Advice on cheapest way to get around London

The way I see it, the amount of money invested in London transport compared to the north east we are entitled to free travel when we’re down there.

I’d recommend getting drunk and leaping the barriers at speed. It’s free, good exercise and thrilling. All the best
I'll definitely be taking up the first of your recommendations

£18 a day now I think.

Nope. You can get a Southern or South Eastern train to Victoria. You could in theory get a train to East Croydon and then start using the Oyster.
No the £18 will be for any time travel. The £12.60 is off peak which will include Sundays.

Not walking.
Flying in to Gatwick Saturday then got to get to Marble Arch. Will then be dodging around the centre Saturday and obviously Wembley on Sunday.
Now I know there's information online I've spent an hour looking but I'm still confused.
I've activated my contactless but I've since read as it's a foreign card, it might not be a good idea.
I doubt Oyster is any good for a few days?
And what about the Travel card?

Also can any of these be used for my train journey from Gatwick to Victoria? Ta very much in advance.

Foreign bank cards get charged once per day for comission fees.

If you've got an oyster card handy, I believe there's a 7 pound cap at weekends.

As for Gatwick in to London, have a look on the train line and see what price the tickets are to Blackfriars.

The rail cards are about 12/13 pound I think. Can definitely use them on the underground but not sure if it would be valid for the Thameslink train to Blackfriars from Gatwick.

Foreign bank cards get charged once per day for comission fees.

If you've got an oyster card handy, I believe there's a 7 pound cap at weekends.

As for Gatwick in to London, have a look on the train line and see what price the tickets are to Blackfriars.

The rail cards are about 12/13 pound I think. Can definitely use them on the underground but not sure if it would be valid for the Thameslink train to Blackfriars from Gatwick.
Going to go direct to Victoria Station on Southern railways. It seems like contactless is the way to go for the weekend

When you get back and have all costs added up by using contactless, let me know how much it comes to. For future reference.
I will mate. I've done the research and whatever cost it is it's only one transaction a day.

I hope this thread will or has been useful for other posters who don't go to London much. Cheers

Last edited:
Only if I don't get charged a transaction charge each time.

Yes, I've been told that, cheers

The contactless only charges once per day. It waits to see how many journeys you do and then either charges you for them in one hit or caps it if you have gone over the dailly maximum. I would assume the same would apply to a foregin card so you should only see one transaction (which may include a transaction fee and a currency exchange fee). Should still be fairly cheap if doing a lot of journeys.

Back