Advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancho

Laundry Manager
Staff member
I'm needing to buy a couple of spare batteries for a Canon 6D as a Christmas present.

Are aftermarket versions ok or should I stick with genuine Canon batteries.

By the way what does decoded mean when used in a description of aftermarket batteries.

Thanks in advance.

I'd stick with Canon, I bought a couple Duracell ones for my 6D and they didn't show the battery percentage and ran down really fast

I'm needing to buy a couple of spare batteries for a Canon 6D as a Christmas present.

Are aftermarket versions ok or should I stick with genuine Canon batteries.
I asked a similar question on here for my Canon SS100 and was told that the cheap versions were fine. I have one Canon battery that came with the camera and one that isn't a Canon battery which cost me around £6 as opposed to £28 ish. No difference between the two for me. I also bought a cheap "Nikon" (not Nikon obviously) battery and I can't tell it apart from the battery that came with the Nikon camera. Just research properly and make sure you are getting an exact equivalent.

If the camera blows up you'll only have yourself to blame though! ;)

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/battery-buying.992860/#post-19057007

Last edited:
I use aftermarket ones in the 6D, the ones I have work ok. They don't last quite as long as the genuine ones, but have seen a lot of use over the last 3 years and are still fine and were a lot cheaper.

As @oROSSo said, some can have problems with the coding/battery percentages, so watch out for that when buying and ensure 100% compatible.

I've started using Hanhel Extreme for my Canon 5d3. No problems with coding and last just as long as my canon batteries. There will probably be one for the 6d.

I've started using Hanhel Extreme for my Canon 5d3. No problems with coding and last just as long as my canon batteries. There will probably be one for the 6d.
Everything has to be extreme for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back