Advice? Thinking about starting out as a hobby

Jelly Belly

Striker
What advice would you give for anyone starting out? Decent camera, software etc?

*Apologies Just seen the sticky*

Last edited:

Don’t do it unless you want to end up spending lots of money ;)
Haha I'm starting out with a small budget and searching Ebay. I'm looking at the Sony A6000 to start out, seem to be a fair few between £250-£350. If I am any good and start to take it seriously with that, I'll then start to look at getting better equipment

Haha I'm starting out with a small budget and searching Ebay. I'm looking at the Sony A6000 to start out, seem to be a fair few between £250-£350. If I am any good and start to take it seriously with that, I'll then start to look at getting better equipment

That is how most people start :lol:

In general, I would say that if you spend money on good lenses you can get a lot of that back (whereas cheaper lenses are worth next to nothing used). Camera bodies generally get made obsolete by newer models, so the value of them will almost certainly tumble.

That is how most people start :lol:

In general, I would say that if you spend money on good lenses you can get a lot of that back (whereas cheaper lenses are worth next to nothing used). Camera bodies generally get made obsolete by newer models, so the value of them will almost certainly tumble.
Yeah that's what a mate of mine who does it for a living has basically said, it's a minefield though and for the uninitiated like myself it's like looking for a needle in a haystack

Friend of mine is selling Sony full frame kit, I think a7ii and 24-70 lens, bag tripod etc. Hardly used for the last two years. Wont be as cheap as the 6000 though, probably wants close to £1k for everything

Whatever you buy or bought, do not forget to have fun with it. That is the important part.

And of course, posting your images for us all to see also. ;)

Back