Abuse of vulnerable people at County Durham hospital.

Of course it can be missed, if it's not in camera and you aren't there when it happens how are you supposed to know it's happening?

It’s a small care home man, not a general hospital. A handful of patients. There is no way to miss the sort of abuse portrayed on that programme without turning a blind eye. They weren’t exactly hiding it and the culture there was one of abuse.

It’s a small care home man, not a general hospital. A handful of patients. There is no way to miss the sort of abuse portrayed on that programme without turning a blind eye. They weren’t exactly hiding it and the culture there was one of abuse.
Well its a bigger building than it looks, I have been inside it and there is plenty of opportunities for staff to go on like this, maybe that is something that could be learned from this, the old corridors and pokey design was ripe for poor transparency.

Well its a bigger building than it looks, I have been inside it and there is plenty of opportunities for staff to go on like this, maybe that is something that could be learned from this, the old corridors and pokey design was ripe for poor transparency.

The building design is fine, I know it reasonably well and I know the assistive technology that they have too.

A half-decent registered manager would ensure that things like this would never go on in their scheme. It’s a failure of oversight and management. There are so many checks that would normally be in place in a residential or supported living scheme, large and small, that would safeguard against abuse like that going unnoticed.

I suspect that the recent sellers will be having their lawyers thoroughly check their warranties and liabilities this past 48 hours.

The building design is fine, I know it reasonably well and I know the assistive technology that they have too.

A half-decent registered manager would ensure that things like this would never go on in their scheme. It’s a failure of oversight and management. There are so many checks that would normally be in place in a residential or supported living scheme, large and small, that would safeguard against abuse like that going unnoticed.

I suspect that the recent sellers will be having their lawyers thoroughly check their warranties and liabilities this past 48 hours.
I don't see how, we didn't see anything on camera that would leave bruising, most of it was psychological and emotional abuse, I have worked in plenty of safeguarding around emotional abuse and it's virtually impossible to prove for criminal charges or even to get people sacked, you can keep making referrals and hope that a few years down the line other people have also made referrals and that usuall at least results in the staff or patient being moved elsewhere.

Fantastic news.

Brilliant work from Panorama, especially the poor lass who had to watch and record it all in person. I don't think I could have bit my tongue.
Hopefully charges and convictions to follow.

Fantastic news.

Brilliant work from Panorama, especially the poor lass who had to watch and record it all in person. I don't think I could have bit my tongue.
Hopefully charges and convictions to follow.
One of the lads mams has blamed the lass filming. Said she'd been there 3 months and if she felt that bad she should have said something :eek:

Only humans! all other animals don't do this, and yet we call these people animals ! Ironic

Someone wanna tell this fella about dolphins and orcas?

There will be some staff I. That home who are fantastic who have lost their jobs and tarnished through these people. It’s awful.

No sympathy from me. If your colleagues are up to no good like they have been and you put a smile on your face and do nowt but continue to work and pick up that pay cheque, you’re just as bad.

If it was me working there I’d have have sparked every one of the ***** bullying those people and then the people employing them would have been next.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nowt much will probably get done (as per usual regarding the law..) but I hope it does. These people are sick individuals who not only get a kick out of hurting people, not only get a kick out of hurting people with special needs, but also those "locked" down in a centre who cannot fight back or do anything. Sick sick fuckers. Hurting people by nipping skin where nobody can see it to get more reactions, putting loads of blokes in a room with the girl who freaks out with blokes, the shit with the teddy bears and balloons, etc. is just f***ing cowardly. These are the types who could eventually take that to the next level once their kicks stop working for them.

Hopefully whoever is managing the place also gets whats coming, there is no way you couldn't know what was going on to some degree surely? Even the shouting outside at the lass getting irate would make you tell them off but nothing seemed to have been done!?

As horrible as that was, I was glad to watch it so I can see the sick fuckers still about in this day and age. Hopefully these twats get some jail time in a really bad jail and get victimised themselves to see what its like.

Last edited:
I don't see how, we didn't see anything on camera that would leave bruising, most of it was psychological and emotional abuse, I have worked in plenty of safeguarding around emotional abuse and it's virtually impossible to prove for criminal charges or even to get people sacked, you can keep making referrals and hope that a few years down the line other people have also made referrals and that usuall at least results in the staff or patient being moved elsewhere.

Agree, emotional abuse is difficult to spot but in my experience of working with people with LD, the most virtuous characteristic in many cases was their honesty, even those who struggled with verbal communication, you’d notice changes in their behaviours, anxiety etc. Proving it of course is nigh on impossible but what it should prompt is a course of action that alleviates the change in behaviour, at the very least. That’s how care planning works. It should evolve.

A good Manager will know the service users, will know the care plan, will know how to spot subtle changes in a service user and above all, will know the staff and what they are capable of. If there was the odd bad person, they’d be out.

A good Registered Manager is worth their weight in gold.

The only positives to come from this is that the people responsible have been caught and will be held accountable. The Panorama investigation and subsequent arrests will have sent a shockwave through the care community and hopefully others who mistreat patients will think twice before doing so.

The only positives to come from this is that the people responsible have been caught and will be held accountable. The Panorama investigation and subsequent arrests will have sent a shockwave through the care community and hopefully others who mistreat patients will think twice before doing so.
I doubt anyone in care was shocked and for the relatively few deliberate abusers it won't be any kind of disincentive, behaviour change for those people is rarely motivated by risk of being caught because they want to behave in that way. It does present an opportunity to look at the processes that lead to failing cultures, improvement in recruitment, leadership and external independent scrutiny but sadly, whilst a portion of our society see people with a learning disability as " less" in some way than " normal" people it will still happen. We really need to have a society that values and accepts difference be that in cognitive ability, gender, race or religion. Sadly we seem to have moved away from that tolerance over the last ten or fifteen years to a more selfish " them and us" view whether we're talking about learning disabled people or asylum seekers.

Back