on him was more to do with the fact he actually had players running off him rather than just giving him the ball and saying you do something.

The first goal, look at how desperate their defender is to not let him come back onto his right foot, he actually showed him space to go into, it took a sublime cross, but without them trying too hard to stop his normal game he would not have had the time and space to put that ball in.

Wouldn't go that far mate :lol:, he was just inept.

He's certainly not a scumbag. I wouldn't say he was inept either just not quite good enough for what we want. At the time he was sacked I think everyone felt it was the right thing to do and the standard of the football on offer was the main driver. Again results wise even this season his record is just about identical to Johnsons and we are 5th and his results with us after his horrible 8 game start were very close to automatic promotion, if not automatic promotion. That 5th this season is as much down to the 23 points from 13 games as it is from Johnsons 27 in 15, they just go about things in different ways and Johnson has a more positive mindset which I think Sunderland fans need. However there is much more to look forward to now and the feeling is we can only improve when under Parkinson we weren't going to get any better. Parkinson was dull, fell short of what we need but he wasn't the absolute catastrophe people like to paint.

The fact of the matter is that McGeady has been our best player since he signed for the club. Even in the championship he was our best player. Created the most, was at the top end of the goal scoring charts, and has provided a bit of entertaining skill in a dire time to support Sunderland.

Ive never understood why some people didn’t like him or were advocating Parkinson’s position or suggesting flogging him. Even when he was bad for us under Parkinson, it was at a time when nearly every other player was worse. He’s a very talented player and Johnson’s best contribution since becoming manager was bringing him back in to the fold

This.

People seem to forget that it was Coleman who froze McGeady out long before Parkinson. I remember the shit McGeady got for his comments on Coleman on Sunderland Til I Die.

If we get promoted I don't think he will be much good in the Championship.

Last edited:
I have to admit I thought he probably was part of the problem under Parkinson and in many respects he probably was. I don’t think you could fault him under Ross- he played through injury and worked hard and that’s evident again now. Under Parkinson and Bowyer though he was a shadow of the player he can be and some of that was, I suspect, down to him. Clearly now he’s a massive asset.

People seem to forget that it was Coleman who froze McGeady out long before Parkinson. I remember the shit McGeady got for his comments on Coleman on Sunderland Til I Die.

If we get promoted I don't think he will be much good in the Championship.

I don’t recall Coleman freezing him out. I recall McGeady saying Coleman was owa soft and wasn’t giving clear tactical instructions

He's certainly not a scumbag. I wouldn't say he was inept either just not quite good enough for what we want. At the time he was sacked I think everyone felt it was the right thing to do and the standard of the football on offer was the main driver. Again results wise even this season his record is just about identical to Johnsons and we are 5th and his results with us after his horrible 8 game start were very close to automatic promotion, if not automatic promotion. That 5th this season is as much down to the 23 points from 13 games as it is from Johnsons 27 in 15, they just go about things in different ways and Johnson has a more positive mindset which I think Sunderland fans need. However there is much more to look forward to now and the feeling is we can only improve when under Parkinson we weren't going to get any better. Parkinson was dull, fell short of what we need but he wasn't the absolute catastrophe people like to paint.

That’s a decent and well balanced point of view, but I’ll disagree slightly.

I wouldn’t say Parkinson was a catastrophe either, but he was the opposite of what we needed at the time. His tenure didn’t progress the club in regards to league position, playing staff, off field staff, or any other meaningful stat, really.

This is the key issue with Parkinson, we wasted another year treading water in League One when we should have been progressing.

I don’t blame Parkinson, he took a big job that was offered to him, those making the appointment I hold entirely responsible. He wasn’t necessarily one of our worst ever managers, but he was one of our worst ever appointments.

The fact of the matter is that McGeady has been our best player since he signed for the club. Even in the championship he was our best player. Created the most, was at the top end of the goal scoring charts, and has provided a bit of entertaining skill in a dire time to support Sunderland.

Ive never understood why some people didn’t like him or were advocating Parkinson’s position or suggesting flogging him. Even when he was bad for us under Parkinson, it was at a time when nearly every other player was worse. He’s a very talented player and Johnson’s best contribution since becoming manager was bringing him back in to the fold
This.

They did a job on him yesterday and fair play to them BUT the one time they let him go he delivered a brilliant cross which resulted in the ball hitting the back of the net...

For a while Parkinson had a team better than 10 of a team plus McGeady would be which is what we were under Ross

I’ve already held my hands up and said I was wrong about the lad. I think you’re re-writing a bit here though...

We had a little period under Parkinson last season where the results we were getting were alright. It didn't last very long, the football wasn't very good, and by the end we looked like we would struggle to even make the playoffs. We blame the clubs for voting for an early end to the season, but the reality is that there was nothing to suggest that we would finish in a playoff position and the early finish spared our blushes. So no, it wasn't better than the system Ross played.

If you can't get something out of Aiden McGeady in the 3rd division then you have no business being a football manager. The fact that he ate a McDonald's and has fairly shite "banter" isn't a reason to exile him.

We had a little period under Parkinson last season where the results we were getting were alright. It didn't last very long, the football wasn't very good, and by the end we looked like we would struggle to even make the playoffs. We blame the clubs for voting for an early end to the season, but the reality is that there was nothing to suggest that we would finish in a playoff position and the early finish spared our blushes. So no, it wasn't better than the system Ross played.

If you can't get something out of Aiden McGeady in the 3rd division then you have no business being a football manager. The fact that he ate a McDonald's and has fairly shite "banter" isn't a reason to exile him.

The whole squad ate at McDonald's according to Maguire when Aiden got the flak for it

They did a job on him yesterday and fair play to them BUT the one time they let him go he delivered a brilliant cross which resulted in the ball hitting the back of the net...

They did, but it ended up giving Gooch more space on the other side. Unfortunately Gooch played a bit shit so he didn't capitalise on it. If teams come into games looking to stop McGeady as a priority then that's a good thing. It means he can play shit and still create space for other players.

Some of the comments on this thread man

Aiden Mcgeady, at 35 years of age, is by far the best footballer in our squad and is probably the best in league 1.

Anyone who thought not playing your best player would be the way out of this league needs to give their head a wobble.

Isn't he now top for goals created despite only playing since December?

Of course he is going to have of games. If he took the piss like he did against Doncaster every game he wouldn't be playing for us in league 1. The fact is even when he's not running the show like he did last night he pops up with a bit of quality that gets us the win.
I think back to AFC Wimbledon at home a couple of years back... We were struggling to break them down and from memory Mcgeady had a particularly quiet first half.
Ball falls to him out on the left, he beats his man puts and absolute thunder-blammer in the top bin. 1-0.

Back