ABS Warning Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweet Songbird

Central Defender
I drive a Peugeot 207 and last night was driving home from work, hit/ran over a branch that was lying in the road (didn't see it until the last minute as the car in front went over it too). Just after I ran over it the ABS warning light flashed up with a message "faulty ABS system".

Was breaking okay for the rest of the journey home, but worried now it could a serious problem.

Rang the dealer this morning for advice and was told to ring them on Monday morning to arrange to take her in. When I asked is it still safe to drive with the light flashing, they suggested best be safe not to.

Anybody had a similar problem and did you still drive it or wait until somebody looked at it?

It's still gonna slow the car down when you break, so it's drivable... Take it to the bottom of the street and do an emergency stop... If it locks up the light is genuine... If not, take the bulb out...

You may of damaged the sensor..... Which is not a big job.

Good idea to try a emergency stop though

Probably just damaged the ABS sensor or knocked it out of alignment. Have a look yourself, you can probably bend it back not place, or it's pulled the wires loose.

Having worked as a mechanic for almost 15 years, I see this problem a lot. Like others have said, probably just damaged the ABS sensor or knocked it out of alignment. Gan dee an emergency stop.

I drive a Peugeot 207 and last night was driving home from work, hit/ran over a branch that was lying in the road (didn't see it until the last minute as the car in front went over it too). Just after I ran over it the ABS warning light flashed up with a message "faulty ABS system".

Was breaking okay for the rest of the journey home, but worried now it could a serious problem.

Rang the dealer this morning for advice and was told to ring them on Monday morning to arrange to take her in. When I asked is it still safe to drive with the light flashing, they suggested best be safe not to.

Anybody had a similar problem and did you still drive it or wait until somebody looked at it?

chances are the tree has damaged the wire which connects to the sensor on the hub (where the wheel bolts to). not a big job, but id imagine the dealer will have your eyes out regardless.

personally id recommend you dont drive it, even if they seem like they are working. chances are the brakes will be fine and abs systems go into normal braking mode anyway if there is a fault, but it would be wrong to advise you to drive it without seeing the car as it could be anything, your call realy. remember brakes are the only thing which stop the car.

anyone who tells you drive it without seeing the damage, just ignore.

Last edited:
Happened on my car a few weeks ago

The sensor was fucked, or as Bristow said could be brake pads

My traction control light came on aswell

They'll have said not to just to cover them. If they'd said it's fine to drive and your brakes fail...

But as suggested try a couple of emergency stops and some cornering breaking just to be sure. If feels ok i'd drive it but take my time and get it looked at.

Abs sensors are notoriously fragile. I've had two broken by clumsy mechanics. I would get it seen to, but Unless its the same light as brakes in general then the worst that can happen is you will brake in a straight line, like all cars did pre 1985. That said, I am not a mechanic so don't hold me responsible if you crash and kill yourself!

Abs sensors are notoriously fragile. I've had two broken by clumsy mechanics. I would get it seen to, but Unless its the same light as brakes in general then the worst that can happen is you will brake in a straight line, like all cars did pre 1985. That said, I am not a mechanic so don't hold me responsible if you crash and kill yourself!

That's when mine was knackered after they changed brake pads

Fuckers tried to say the light was on when I took it in, ABS light, traction control and flat tyre sensor where lit up like Xmas

Brake pad wear is seperate to abs alert,any garage can sort it don't go do dealers,new sensor 20-30 quid easy to fit

Thanks for some of the advice guys. Managed to get on my knees this morning to have a look under the car, looks like there is a wire hanging just behind the rear right wheel, I guess that must be the wire connected to the sensor.

Thanks for some of the advice guys. Managed to get on my knees this morning to have a look under the car, looks like there is a wire hanging just behind the rear right wheel, I guess that must be the wire connected to the sensor.
sounds like the abs sensor wire then as said. shouldnt be to much to sort, go to an independant though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back