Adidas Home Shirts - The Complete Collection

It's a simple formula - red and white stripes - so more red than white - roughly 4 red/3 white - the front of the current one is not that bad - but the stripes should go the back too. Black shorts and black socks (red and white trim acceptable). Next season's is awful.

I was buzzing when we got Adidas kits but after the first 2 or 3 the standard dropped, unless you're a Champions League side the majority of teams who get Adidas will just get generic templates - I remember our thin stripes we had in the Championship was the red & white version of Real Sociedad - EXACTLY the same shirt.
I don’t know why people are so surprised by this. Adidas have always used templates, in a lot of cases even for elite clubs. Take Liverpool in the early 90s for example:
Logon or register to see this image

It’s was the same kit as Marseille:

And a few others.

They also gave every goalkeeper in the World the same kit around the 1995 WC

I don’t know why people are so surprised by this. Adidas have always used templates, in a lot of cases even for elite clubs. Take Liverpool in the early 90s for example:

And a few others.

I think what youve shown is a worldwide design to make it immediately obvious theyre the same manufacturer.

The identikits folk moan about are almost sunday league catalogue strips with different badge n sponsors added on. Didnt boro or someone have an identical skyblue kit to us?
Thats just greed when clubs must sell what 5- 20k tops at championship level? Surely that warrants a ‘design team’,itd take about a day per club max.

I think what youve shown is a worldwide design to make it immediately obvious theyre the same manufacturer.
A “worldwide design”? So a template then? I’m pretty sure those 2 kits I posted were straight out of the teamwear catalogue as well because I remember playing for the school football team (Christ knows how) in a 5 aside tournament around 1995/96, and 2 of the other schools had the same kits. Here’s the Japan kit from the same year as the Liverpool and Marseille kits I posted before

Even the “iconic” Germany kit from 1990 was a template:

Adidas, Nike and, to a lesser extent, Puma have always used the same templates for all of their kits, so we can’t really complain when we go with one of those manufacturers and get a template kit.

Last edited:
A “worldwide design”? So a template then? I’m pretty sure those 2 kits I posted were straight out of the teamwear catalogue as well because I remember playing for the school football team (Christ knows how) in a 5 aside tournament around 1995/96, and 2 of the other schools had the same kits. Here’s the Japan kit from the same year:

Even the “iconic” Germany kit from 1990 was a template:

Adidas, Nike and, to a lesser extent, Puma have always used the same templates for all of their kits.

Poorly worded by me I guess.

Maybes far more were just tweaked back then but in an era where its now huge huge business (£50 upwards a shirt ffs) and all the fuss that comes with kitlaunches etc its staggering they just hoy any old shit at the lesser clubs despite sales still being huge (Ill wager we sell more than many prem clubs).

Saw a lad in the pub on sunday whos shirts charity logo hadnt even been printed on properly, all the edges were creased and coming away :oops:

This seasons top (as in one just finished) would undoubtedly be the best for me if it was the same on the back instead of the shite 1 colour panel (perfect width on the strips though). Rest are pretty sh1te and was lazy copy and pasting by Adidas, different teams using the same templates.

Umbro ones were all better for me.

Last edited:

And a few others.

I remember trying to watch Liverpool v Spartak Moscow on me Granda’s black n white portable in the early 90s. Now that was a struggle! :lol:

Like watching evolution in reverse. As a generalisation they've got worse year on year except for this seasons being better than the candy stripe but next seasons is so shit it cancels that out.

1st one was too red and had no black detailing

2nd one was an improvement but i didn't like the sleeves

3rd one would have been lush if it wasn't for the stupid gold trim

4th one was too white but i do like the black on the collar, sleeves and bottom of the shirt

5th one had too much red again and the gold trim was back, pretty hideous really (surprised this one doesn't get more stick really)

6th one, tin hat on if the stripes were the right size and it didn't have a solid back would be a nice shirt but they weren't and it did making it quite hard to look at as its just plain wrong

7th one, was back to basics so not bad but another solid back and no black

As for next seasons...
well it's just an abomination let's face it

Between 3 and 4 for the best
5 and 6 were shite but this new one is truly truly awful

To sum up Adidas can fuck off
Ive came to the conclusion you'd twist on 21

For me the stripes have to be deep red. Crimson almost. The lighter red ones look cheap. Umbro were better at getting the red right.

Back