Advice on cheapest way to get around London

Love the ease of the contactless malarkey but what happens at Wembley station when it’s rammed. On arrival for the CT final I waited until the barriers closed before I scanned and went through, much to the annoyance of people who were just piling on through behind. Would your journey be classed as incomplete?

Not walking.
Flying in to Gatwick Saturday then got to get to Marble Arch. Will then be dodging around the centre Saturday and obviously Wembley on Sunday.
Now I know there's information online I've spent an hour looking but I'm still confused.
I've activated my contactless but I've since read as it's a foreign card, it might not be a good idea.
I doubt Oyster is any good for a few days?
And what about the Travel card?

Also can any of these be used for my train journey from Gatwick to Victoria? Ta very much in advance.
Oyster or contactless.
Walk, it's ace waking round London.
Everything is so close together.
Under no circumstance buy single tube journey tickets.
It's about 4.50 iirc.

Love the ease of the contactless malarkey but what happens at Wembley station when it’s rammed. On arrival for the CT final I waited until the barriers closed before I scanned and went through, much to the annoyance of people who were just piling on through behind. Would your journey be classed as incomplete?
Just use contactless if gate is open, if orange light on contactless pad turns green it has registered

Zones 1-6 is capped at £12.80 per day (Gatwick is zone 6); see here.

I don't think the Gatwick Express is covered by that but the normal service isn't actually that much slower anyway. Just get whichever local train is going to Victoria or London Bridge.

It would be insane to do anything other than use contactless.

Just ensure that you tap, even if the gate-line is open. If it doesn't register the tap then you can make the journey correction on-line if you've registered your card.

Last edited:
Zones 1-6 is capped at £12.80 per day (Gatwick is zone 6); see here.

I don't think the Gatwick Express is covered by that but the normal service isn't actually that much slower anyway. Just get whichever local train is going to Victoria or London Bridge.

It would be insane to do anything other than use contactless.

Just ensure that you tap, even if the gate-line is open. If it doesn't register the tap then you can make the journey correction on-line if you've registered your card.
Cheers

Not walking.
Flying in to Gatwick Saturday then got to get to Marble Arch. Will then be dodging around the centre Saturday and obviously Wembley on Sunday.
Now I know there's information online I've spent an hour looking but I'm still confused.
I've activated my contactless but I've since read as it's a foreign card, it might not be a good idea.

Also can any of these be used for my train journey from Gatwick to Victoria? Ta very much in advance.
what about using your mobile, googlepay or apple

Not walking.

If there are 3 of you, a good chance the Train Company dies a Groupsave, which is basically 3 travel for the price of 2. You have to ask them for it usually at the ticket counter rather than the machine as they don't publicise it very well.

You will be able to buy all in travelcard which will include tubes and buses in London as well as trains.

As other poster said, don't use Gatwick Express its a rip off just like its Heathrow counterpart.

Not walking.

Shopping trolley (of which there are many) half bottle of vodka (£7-£9 evem at london prices) suspend on a stick with (negligible cost) corral/tempt a couple of homeless and then enjoy a leisurely tour of our capital
Expect minor detours to investigate random sights and sounds and if you have snared a couple of Jock street surfers- the occasional delay while they have a violent contre temps with an imaginary friend.

Back