Aiden John McGeady

He was 2nd half, great outlet and most of our attacks came down the right. Linked up well with Power, Gooch and Watmore.
Yep playing excellent for us.

without McGeady we'd have zero creativity as Gooch has seemingly forgot how to play football

it didn't really come off for him yesterday but he always wants the ball and when he gets it always trys to make something happen

would be madness to drop him
Ridiculous to say he should be dropped. His quality stands out like a sore thumb in league one.

Last edited:

If I had been on a scouting mission seeing players for the first time I wouldn't have used much pencil yesterday, it was a strange performance - they tried to stifle the game and it worked way too easily. Players with one speciality start to become very evident in games like this. The Maja only scores line is ridiculous of course, but actually yesterday I don't think he won a challenge and gave away possession very easily that one time nearly led to a goal, McGeady did not shine overall, but equally like Maja a savaging based on yesterday alone is harsh on the individual but is a problem in that type of game overall, equally there were key contributions from Oviedo, Catts, Gooch, and others but also a lot of spectating. Ross will know and as long as it doesn't become a pattern we move on. Fact is Luton and Pompey were away and behind - both came back, the pace has not dropped yet, if it is going to...

What's with the obsession with all players having to do the same thing??
and everything too. All players defending, tackling back, attacking all at the same time and no mistakes allowed. Dont worry that the opposition are very physical and the refs ignore it, or that they sit back and get men behind the ball...

Agreed. I've taken a 6 month break from SMB. Back on it for a few days and the negative, self destructive and dramatic shit is diabolical. Honestly can't be arsed. Think I'll just keep going to matches and supporting the team and club in its bid to get and do better.
Agreed. I thought I'd been to two different matches. I was encouraged by what I watched.

Never tackles or wins the ball when the other team has it.

Doesn’t get near his man, and ball watches. If someone takes the balk off him he will never win it back.

He should at least try winning it back at this level.

Kept bombing towards the box (rather than down the wing) when we had the ball, meaning our midfield had to press further up away from the defence to link up with him.

He did manage to put a couple of good crosses in eventually. Should have been doing that for 90 mins.

Should be dropped imho. A good sub for when the other team is tired but I think he cost us points today.
Bollocks I’m afraid. I watched McGeady closely over the last few games; he’s obviously been told by Ross to work harder in the ‘defending and working back’ department and it hasn’t always been his thing. But much of the time during the last few matches he has been putting in a challenge in his own half and around his own box or working really hard to be an outlet to bring the ball out. His overall teamwork has improved immensely. Not everything comes off for him because that’s the type of player he is, but he’s only an asset to us as I see it. Maybe you ought to concentrate your negative energy criticising your own team’s players marra.

Our best player by a mile.

Couple of times he absolutely skinned their full back. Once he was surrounded by two and still managed to beat them and get a cross in.
Come off it. Surely you're forgetting our unsung heros. The like of McLaughlin, Baldwin and yes, Cattermole. In an ideal world both Cattermole and Mc Geady would be playing two matches a month as they look paggered playing four.

Never tackles or wins the ball when the other team has it.

Doesn’t get near his man, and ball watches. If someone takes the balk off him he will never win it back.

He should at least try winning it back at this level.

Kept bombing towards the box (rather than down the wing) when we had the ball, meaning our midfield had to press further up away from the defence to link up with him.

He did manage to put a couple of good crosses in eventually. Should have been doing that for 90 mins.

Should be dropped imho. A good sub for when the other team is tired but I think he cost us points today.

But won us 3 points on Boxing Day. Apologies if SEB but reading the op was enough for me.

He has a quality, a gift. Like a lot of players who have that gift he sometimes looks like he’s not putting it in. I hope his mindset is right when he goes out onto the pitch cos if it is he could get us close to,promotion.
That’s down to him and the manager to get him in the right frame of mind.
He tires imo and struggles to do 90 minutes.

Come off it. Surely you're forgetting our unsung heros. The like of McLaughlin, Baldwin and yes, Cattermole. In an ideal world both Cattermole and Mc Geady would be playing two matches a month as they look paggered playing four.

Absolutely mate.

Not taking anything away from them, but talent wise, McGeady is the one who could easily do it in the Championship and potentially the Premier League still.

Christmas week is a tough one. Games in quick succession and both AM and LC aren’t renowned for their fitness levels.

Back