Abuse in gymnastics/figure skating.

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 45378

Obviously it goes without saying physical or sexual abuse of young athletes is disgusting.

But I noticed one of the things our British gymnasts were criticising the coaches was because they were told that they were too fat and needed to lose weight which lead to some of the girls developing anorexia in later life.

Controversial to say but most sports organisation in the world will be testing the body weight /fat percentage of its team to try and gain a competitive edge.... Football teams boxers jockeys, swimmers. The big question is should we be doing this on young people whose bodies may not have fully developed. I guarantee the Chinese and Russians wouldn't think twice about weighing its athletes at a very early age.. Should we as a country be doing it?

If you want to reach the top in any sport then you need to make sacrifices. I think that some of these athletes don’t recognise that and believe that a one hour class, once a week, will lead to a gold medal in the Olympics. It won’t.

They need to practice constantly, watch what they eat and generally sacrifice a lot of the normal behaviour of teenagers in order to be the best. If that is too difficult for them, then they should walk away and take up drug taking and alcoholism like their peers.

If you want to reach the top in any sport then you need to make sacrifices. I think that some of these athletes don’t recognise that and believe that a one hour class, once a week, will lead to a gold medal in the Olympics. It won’t.

They need to practice constantly, watch what they eat and generally sacrifice a lot of the normal behaviour of teenagers in order to be the best. If that is too difficult for them, then they should walk away and take up drug taking and alcoholism like their peers.

I was agreeing until that last line.. Wow

Gymnasts reach their peak at 13/14. There’s surely something unethical about elite sport taking place before before the athletes minds are mature enough to make their own independent decisions.

Might be a balance thing ( Hur Hur ) . We get individual reports of anorexic individuals with ruined self esteem but what are the lives like of those that went through the process and came out validated by achievement , determined , successful , team aware and health and fitness commited .
You never hear from them. Just sayin.

You have done well here, you have ignored the whole point of the thread and instead given the kids a straight up choice between becoming an athlete or a crack whore.

Gymnasts reach their peak at 13/14. There’s surely something unethical about elite sport taking place before before the athletes minds are mature enough to make their own independent decisions.

So ban children from the sport. You wouldn’t allow a thirteen year old to drive a F1 car in a race so why allow children to compete in sport at a professional level? Make a minimum age for competitive sports that are physically demanding. We can have Olympics in Shove ha’penny and dominoes instead for children.

Back