Advice needed!

JHmackem

Winger
Wise ladies and gents of the smb, I need some advice. Parked my car at a friend's house in Gateshead on Sunday night before going out for some drinks. Came back to my friend's house where I was staying and went to sleep. Woke up Monday morning about to leave and a police officer was taking the statement of a bloke who's house I'd parked outside of. Went to get in my car when the police officer said he needed to get a statement from me. Turns out my car had been crashed into by a bloke who was three times over the legal limit and drugged up. After crashing into my car he proceeded to drive down the street and plough through the living room of his ex girlfriend's house. Police showed up and he legged it, only to be caught soon after.

My car is a Nissan Juke and the rear side panel has popped out of place, it's got scrapes all down the back and side of the car, and the black plastic grill piece on the rear bumper has melted away where the pisshead was apparently revving his engine whilst having his exhaust pressed up against my car. It's still able to be driven, but I'm not sure what to do next. I've never been involved in anything like this and haven't been driving for that long so not sure what I do with regards to getting my car fixed. I have a crime number and the police officer's details, but that's it. Do I ask for the insurance details of the pisshead (providing he's covered)? Do I have to fork out and pay for this myself? Do I notify my own insurance (knowing my premiums will go up if I do)?

Basically I don't want to have to pay for my car to be fixed when it's clearly not my fault it's fucked, but as I've never had my car involved in a collision before, so I don't actually know if I would have to pay anyway.

Wise ladies and gents of the smb, I need some advice. Parked my car at a friend's house in Gateshead on Sunday night before going out for some drinks. Came back to my friend's house where I was staying and went to sleep. Woke up Monday morning about to leave and a police officer was taking the statement of a bloke who's house I'd parked outside of. Went to get in my car when the police officer said he needed to get a statement from me. Turns out my car had been crashed into by a bloke who was three times over the legal limit and drugged up. After crashing into my car he proceeded to drive down the street and plough through the living room of his ex girlfriend's house. Police showed up and he legged it, only to be caught soon after.

My car is a Nissan Juke and the rear side panel has popped out of place, it's got scrapes all down the back and side of the car, and the black plastic grill piece on the rear bumper has melted away where the pisshead was apparently revving his engine whilst having his exhaust pressed up against my car. It's still able to be driven, but I'm not sure what to do next. I've never been involved in anything like this and haven't been driving for that long so not sure what I do with regards to getting my car fixed. I have a crime number and the police officer's details, but that's it. Do I ask for the insurance details of the pisshead (providing he's covered)? Do I have to fork out and pay for this myself? Do I notify my own insurance (knowing my premiums will go up if I do)?

Basically I don't want to have to pay for my car to be fixed when it's clearly not my fault it's fucked, but as I've never had my car involved in a collision before, so I don't actually know if I would have to pay anyway.

Even though you weren't in it, they crashed into it so they're totally liable for it.
Someone crashed into Mrs K's car when it was parked and I believe she lost her no claims but Mrs K's was fine. Either way the onus is totally on the person who crashed.

Chances are this prick won't have insurance. I hope he does for your sake. Not sure what would happen there.

As far as I'm aware, you've got a crime number and if the bloke's insured your insurance company will go to his.
If he's not you'll probably get compensation.
Wouldn;t worry about it.

As far as I'm aware, you've got a crime number and if the bloke's insured your insurance company will go to his.

Would that mean still losing my no claims bonus? (been driving for only 6 months so technically don't really have any).

If he's not you'll probably get compensation.

I'd have to fork out originally though wouldn't i?

If you’ve got the reg no. of the car that might be enough?

Don't have it yet, but I could get it with a phonecall.

Would that mean still losing my no claims bonus? (been driving for only 6 months so technically don't really have any).

I'd have to fork out originally though wouldn't i?

Don't have it yet, but I could get it with a phonecall.
If it's driveable you could probably wait like.
Quite honestly not sure about the ins and outs, I'd maybe contact your insurance company and ask the crack but hold off from making a claim.

If the insurance find him liable, no.

I would imagine they most definitely will surely, considering his car is still sitting in the living room of his ex girlfriends house and there were witnesses to him hitting my car who have made police statements.

I would imagine they most definitely will surely, considering his car is still sitting in the living room of his ex girlfriends house and there were witnesses to him hitting my car who have made police statements.
Speak to the insurance company. They’ll sort it. That’s why you pay it. At most, you’ll need to pay your excess. You would typically sue the third party for your excess via your insurance. The whole process should be transparent to you: ie you won’t need to sue them directly, your insurers legal bods will.

I had similar - pissed up tart ploughed into the back of me parked up car and fled the scene. She only lived round the block though so the police quickly identified the car n culprit. I got a crime number and it was all sorted out through her insurance with minimum hassle. Was told which garage to go to assess the damage and eventually fix the car, and I had a courtesy car in the mean time. The only thing is I get accident claims people phoning up to talk about the accident they reckon I was in, when in fact I was sleeping off about 10 pints not 30 feet away upstairs in bed. :lol:

I had similar - pissed up tart ploughed into the back of me car and fled the scene. She only lived round the block though so the police quickly identified the car n culprit. I got a crime number and it was all sorted out through her insurance with minimum hassle. The only thing is I get accident claims people phoning up to talk about the accident they reckon I was in, when in fact I was sleeping off about 10 pints not 30 feet away upstairs in bed. :lol:

Did you contact your insurance and give them details of her insurance (or licence plate)? Did you have to pay anything originally (even excess)? And did your premiums go up?

Did you contact your insurance and give them details of her insurance (or licence plate)? Did you have to pay anything originally (even excess)? And did your premiums go up?
If I remember right I think all I did was notify them and I think I only did that in case she wasn't insured. It was all handed by her insurance in the end, and I paid nothing. The car was fixed nee bother after initial thoughts it could be write-off.

I think the police said if she wasn't insured I'd be able to claim back compensation, but as it was it never had to go that far. Police were spot on like.

Would his insurance pay put if he was pissed? A 3rd party I suppose they would have to but can' imagine for his damage they would.

From my time in the business it worked like this...

You call your insurance company and they fix your car, they then recover the costs from the other guys insurance company.
If for some reason the other car had no insurance then it goes to the Motor Industry Bureau to be refunded.

Mrs (no) had a problem a few years ago, she had a bump after one 1 month into a new policy (Sheilas Wheels), they tried to say that
as they hadn't yet recieved proof on no claims, the policy wasn't official and therefore she wasn't insured. I took the phone from the missus,
and explained their responsibilities according to the road traffic act, liability and the contract that existsed between us.
I was put on hold for 5 minutes, passed to the manager who would "allow" our claim under the guise of "Good Customer Service".

I just wondered how many times they had tried this routine on.

In your case, some one has insurance, you aren't liable.

My first line of thought is have you just made all that up for attention seeking purposes?

Back