Addiction

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date

Does anybody on here willing to admit they suffer from or have suffered from addiction.

My addiction is gambling ,it has destroyed every little part of my life. I gamble to chase the substantial amount of money I have lost.... In reality I know this can never occur but yet I cling onto that hope.

I've lost friends relationships self respect..ive even been sleeping rough in the past because of gambling.

I used to be really discriminatory towards others that suffer from addiction...but that was so wrong of me.

Gambling is all I've ever known...my safety net ...do I want to break away from it... Nope is the honest answer but the future is a very scary place indeed for me...I wish I could just walk away.....but I'm already planning my next pay day...

If anyone on here suffers from addiction or has suffered I salute you for your openness...and good look battling it....admitting it is a huge step

By the way im very lucky indeed ....I read foggys posts and stuff about Luis Enrique daughter dying aged 9 and I'm thankful that I still have my physical health....
That is supposed to be one of the worst mate. You have admitted it and know what you need to do, I'm sure you'll get loads of support on here from people who have been through the same thing. Good luck may be the wrong term in this case but you know what I mean. ;)

Tramadol.
I still need them for the sciatica and back pain, but I know when I start to cut down on them it won't be pleasant. Doc reckons it'll take at least a year to come off them completely.

Back to tabs - both my parents were smokers.
Both tried to stop several times but went back on.
Both managed to stop permanently upon being diagnosed with cancer.
Both subsequently died of lung cancer.

It’s amazing how much willpower you can summon up when faced with your own mortality. Hence my on again off again belief that for some people addictions are just a sign of weakness.

My parents were born in the 1920s so the extent of the ill effects of smoking wasn’t fully known and everyone seemed to smoke everywhere. They both smoked in the car endlessly on long family road trips with four of us kids packed into a Ford Cortina. They’d go to jail for that now.

But the link with cancer was proven in the sixties so I abide by my judgement that anyone who took it up since then is weak and stupid. And smelly too!

Does anybody on here willing to admit they suffer from or have suffered from addiction.

My addiction is gambling ,it has destroyed every little part of my life. I gamble to chase the substantial amount of money I have lost.... In reality I know this can never occur but yet I cling onto that hope.

I've lost friends relationships self respect..ive even been sleeping rough in the past because of gambling.

I used to be really discriminatory towards others that suffer from addiction...but that was so wrong of me.

Gambling is all I've ever known...my safety net ...do I want to break away from it... Nope is the honest answer but the future is a very scary place indeed for me...I wish I could just walk away.....but I'm already planning my next pay day...

If anyone on here suffers from addiction or has suffered I salute you for your openness...and good look battling it....admitting it is a huge step

By the way im very lucky indeed ....I read foggys posts and stuff about Luis Enrique daughter dying aged 9 and I'm thankful that I still have my physical health....
Prayers for you marra, keep talking about it and share your experiences with as many as you can as it will help others and it will help you as well
I used to smoke tailor made cigarettes and moved onto hand rolling tobacco until 5 years ago, nearly.
I also went out drinking a lot with darts and snooker/pool and stuff.
Naturally I refused to say I was an addict...but that's exactly what I was....just not as extreme as some yet certainly more extreme than others.

I managed to give up smoking and drinking in terms of going out regularly.
I go out a few times a year and the odd barbecue where I'll have a few pints/cans.

The best thing I ever done hands down was give up smoking.
As for gambling. Luckily I was put off gambling very early.
I was on a youth opportunity scheme thing when I left school. £23.50 a week. I would go for the bus at the end of the week after picking up my wages and walk to the bus depot with a workmate. He'd stop off at church street fruit machines and put all of his money in to them.
The sickening look on his face was enough to ensure I didn't gamble like that.
The most I bet on is a few quid on the grand national and the odd quid on the odd fruit machine at the shows or whatever, plus the odd few quid on a football coupon.
All in all I'll likely spend no more than a fiver a week, sometimes less.

The one addiction I do have that I cannot stop and refuse to stop is the addiction of loving my family.

I feel for anyone who has an addiction. It's certainly not easy to rid yourself of an addiction no matter what other people say.
When someone walks in and addicts shoes...only then can anyone appreciate the struggle of being one, is.
Well said marra

Last edited:
I've read a few books on addiction, the gambling one scares the hell out of me. One way or another it will eat your money and having no money = sleeping rough or relying on someone else. There are some great services available for addictions - I rang alcoholics anonymous a while back the guy who answered the call was an ex alcy I asked him how he managed to kick the addiction he said he had just had enough of it. That didn't help me but hey ho.

Gambling, spent £50k in 2 years and ruined my life. Smoking, 20 years and fucked my chest, Zopiclone for over 10 years (during the day also), Tramadol for a few years and a little liking for crack when I lived in Holland 20 years ago.
I think a fair assessment is that I have an addictive personality disorder.

Last edited:
Tramadol.
I still need them for the sciatica and back pain, but I know when I start to cut down on them it won't be pleasant. Doc reckons it'll take at least a year to come off them completely.
Had a few of them after breaking my collar bone. Was great fun but I'm glad they only gave me a few.
I've read a few books on addiction, the gambling one scares the hell out of me. One way or another it will eat your money and having no money = sleeping rough or relying on someone else. There are some great services available for addictions - I rang alcoholics anonymous a while back the guy who answered the call was an ex alcy I asked him how he managed to kick the addiction he said he had just had enough of it. That didn't help me but hey ho.
There's some promise I hear in psychoactive substances such as pyslisibin (sp), especially with a guided trip.

Last edited:

Back