Africans and water

Adverts on the tele tonight, charity ones about wanting a few quid a month so people can have clean water.

I haven’t really analysed this before tonight but what the fuck is going on with the leaders of these countries and when are they going to get their shit together? If Water Aid can bang a pump in for a few hundred quid why on Earth are kids dying in 2019 because they can’t be guaranteed clean water?? The technology advances we have seen here in the last 50 years but Africa still can’t provide clean water to people despite countless billions in aid and charity. It’s bloody indirect genocide, we should send in the army and shoot all their ministers until they can demonstrate they can install governments that aren’t corrupt. Rant over, sorry.
What i want ot know is how comes Oxfam can give a family clean water for a few bob a month when Yorkshire Water charge me best part of 50 notes?

Why don't rich governments of formerly colonial outposts of the west whose natural resources were plundered for hundreds of years whilst keeping the population in abject poverty whilst also creating fake national boundaries where previously only tribal territories existed, thereby creating civil unrest and a future of division, sort out the basic needs of their famine and drought ravaged populations of poor uneducated people?

Tough one.

Tidied.

Adverts on the tele tonight, charity ones about wanting a few quid a month so people can have clean water.

I haven’t really analysed this before tonight but what the fuck is going on with the leaders of these countries and when are they going to get their shit together? If Water Aid can bang a pump in for a few hundred quid why on Earth are kids dying in 2019 because they can’t be guaranteed clean water?? The technology advances we have seen here in the last 50 years but Africa still can’t provide clean water to people despite countless billions in aid and charity. It’s bloody indirect genocide, we should send in the army and shoot all their ministers until they can demonstrate they can install governments that aren’t corrupt. Rant over, sorry.
They don't benefit from surplus level 1 resources, making it a nightmare to develop.

Ironically the best thing for many african states would have been to be still under governance of European rule.

Why does the apparently fifth/sixth richest economy in the WORLD have so many homeless people and a chronic food bank issue?

Do you need some clues?

We have relative poverty but it isn't real poverty in the sense of starving to death. It simply means you can only afford a 26 inch tv instead of an 80 inch 4K.

Here are the top 10 African presidents with the most expensive jets

I'm currently in Uganda with Africa's largest river at the bottom of the garden and Africa's largest lake just 7km upstream. We regularly have no running water, and most of the local villagers have never had it at all - we see kids carrying jerry cans up from the river every day. Just a few kilometres inland from the river and lake, everyone is reliant on rainfall.

We are also less than a kilometre from a $900 hydroelectric dam funded by the World Bank. Since we arrived here last year I think we've had one day without a power cut. Most of the electricity is exported to Kenya. The high-voltage pylons on our side of the river have never had the lines installed.

I've known Africa all my life, and on most scores things are worse now than they were in the 1970s. No amount of do-gooding charities and NGOs will turn things around.

Ironically the best thing for many african states would have been to be still under governance of European rule.

They 'took back control'.

Last edited:

Back