After Life

• Thread starter Deleted member 14766
  • Start date
Another angle i picked up was the Faith thing
Gervais is not only anti religion he's pretty vocal with it to the point of nastiness
My view and he reached it too in the show was if Old Doris or his wife in this case wants to believe in something and it gets her through the day and comforts her in her final years and days let her
I like Gervais and have enjoyed most of his work but some of this was very simplistic and child-like really. He's a pretty shit actor when it comes to truly trying to portray grief and sadness. Having said all that there were parts which were very poignant despite feeling manipulated by the writing. I wanted to like it more and whilst all of the series had faults I think Series 3 felt a bit half-arsed.
i think he does grief quite well,those moments where you clam up and are on the edge . I Think now we just know all his little ways and we've sussed him .He's still very watchable to me

Last edited:

Another angle i picked up was the Faith thing
Gervais is not only anti religion he's pretty vocal with it to the point of nastiness
My view and he reached it too in the show was if Old Doris or his wife in this case wants to believe in something and it gets her through the day and comforts her in her final years and days let her

i think he does grief quite well,those moments where you clam up and are on the edge . I Think now we just know all his little ways and we've sussed him .He's still very watchable to me
I know what you mean.

But, in fairness, neither ‘Old Doris or his wife’ need any permission from Ricky Gervais or anyone else. 😉

I know what you mean.

But, in fairness, neither ‘Old Doris or his wife’ need any permission from Ricky Gervais or anyone else. 😉
Of course not but his clips dissing religious people are pretty high profile and shared and viewed by millions ,he then challenges that stance in something he's wrote .

6/10 for me. Just didn't feel like it went anywhere. Or maybe I'm not smart enough to pick up on subtle messaging.

Really enjoyed the first two series and I wouldn't say I didn't enjoy S3 but it just felt disjointed.

Like, the character of Tony is clearly a smart bloke, but the whole storyline with him and Scottish lass, him storming out of his brother-in-law's house and leaving her there, and generally it all being a one way effort on her part, just didn't fit.

I'm not really sure how it all links together, the fat kid wanting to become an actor, the lonely lass out of the office getting chased out of the yoga class for crying, the postman wanting to seek counsel at Tony's door.. I dunno, just feels like I'm missing something.

Or was it all just 5 episodes of introduction to the final scene where eventually everyone is happy?

Was like the final scene in grease

6/10 for me. Just didn't feel like it went anywhere. Or maybe I'm not smart enough to pick up on subtle messaging.

Really enjoyed the first two series and I wouldn't say I didn't enjoy S3 but it just felt disjointed.

Like, the character of Tony is clearly a smart bloke, but the whole storyline with him and Scottish lass, him storming out of his brother-in-law's house and leaving her there, and generally it all being a one way effort on her part, just didn't fit.

I'm not really sure how it all links together, the fat kid wanting to become an actor, the lonely lass out of the office getting chased out of the yoga class for crying, the postman wanting to seek counsel at Tony's door.. I dunno, just feels like I'm missing something.

Or was it all just 5 episodes of introduction to the final scene where eventually everyone is happy?

Was like the final scene in grease

The overall message is that everyone is suffering in their own way so be kind to people. It comes together in the end with Tony realising this and being kinder.

I agree though, large parts of it just seem weird and jarring.

Watched the whole lot last night, bubbled my eyes out, its got to be one of the best programmes ever. RG is an absolute genius. For me, everyone should live and love in the way thats depicted in the programme. It's top drawer like.

Seemed to be heavily reliant on extreme crudeness and naughty words. Not a good sign. I found it tiresome to listen to the numerous descriptions of smelly growlers, filming girlfriend’s having sex with other blokes etc. Just seemed to be out to shock and push the boundaries of what he can get away with, which is a shame as I think he can and has done much better.

Seemed to be heavily reliant on extreme crudeness and naughty words. Not a good sign. I found it tiresome to listen to the numerous descriptions of smelly growlers, filming girlfriend’s having sex with other blokes etc. Just seemed to be out to shock and push the boundaries of what he can get away with, which is a shame as I think he can and has done much better.
Surely that was just referenced rather than filmed as Conaty wasn’t even in the 3rd series?

Was the use of 'Both Sides Now' a tribute to SMB favourite 'Love Actually'? It's even the same version!

No. It's a tribute to the genius of the writer of the song when she could write those words when she was 25 and break your heart, and then re-record it 35 years later offering a totally different perspective on those same words - plus the manner and depth of the performance - with the added simple inclusion in the mix of lives led by both the writer and the listener... and break your heart all over again.

It matters not within what it has been featured.

But it was pretty apt in After Life. And in Love Actually.

In my opinion

Back