Accent analysis

Sunderland for me, and I deliberately chose "splinter" rather than "spelk" when I saw the map saying "spelk" is only used in the NE. I do use both.

Like a lot of people at the beginning of this thread it got me wrong because it said I'm from Sunderland and I'm not. But as Sunderland is in County Durham (I don't recognise Tyne and Wear in this context) it's reasonably close. But there is a distinct difference between how I speak and the way that Sunderland natives speak.

But what I’d like to know is, WTF is a “hoddy dod”?

I'd hazard a guess that it's a snail. Hope this clarifies in a sarcastically obvious style.

Like a lot of people at the beginning of this thread it got me wrong because it said I'm from Sunderland and I'm not. But as Sunderland is in County Durham (I don't recognise Tyne and Wear in this context) it's reasonably close. But there is a distinct difference between how I speak and the way that Sunderland natives speak.

I'd hazard a guess that it's a snail. Hope this clarifies in a sarcastically obvious style.
I would think it doesn't go into specific detail beyond probably Sunderland and Newcastle, though having said that has anyone had Newcastle come up at all?

But wouldn't those same folks also do the same for pull? Like they would for the 'a' in Barth, charnce, Frarnce etc?
There's probably a linguistic reason why but it's much less common. It's a less extreme version of a cockney saying 'Pull the other one you facking dall cant.'

Another 2 from Sunderland in the office - both born in Aberdeen (one brought up in Banff - although his family came from Sunderland).

I think this quiz might actually be a bit shit.

Back