After Life

• Thread starter Deleted member 14766
  • Start date

Just binged series 3.
I see the usual worshipful group of critics have panned it.
F**k 'em.
I thought is was brilliant - edgy as usual, lots of truth in there, sharp as a sushi knife.
The scene with the kids (no spoiler - you will know when you see it) was brutal, so emotional it had me welling up and I'm not ashamed to say so.
Ricky Gervais is pure gold, tells society like it is.

Watched the first 2 episodes of series 3. Quite enjoyed them, actually.

Absolutely loved the song at the end of episode 2. Never heard it or of the singer before, but Shazamed it & will look her up.

I thought the first series was canny but had to stop watching half way through the 2nd cos the characters were so over the top it was just silly and annoying.

I thought the first series was canny but had to stop watching half way through the 2nd cos the characters were so over the top it was just silly and annoying.
I thought the first series was just OK, the 2nd series was fairly shite & the first 2 episodes of the 3rd series were actually good enough. I have this thing where if I start watching something, I'll watch it until the end, unless I just can't take anymore. I watched the first 5 series of Game of Thrones until I just had enough.

The one thing that annoys me about Afterlife is that it's obviously aimed towards American audiences. Always sunny, birds singing from the trees etc. That doesn't happen in this part of the world. It's nearly always raining & I very hear the birds singing even when it's not pissing out of the heavens.

Andy Burrows is the composer, from Razorlight/We Are Scientists and the much underrated imo Smith and Burrows.
I remember hearing him on 6 music doing the promotion for season 2. He said he didn’t give soundtrack budget any thought for season 1 until they’d shot it and then realised there wasn’t much money left.

He went on to say that the music budget was the first thing they sorted for season two. Not like he hasn’t made shows before and would know the process. Might have just been bullshit for the audience but season two soundtrack was cracking as well.

Last edited:
I like how they addressed how a newspaper minion can have such a mint house.

It still doesn't explain how a local rag can have such a mint office mind.

Started watching episode 1, series 3 last night but fell asleep. It does that to you in parts this series, but overall a decent effort if you like dry comedy.

6/10 overall.

Back