Advice on cheapest way to get around London

Not walking.
Flying in to Gatwick Saturday then got to get to Marble Arch. Will then be dodging around the centre Saturday and obviously Wembley on Sunday.
Now I know there's information online I've spent an hour looking but I'm still confused.
I've activated my contactless but I've since read as it's a foreign card, it might not be a good idea.
I doubt Oyster is any good for a few days?
And what about the Travel card?

Also can any of these be used for my train journey from Gatwick to Victoria? Ta very much in advance.

Contactless is great unless your foreign bank charge per transaction (like mine do).

Oyster cards are easy - can just top up £10 initially and see how you go.

Contactless is great unless your foreign bank charge per transaction (like mine do).

Oyster cards are easy - can just top up £10 initially and see how you go.
How do I find out if they charge? I never use my card back in the UK so I don't have any records to check. How much do yours charge you?

A couple of years ago I didn’t have an Oyster so for odd days I just used to get a one day all zones ticket at stations over the counter or out of the machine. £12.60 off peak (which Sunday would be). Usable on all trains tubes and buses. I’m sure they still do them.

So can I use the Oyster on the local trains from Gatwick? And I presume I can buy one their?

Nope, it would charge you once a day. TfL take the money for the journeys you've made over the course of a day. So if you were in London for two days, TfL would take two payments for your travel on Sunday and Monday for example.
If that's correct it will be the way to go. So next question. Can I use contactless on the regional train from Gatwick?
I'm not special needs honestly although I am a special needs teacher

Last edited:

Back