A690/A19 junction 'works trial'

What’s worse is the road markings have both lanes with straight ahead arrows. It provokes conflict once two cars try to merge at the Board Inn side.
Yes, agreed.
The markings should be straight on for the inside lane, and right turn only for the outside lane.
If the drivers don't know the local road layout, then there will be such problems.

Shouldn't be any conflict. Merge in turn. It's easy, but people in the left lane try to not let people in out of principal.

😁

But there is regularly and I blame the principle which is set by the road markings. There’s a far better way which avoids any problems.
There’s also a bus stop outside of the pub which means there are occasions where you have cars merging from two to one plane and the traffic stops when a bus stops.
It’s utterly nonsensical.

Or maybe they simply do not expect some fucker to try and squeeze in from the outside lane just after the roundabout where the pub is?
That's their error then. Not those doing what road markings and highway code say.
But there is regularly and I blame the principle which is set by the road markings. There’s a far better way which avoids any problems.
There’s also a bus stop outside of the pub which means there are occasions where you have cars merging from two to one plane and the traffic stops when a bus stops.
It’s utterly nonsensical.
I'm inclined to agree the road markings are at fault.

Last edited:
Heard on the radio it caused up to 45 mins delay this morning. How predictable. And that doesn't factor in people who drove a different way in this morning (like me)

seen that it was backed up to houghton cut this morning at 8:15 when i was heading into durham
yep, traffic started at the bottom of the cut at 8.45 this morning heading towards Sunderland. Didn't help that a mini bus had broken down on the bank either like.

Last edited:
It was spot on for me this morning. Normally, when I enter the roundabout from Durham Road, I immediately hit a red light to allow people on from Doxford Park. That light was actually green this morning. In fact, there was barely a queue getting onto the roundabout.

WDSC

Same as traffic lights on a lot of roundabouts. The ones recently switched on full time in Shields are a pain in the proverbial.

It’s like keeping thlights on all night when you go to bed.
Totally pointless.

Whoever decides things like that should be put in the stocks so everyone can boot them in the face, erm chuck wet sponges at them.

Back