Aberfan

Me neither it was the first time I’d seen my dad cry

I came home from school to find my Mam sitting on the floor in front of the tv breaking her heart.
Regardless of whether that's true, a royal visit on its own wasn't going to be relevant to the bereaved parents.

It isn’t true. A visit by the Queen while they were still digging through the ruins would have been a distraction. Lord Snowden was there in his capacity as a photographer and Philip represented the Queen.

Don’t forget that the Queen was also the mother of children around the same age as those who died. It’s nonsense to suggest that she was unaffected by the event. She may be Queen but she is also a human being despite claims of lizard descent.

Last edited:
The NCB didn't seem to learn much from this. I remember as late as about 1977 the slag heaps at Ferryhill next to the main line were absolutely vast though the didn't have any houses near them.

read the book Aberfan by Gaynor Madgwick, she was a child who was trapped in the school and she tells her story and she confirms Lord Snowdon arrived by train with a spade strapped to his suitcase and helped out , it’s a must read and tells what the government and NCB did and not do
I came home from school to find my Mam sitting on the floor in front of the tv breaking her heart.

It isn’t true. A visit by the Queen while they were still digging through the ruins would have been a distraction. Lord Snowden was there in his capacity as a photographer and Philip represented the Queen.

Don’t forget that the Queen was also the mother of children around the same age as those who died. It’s nonsense to suggest that she was unaffected by the event. She may be Queen but she is also a human being despite claims of lizard descent.

Remember coming home from school that day and my Mam a strong woman was in tears.
It was on the telly and she was distraught, I couldn’t believe it.

Back