According to the OPs on page 1 of this message board right now

• Thread starter Deleted member 46623
  • Start date

This is a depressing thread with fans daggers drawn. Let's just all celebrate the win but hope for better football with more creativity and urgency up front.
There is still time to sign someone with pace up top; to see if Kimpioka (who is quick) can kick on and to introduce Neill into the mix.
I will just agree with Arkle, who dropped Maja's name in a few posts back. If we'd kept him, we'd have gone up. Just shows what can be done with a natural goalscorer -- even if he's a rookie.
Meanwhile, cheer up fellas...it's a decent start.

Good to see you on here - hope you are well

I disagree with you but you're entitled to your opinion and it's put across in a very fair and reasonable manner, while acknowledging the success of the team is important to you irrespective of how it's achieved. It's the people who seem genuinely disappointed or even angry when we win that I can't understand.
People are looking at the bigger picture and are concerned that we aren't going to be promoted. The 3 points are great, but as an attacking force we continue to look poor and it's not an isolated game, it's been the case since we went down. Maja masked the fact and hasn't been adequately replaced.

Although we have added depth to the squad, we don't seem to have improved it much, particularly in forward areas, most of our summer signings are, or will be back ups. The new analytical recruitment strategy seems to have suggested that signing journeymen is the way forward. Nor have we changed the tactics significantly, we are far too reliant on the wing backs and have little other strategy.

Can we get enough wins over the course of a season ? Possibly, but we haven't won enough matches over the last two years because we can't score enough goals and it appears to be happening again.

So I don't think it's the fact that we won that's annoying people, but the fact that we are treading a familiar path which history suggests won't get us enough wins for promotion. But not to worry, if we fail we can do exactly the same next year and see if that works.

Last edited:
People are looking at the bigger picture and are concerned that we aren't going to be promoted. The 3 points is great, but as an attacking force we continue to look poor and it's not an isolated game, it's been the case since we went down. Maja masked the fact and hasn't been adequately replaced.

Although we have added depth to the squad, we don't seem to have improved it much, particularly in forward areas, most of our summer signings are, or will be back ups. The new analytical recruitment strategy seems to have suggested that signing journeymen is the way forward. Nor have we changed the tactics significantly, we are far too reliant on the wing backs and have little other strategy.

Can we get enough wins over the course of a season ? Possibly, but we haven't won enough matches over the last two years because we can't score enough goals and it appears to be happening again.

So I don't think it's the fact that we won that's annoying people, but the fact that we are treading a familiar path which history suggests won't get us enough wins for promotion. But not to worry because if we fail, we can do exactly the same next year and see if that works.
We look defensively strong though

People are looking at the bigger picture and are concerned that we aren't going to be promoted. The 3 points are great, but as an attacking force we continue to look poor and it's not an isolated game, it's been the case since we went down. Maja masked the fact and hasn't been adequately replaced.

So I don't think it's the fact that we won that's annoying people, but the fact that we are treading a familiar path which history suggests won't get us enough wins for promotion. But not to worry, if we fail we can do exactly the same next year and see if that works.
This in a nutshell. Summed up perfectly. Every man and his dog are happy with 3 points. Nobody wants to see us lose but recent history tells us over the course of a season playing the way we are and have done basically for the last 2 years, we will fall short again.
I don't see any team that would fear playing us. Get stuck in, press us and if you get the rub of the green you'll come up trumps. We don't score enough to worry anyone.

Other than Burge being iffy (he's worse than that) and not being able to get out the league with Parkinson, I'd find it hard to disagree with most of that. We were very poor today, there's nothing wrong with people thinking that. Not sure the defence were constantly beaten either, dodgy in the first twenty minutes but that was more because of an inivisible midfield.

What's boring is people on here slagging off other Sunderland fans because they dare to have a different opinion, that's embarrassing.

The majority are delighted with the points total, the majority can also see there are huge issues wit that team, we have a good defence, we have some good players, we need some additions to make it more lively in the attacking sense, we also need the manager to utilise what he has better. Yet anyone who mentions that wants the club to fail, The OP is the fanny on here
True. It's definitely shifted over the years from being a board where most people went to the games, to one where most people don't (appreciating none of us can at the moment) and come on for a whinge.

