Abs for the *cough* older bloke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Striker
Reet I've set myself a fitness goal of obtaining visible abs this year.
I'm six feet and hover a bit below twelve stone so hardly a porker but just have that area of softness behind me belt that I want rid of.

Done a load of research (reading, asking around, talking to trainers at the gym etc) and among other things advice includes

Loads of crunches, sit ups etc
Hit the weights targeting large muscle groups
Knock carbs on the head
L-carnetene to burn fat
BCAAs for recovery
Vitamins to burn fat
Endless cardio to burn fat
Overload protein (150g per day)
Core stuff like planks, stability ball stuff

Etc etc.

I'm in decent shape and can get to the gym regularly and on other days run, swim, bike etc. I don't mind putting the graft in, I'm just sick of all the confusing and contradictory bollocks thrown around. I wonder if there are any 'mature' (old) blokes out there who have successfully achieved this goal and can thus attest to what definitely works and what is just unnecessary shite? Cheers!

The only way to get visible abs is to reduce your body fat % to probably less than 15%, without that you can do all the planks & crunches in the world & your rock solid abs won't be visible.

Just before my 2 main target races for the year I'm normally just above 15% & I can just about see the lines.

Running alone doesn't seem to alter my body fat %, it takes a combination of running, strength training & reducing my calorie count.

I don't really bother with supplements or specific diet plans, I just track my macros & try & make sure that anything over or under my daily allowance gets evened out over the course of a week.

Just eat healthier , exercise, do the plank and do some sit ups/crunches... its not rocket science , trying to do some extreme routine you just wont stick with and back to square one.

Just eat healthier , exercise, do the plank and do some sit ups/crunches... its not rocket science , trying to do some extreme routine you just wont stick with and back to square one.
Aye but without being on any particular programme I already eat healthy.

No bread, rice pasta.
Fish only, no meat or birds
Plenty fruit and veg, yoghurt
Low processed stuff, canned stuff, salt and sugar
Almost zero alcohol

Do exercise as stated most days.

What's this about macros? What should my targets be?

Reet I've set myself a fitness goal of obtaining visible abs this year.
I'm six feet and hover a bit below twelve stone so hardly a porker but just have that area of softness behind me belt that I want rid of.

Done a load of research (reading, asking around, talking to trainers at the gym etc) and among other things advice includes

Loads of crunches, sit ups etc (no, do 8-15 reps max, progressing with weights like any other muscle group)
Hit the weights targeting large muscle groups ( yes 100% )
Knock carbs on the head (definitely not)
L-carnetene to burn fat (bollocks, cal deficit diet)
BCAAs for recovery ( glucosamine, lglutamine will be better for recovery, BCAA also and repair.
Vitamins to burn fat ( no, but vits and minerals (micronutrients) are essential and if missed will eventually slow fat loss results)
Endless cardio to burn fat ( definitely not, i walk one hour a day )
Overload protein (150g per day) (thats not overloaded, that probs just abour right for your height and weight 1g per lb of lean body weight)
Core stuff like planks, stability ball stuff (for beginners, with pissy weak core, not for ppl who are going for abb mass )

Etc etc.

I'm in decent shape and can get to the gym regularly and on other days run, swim, bike etc. I don't mind putting the graft in, I'm just sick of all the confusing and contradictory bollocks thrown around. I wonder if there are any 'mature' (old) blokes out there who have successfully achieved this goal and can thus attest to what definitely works and what is just unnecessary shite? Cheers!

Please see above replies in bold.

No bullshit advice

Learn about calories and macros, energy balance, cals in vs cals out.

I'd personally bulk for year if was you, because if you're 12 stone (168lbs) and not yet shredded that means you're gonna finish around 150/158lbs shredded enough to see visible abs. At 6ft you're gonna look skinny as fuck.

I'm 6ft 1 at 213lbs 11% body fat, I'll probs finish at 205lbs at 7/8% and I have BORDERLINE enough muscle mass at my height. The reason I know this is all my life i tried to get shredded and have abs, when i got there i looked like one of those skinny boxer kids or some fukcer thats been locked up in a concentration camp. only in the last year have i finally achieved enough muscle to cut this low. I reckon you'd get half way through your cut, realise you're losing size, get a few comments of people around you worried about your current weight etc and you'l sack it off and bulk.

Bulk now, build 15lb muscle minimum, then cut slow.

It's just friendly advice though, it's your life and up to you and whats important is you do what MAKES you happy

Please see above replies in bold.

No bullshit advice

Learn about calories and macros, energy balance, cals in vs cals out.

I'd personally bulk for year if was you, because if you're 12 stone (168lbs) and not yet shredded that means you're gonna finish around 150/158lbs shredded enough to see visible abs. At 6ft you're gonna look skinny as fuck.

I'm 6ft 1 at 213lbs 11% body fat, I'll probs finish at 205lbs at 7/8% and I have BORDERLINE enough muscle mass at my height. The reason I know this is all my life i tried to get shredded and have abs, when i got there i looked like one of those skinny boxer kids or some fukcer thats been locked up in a concentration camp. only in the last year have i finally achieved enough muscle to cut this low. I reckon you'd get half way through your cut, realise you're losing size, get a few comments of people around you worried about your current weight etc and you'l sack it off and bulk.

Bulk now, build 15lb muscle minimum, then cut slow.

It's just friendly advice though, it's your life and up to you and whats important is you do what MAKES you happy

interesting stuff - what exactly entails 'bulking'?

There's nee way I want to be anywhere near 200 lbs like. I'd have to buy a whole new wardrobe ... and I own about 25 suits and 40 jackets!

Not another mid-life crisis playing out online :rolleyes:

Bollocks man. I already have a Harley!

At this age I can either slide into the autumn of my life on a buffet of indolence and sloth or else make sure whatever I do in terms of bait and exercise is gonna maximize the effort and effect. Remember I have a toddler to stay fit for.

interesting stuff - what exactly entails 'bulking'?

There's nee way I want to be anywhere near 200 lbs like. I'd have to buy a whole new wardrobe ... and I own about 25 suits and 40 jackets!

basically eating a caloric surplus which will allow sufficient amount of nutrients for your body to grow optimally. If you're in a calorie negative state then you will be lucky to keep the muscle you have never mind build it.

basically eating a caloric surplus which will allow sufficient amount of nutrients for your body to grow optimally. If you're in a calorie negative state then you will be lucky to keep the muscle you have never mind build it.

Hmmm. Interesting again. Last summer I hit the gym hard four times a week weights plus cardio onnother days. Adjusted my diet. I actually went from 171 to about 163, at the same time increased amount of pull ups I could do, bench press weight, leg press etc. and knocked several minutes off the previous year's triathlon time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back