Absolutely no muscle - Help

Calorie wise (if you're 67kg/175cm) what should you be looking at?

Use this mate

If you have the time/can be arsed, it helps massively to track carbs, protein, fat if your goal is muscle/weight gain

Use this mate

If you have the time/can be arsed, it helps massively to track carbs, protein, fat if your goal is muscle/weight gain

Yep, well onto all that, been tracking everything religiously for the past 18 months shifting 82 pounds off.

Looking to seriously start putting on some muscle now after six months or so of training, currently eating 2500 cals (118g protein, 281g carbs and 68g fats) but usually weighred more towards protein.

I literally can’t do 1 press up mate

That’s the level I’m talking about

You can scale a push up to make things easier fella. Try doing a push up with whilst on your knees rather than a straight plank. Pretty much every exercise can be scaled to make them accessible when you’re starting out.

Best of luck with the progress fella 👍

Another thing you can do is try and find something that will make you feel accountable. It is all good saying you want to do it but you will need something that will make you do it. I use strava for accountability, I commit to paid online yoga sessions and atm virtual medals for running. I also set myself a few targets each year to try and obsess over. You could buy yourself a fitness watch or something that will motivate you.

It is too easy to quit without things to keep the mind motivated.

I can't stress this enough, I have zero muscle in my arms or anything, or anywhere really. I am pretty thin but just never really exercised like that since I was 16 and started on the drinl (I'm 32).

Pathetically weak, it would be nice just to have anything, even so I can lift and carry stuff :lol:

I feel bit embarrassed posting this even, but what are you meant to do? Just like start lifting those little weights? Just looking for something basic to do in the house. I look at them and think I wont even be able to lift them.

Literally any advice be good, feel free to take piss too.

I am around 73kg and 5'11 and currently I am doing a lean bulk, where I've increased my calorie intake by around 300-500 calories a day taking it upto around 3,000 calories. I do a lot of running and weight lifting apart of my training.

I have increased my protein intake where I am consuming more eggs, cereal and meat such as tuna and other fish. I choose fish due to the high protein low fat content. Unfortunately you will put on a bit of fat when building up muscle. When you put on enough muscle you can start the cutting process where you lower your calorie intake after the bulk to burn off excess fat, whilst keeping muscle.

I would advice against protein shakes as I feel they are a waste of money when you can just eat proper food, plus they have been known to be detrimental towards your health.

Calorie wise (if you're 67kg/175cm) what should you be looking at?
Just aim for around 2500.

From this, you want to be eating 148 grams of protein per day (1 gram per pound of bodyweight) - that’s 588 calories, and increasing this with each pound of bodyweight you gain. With the rest of your calorie intake coming from good sources of carbs and fat. Eat stuff like potatoes, sweet potatoes, oats, rice, almonds. Eat as much fruit and as much veg as you want. If you go slightly over or you’re slightly under 2500 calories, it’s not a big deal.

Don’t overthink this. Especially if you’re newbie, as you’ll grow like a weed anyway.

Some solid advice on this thread (I don't have a massive amount new to add but will give my perspective below).

Definitely worth checking out the macro calculators - food will always be more important than training.

Start small - if you can't do one press up make that your aim, then move your target to two, then three. Then have some bigger goals to works towards, say ten press ups in six months time. I find visualisation helps me too (if you aren't aware of visualisation this is a starter - Visualization Techniques to Manifest Desired Outcomes | Jack Canfield - can be applied to more than your strength goals too).

Most importantly, find something you're going to stick to and make it habitual. E.g. Don't say you'll attempt a press up every hour on the hour when your work day is full of three hour meetings... Even if you start with every morning you'll roll out of bed and try and do a press up, commit to it and try it every day for a month. You may amaze yourself with how far you get. Consistency will always lead to more gains than spurts of exuberance.

It would be handy to know what, if any, equipment you have access to. Albeit, as evidenced on this and other threads, lack of equipment doesn't limit you from making a start. Love the story of the lad on here who did his mile farmers walks each day.

Hope you've made a start and all the best on your journey.

Some solid advice on this thread (I don't have a massive amount new to add but will give my perspective below).

Definitely worth checking out the macro calculators - food will always be more important than training.

Start small - if you can't do one press up make that your aim, then move your target to two, then three. Then have some bigger goals to works towards, say ten press ups in six months time. I find visualisation helps me too (if you aren't aware of visualisation this is a starter - Visualization Techniques to Manifest Desired Outcomes | Jack Canfield - can be applied to more than your strength goals too).

Most importantly, find something you're going to stick to and make it habitual. E.g. Don't say you'll attempt a press up every hour on the hour when your work day is full of three hour meetings... Even if you start with every morning you'll roll out of bed and try and do a press up, commit to it and try it every day for a month. You may amaze yourself with how far you get. Consistency will always lead to more gains than spurts of exuberance.

It would be handy to know what, if any, equipment you have access to. Albeit, as evidenced on this and other threads, lack of equipment doesn't limit you from making a start. Love the story of the lad on here who did his mile farmers walks each day.

Hope you've made a start and all the best on your journey.
This is actually a key principle right here, which is not just true for beginners. All gym goers would do well to remember this.

Progressive overload: do more than you did the last time.

Last edited:
SS + GOMAD

Nah, in seriousness:

Eat yourself to calorie surplus from a diverse selection of foods, getting a moderate amount of protein (1g per lb of LBM, so around 0.8ish for simplicity sake).

Pick efficient multi joint exercises. These are also very time efficient across a training week if that's an issue/excuse.

Increase the load you're using during resistance training over time.

Use good form. People always say this, but it really needs to be emphasized. Not just for injury prevention, but for maximising the efficiency of what you're doing.

Be consistent over time.

Don't be a gym cookie cutter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and sleep. Not just for growing and the gym but I've found that having a regular (even at weekends) sleep pattern where I get sufficient sleep makes an absolute world of difference to training and life in general.

Do you think it has a major impact on recovery from aching and sore muscles?

Do you think it has a major impact on recovery from aching and sore muscles?

From personal experience I couldn't really say - I started to sort sleep at about the same time I started training. So it's not as if I can say I used to get sore but now I don't. But, generally, I never really feel sore from training. Maybe if I've had an enforced break but not once I'm in a rhythm. Now, that may be because I don't go bez (I want to be doing this in thirty years time, not hit it so hard that I'm knackered in three) and I'm comfortable as long as I'm making progress, even if it's slow. But it could also be to do with sleep, diet, general life outlook. Plenty of research on overall benefits of sleep, so I'm sure that it will contribute.

Back