Affidavit

• Thread starter Deleted member 22162
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 22162

2 and 1/2 years ago I sussed our accountant at the time wasn't filing VAT returns and had given us fraudulent banking details for the three quarters that we had been using him. He'd been keeping the money in a holding account (along with other clients' I later found) and spending it on holidays, homes, private members clubs, hospitality at the cricket, all sorts judging by his Instagram account. Luckily, we managed to get the money (a 5 figure sum so not a small amount) back off him almost immediately.

Last week, our current accountant who we've used ever since contacted me to say he'd taken on a new client who was found to be £200,000 in the hole with HMRC as a result of the same crooked accountant we had originally been using. Question for the SMB - if you were asked for a witness statement re: the above, to sign an affidavit and potentially give verbal testimony in court... would you get stuck in, even though you were never left out of pocket in the end?

2 and 1/2 years ago I sussed our accountant at the time wasn't filing VAT returns and had given us fraudulent banking details for the three quarters that we had been using him. He'd been keeping the money in a holding account (along with other clients' I later found) and spending it on holidays, homes, private members clubs, hospitality at the cricket, all sorts judging by his Instagram account. Luckily, we managed to get the money (a 5 figure sum so not a small amount) back off him almost immediately.

Last week, our current accountant who we've used ever since contacted me to say he'd taken on a new client who was found to be £200,000 in the hole with HMRC as a result of the same crooked accountant we had originally been using. Question for the SMB - if you were asked for a witness statement re: the above, to sign an affidavit and potentially give verbal testimony in court... would you get stuck in, even though you were never left out of pocket in the end?
If I was asked I'd just tell the truth

You might have been lucky but what about those who weren’t? Or any of their clients in future?

I put the word out to as many of our peers who I knew were using the same fella as I could think of; about half of them turned round and said - "I've been using him for years and had no problem, but thanks" :neutral:

Wonder how many of them found gaping holes in their accounts down the line

Nah, I wouldn’t report him. I’d let him continue robbing other people because it doesn’t directly affect me. Why would I want to help others?

To be honest I feel the same about any crime. I’ll warn my friends & family about something but don’t care if it happens to someone I don’t know.

Yes. He tried to rob me. I wouldn't forgive he just because he failed.

Nah, I wouldn’t report him. I’d let him continue robbing other people because it doesn’t directly affect me. Why would I want to help others?

To be honest I feel the same about any crime. I’ll warn my friends & family about something but don’t care if it happens to someone I don’t know.

No need to get sarky like. I did a lot at the time to warn people and bring him to justice - including handing over all my notes to HMRC. This was 2 and a half years ago and they clearly did zilch to stop him.

I've already written and sent the witness statement anonymously fwiw. Was only contacted today to ask if I'm willing to be named, sign the affidavit and potentially testify in person as well.

If you live in the UK then they can summon you to give evidence and it would be contempt of court to refuse. I'd prefer to have it set down on paper in advance in the form of a statement.

It isn't about getting stuck in for revenge but stating the truth for those who were not so fortunate.

If you live in the UK then they can summon you to give evidence and it would be contempt of court to refuse. I'd prefer to have it set down on paper in advance in the form of a statement.

Even if I had chosen to remain anonymous?

It isn't about getting stuck in for revenge but stating the truth for those who were not so fortunate.

Some of those who are realising they were “not so fortunate” will be people who were told by me over two years ago to stop using him tbf
If you have been asked to provide evidence, surely you are no longer anonymous?

I was asked by my current accountant to provide a statement to help the client who is 200k down in their case - he said it can be anonymous originally but I’m now being asked to come forward and be named.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of those who are realising they were “not so fortunate” will be people who were told by me over two years ago to stop using him tbf
Bully for you but that doesn't mean much in the scheme of things and I doubt that will be an aspect of the charges that carries any weight.

You’re not anonymous though are you, how did they ask you for your affidavit?

as above
Bully for you but that doesn't mean much in the scheme of things and I doubt that will be an aspect of the charges that carries any weight.

If you tell someone in great detail they are likely being defrauded and they turned around and said “nah x person wouldn’t do that to me”, how’s that bully for me?

Last edited by a moderator:
as above

If you tell someone in great detail they are likely being defrauded and they turned around and said “nah x person wouldn’t do that to me”, how’s that bully for me?
That was kind of the point I was making.
That whole Avenue is immaterial to the crimes committed.

Back