Shut up man you wailing fanny, if you cant see any problems with that performance you are blind (did you watch it?) We have a good defence, we have no creativity or pace in midfield, we have 3 of the best paid forwards in the league, none of the fuckers can score and the manager doesnt know which one to use and rotates them, taking up 2 spaces on the bench every week, and the manager also will not give any of the youngsters in the squad, who did so well pre season a chance, he would rather carry on with plodders. Its f***ing magic.Everyone is delighted with the points total, if we hadnt been so f***ing utterly turgid in the first half v Rovers we would have had 9 points, it took about 70 minutes before Parkison realised we needed to do something. If you are going to whinge about something, whinge about our owners, the academy dismantlement, our lack of creativity, our toothless strikers,our one dimensional manager, but, leave the supporters who want better out of it.

Last edited:
The majority are delighted with the points total, the majority can also see there are huge issues wit that team, we have a good defence, we have some good players, we need some additions to make it more lively in the attacking sense, we also need the manager to utilise what he has better. Yet anyone who mentions that wants the club to fail, The OP is the fanny on here

Shut up man you wailing fanny, if you cant see any problems with that performance you are blind (did you watch it?) We have a good defence, we have no creativity or pace in midfield, we have 3 of the best paid forwards in the league, none of the fuckers can score and the manager doesnt know which one to use and rotates them, taking up 2 spaces on the bench every week, and the manager also will not give any of the youngsters in the squad, who did so well pre season a chance, he would rather carry on with plodders. Its f***ing magic.Everyone is delighted with the points total, if we hadnt been so f***ing utterly turgid in the first half v Rovers we would have had 9 points, it took about 70 minutes before Parkison realised we needed to do something. If you are going to whinge about something, whinge about our owners, the academy dismantlement, our lack of creativity, our toothless strikers,our one dimensional manager, but, leave the supporters who want better out of it.

If I'd said I couldn't see any problems you may have had a point, however badly expressed.

This all day, delighted with the points, but the manager is a coward, and I fear his limited thinking will have us miss out again. I was fine after the Hull game as we played a promotion rival off the park. But we got lucky yesterday.

Its just as knee jerk to suggest that we are all of a sudden an excellent side, weve started like we should the problem with the fan base is weve endured a horrific 5 years and we have now accepted mediocre but to call parts of a fan base embarrassing is unacceptable. Win promotion then theres an argument to be had.

Would I have taken 7 points from 9 before a ball was kicked? Absolutely!
IMO no team will run away with the league, it’s going to be hard fought all season and we are doing exactly that.
Parkinson seems to set his sides up to nullify the opposition in the 1st half and then turn the screw in the 2nd. It is what is but it is working. Peterborough will be up there for most of the season so that was a fantastic 3 points. For once I can enjoy the 3 points but if others want to whinge then that’s up to them but only one gives you a positive feeling and in these shitty times I’m taking what positives I can.

Its just as knee jerk to suggest that we are all of a sudden an excellent side, weve started like we should the problem with the fan base is weve endured a horrific 5 years and we have now accepted mediocre but to call parts of a fan base embarrassing is unacceptable. Win promotion then theres an argument to be had.

I genuinely haven't seen anyone suggest we are an excellent side. If they have they must be on hallucinogenics.

Considering the teams we've played so far, 7 points from some poor play has got to be acknowledged as an approved outcome.
Peterborough have been consistently strong in the beginning of the last two seasons and Oxford were the in form team prior to Covid-19.
Back the lads and fingers crossed for improvement on the field, but no reason to get all worked up just yet.

He is doing exactly what the likes of Bradfords supporters said he would. Very dull to watch but effective, since 29th Jan we've won 11, drawn 5 and lost 3. That's 38 points in 18 games which is pretty much title winning form or a very close second. It's been f***ing awful (painful at times) to watch but it's been what they said it would be. I personally hate watching it but you can't argue with the results since new year

If this board shows you anything its that alot of our fans are a f***ing embarrassment
I think the problem with social media is that it Can create the illusion of a ground swell of opinion when the reality is many folk ignore it altogether. Negativity on this forum Does not mean a lot of our fans are negative. It means 50-60 people with negative views have been venting.
Im happy with a win, the clean sheet but concerned that our forwards pose no goal threat. Too early to tell whether we are going to keep playing crabby football and eventually start not getting results or whether the good results and tight defence will gradually give us the Confidence and platform for better performances. ( as for example happened under Durban).
Given the points haul I’m optimistic it will be the latter.

This^ you would think we had lost if you just came on here and didn't know the result
Conversely some posters eulogise about our team and performances as if we were Champions League contenders, the reality is we’re an average team in a poor league grinding out results, it’s not pretty but if it achieves promotion then job done.

Back