Abusing the opposition keeper

I'm not sure if all clubs did it, but bigging-up the opposing keeper only to give him the Vs always amused me. I think it must have happened at most grounds as I remember one or two expressing mock-horror at the barrage of abuse. Anyway, this morphed into just continuing to applaud about 25 years ago (what a crock of shit).

What happens these days? I can't rightly remember the last time I got into the ground with enough time to see the keepers going to their goals.

I'm not sure if all clubs did it, but bigging-up the opposing keeper only to give him the Vs always amused me. I think it must have happened at most grounds as I remember one or two expressing mock-horror at the barrage of abuse. Anyway, this morphed into just continuing to applaud about 25 years ago (what a crock of shit).

What happens these days? I can't rightly remember the last time I got into the ground with enough time to see the keepers going to their goals.
Remember doing that to Karl Pilkington at old Trafford in 1996, he really fell for it and you could tell he was gutted 😂

At MK Dons our fans were split into two sections at either end of the stand so the goalie didn't have anyone behind him. Bless him!

Nothing much happens now. I can remember Fraser Digby trying to act nonchalantly when it happened to him, only for him to trip up in front of the Fulwell End.

Eric Nixon feigned laughter, holding his belly, thinking he was great only to spill a tame shot into his own net shortly afterwards prompting a ear - splitting rendition of 'Nixon is a wanker' from the Fulwell. What fun

We had tremendous fun having a go at the keeper at Bradford when they were playing Mansfield, we had been going to see us v Notts County which was postponed when we were half way there, think he was an ex Boro keeper and we gave him (good natured) abuse all game, was flicking the V's at us during the game :lol: gave him a big cheer at the end and he applauded us, fucker kept a clean sheet so so much for it putting him off his game!

We had tremendous fun having a go at the keeper at Bradford when they were playing Mansfield, we had been going to see us v Notts County which was postponed when we were half way there, think he was an ex Boro keeper and we gave him (good natured) abuse all game, was flicking the V's at us during the game :lol: gave him a big cheer at the end and he applauded us, fucker kept a clean sheet so so much for it putting him off his game!

Most keepers would burst into tears now

I remember that :lol::lol::lol:
One of my first games as a kid was watching Jimmy Rimmer with Villa, he come running over and the crowd all singing his name then when he clapped they all gave him the Vs :lol::lol:

The more experienced keepers knew it was coming, and they'd time it correctly to turn their backs on the fulwell roughly when they got to the D of the penalty area.

Back