Abusing the opposition keeper

My old metalwork teacher when I was at secondary school was Bobby Carlisle. Goalkeeper for Cliftonville in the Irish league during the 80’s. On more than one occasion he’d question some of us on a Monday in class. “Was that your dulcet voice on Saturday behind my goal referring to me as a wanker?” “No sir, definitely not me” :) To be fair he always took it in good stead. An excellent teacher and absolute gentleman he was too when I met him in later years as an adult myself. Almost feel bad now about the stick I gave him back then. Almost :)

Remember we played arsenal a couple of times in a week at roker. I missed the first one cos I was on holiday but just before kick off in the second a voice from the fulwell shouted 'aye seaman you bastard I'm here this game an all'. No idea what happened in the first game but seaman turned round and laughed.

Remember we played arsenal a couple of times in a week at roker. I missed the first one cos I was on holiday but just before kick off in the second a voice from the fulwell shouted 'aye seaman you bastard I'm here this game an all'. No idea what happened in the first game but seaman turned round and laughed.

3 times actually League fa cup then FA Cup replay crazy thing was Ian wright missed all 3 because he was suspended certainthe Cup game was the beauty Bergkamp goal

I remember that well... every time he visited. The last time must have been about 10 years after it had happened.
I’m also sure he remarried (I might be making it up now) and brought his new missus to Roker and had to explain to her why he was getting pelters with the “Tina” chant 😀

I'm not sure if all clubs did it, but bigging-up the opposing keeper only to give him the Vs always amused me. I think it must have happened at most grounds as I remember one or two expressing mock-horror at the barrage of abuse. Anyway, this morphed into just continuing to applaud about 25 years ago (what a crock of shit).

What happens these days? I can't rightly remember the last time I got into the ground with enough time to see the keepers going to their goals.

Slightly off topic but anyone remember the millwall keeper from the 90’s who would wear a mask as they entered the field

Fred something maybe

I’m also sure he remarried (I might be making it up now) and brought his new missus to Roker and had to explain to her why he was getting pelters with the “Tina” chant 😀

That does ring a bell; however, I've checked on Wiki and it looks like he split from his missus in 2011. The original episode took place in 1980.

I've a memory (doesn't mean it's real) of a keeper getting the big applause, falling for it and as soon as he waved getting pelted with snowballs, anyone know if this actually happened, might be Nigel Martyn?

Back