A19

Does my head in. My car has the adaptive cruise (I know, look at me etc) so it keeps a safe distance from the car infront but people go mad wanting to be past despite the fact there's a car in front of me. Seems unless I tailgate too it's not acceptable for them.

do companies still have fixed starting times?? thought nearly everywhere was flexi now.

Not really, at least none of the call centre types don’t.

Wouldn’t have helped today delays were around an hour at least.

Your right about one thing though absolute helmets driving. I see them everyday pulling into lanes in front of other vehicles, veering out of the lanes (probably on phones), tailgating.

The sheer look of absolute terror when it snows is mad as well.

Last edited:
thankfully i dont use the a19 now, its just if it knocks onto the joining 689. its bad no matter what the weather - its just a combination of crap drivers, volume of traffic and lots of junctions.
i'll be retired before they do anything to sort it out. the best thing will be automated driving if they ever sort it out. every car doing 70mph, cars joining and leaving and just slotting into traffic without getting people to slam on brakes.

thankfully i dont use the a19 now, its just if it knocks onto the joining 689. its bad no matter what the weather - its just a combination of crap drivers, volume of traffic and lots of junctions.
i'll be retired before they do anything to sort it out. the best thing will be automated driving if they ever sort it out. every car doing 70mph, cars joining and leaving and just slotting into traffic without getting people to slam on brakes.
I said on another thread a week or two back driving doesn't interest me in the slightest any more. I've done my time on the roads, had some great drives all round the UK, but these days it's just soul destroying. I think I'd rather be sat in a queue of traffic moving at a constant 50 mph on the "smart" motorways than the stop / start accelerate like an eejit then slam the brakes on shit you see on a lot of the A roads though.

Train for me whenever possible these days.

Well not everyone will have a self-driving vehicle so how good will the AI be at spotting the bells that don't have a clue how to use a slip road?

Son is caught up in this trying to get from Peterlee to Middlesbrough.
Tried to avoid by diverting through Hartlepool now stuck on A689 still short of Billingham turn off, hardly moved in 45 minutes.
Looks like it may be a bad one as two county cars, an ambulance and a fire engine have forced there way through, hope its not serious.
I done exactly the same, left the house at 7.20 got to the centre of York 10.40 :evil:

Monday is the worst day round here. Getting into Plymouth is a right carryon with a normal 35 minute journey being double that only on a Monday. It’s the same every week too and that’s without any bumps

There was a split arse who had broken down, about 7:30 this morning, north bound approx Seaham area. Massive tail back as she hadn’t driven the car up onto the verge. No hard shoulder obviously.

Does my head in. My car has the adaptive cruise (I know, look at me etc) so it keeps a safe distance from the car infront but people go mad wanting to be past despite the fact there's a car in front of me. Seems unless I tailgate too it's not acceptable for them.

do companies still have fixed starting times?? thought nearly everywhere was flexi now.
Still the exception. Your shop workers, factory workers etc have to be there at a set time.

It's because people drive like f***ing twats. I was on there a few months ago and 5 or 6 cars flew past me all up each other's arses. If the first one hit owt the rest would have piled into each other before they had a chance to get their foot off the accelerator never mind brake..
It’s just a bit of rubbing Harry... and rubbings r....

I said on another thread a week or two back driving doesn't interest me in the slightest any more. I've done my time on the roads, had some great drives all round the UK, but these days it's just soul destroying. I think I'd rather be sat in a queue of traffic moving at a constant 50 mph on the "smart" motorways than the stop / start accelerate like an eejit then slam the brakes on shit you see on a lot of the A roads though.

Train for me whenever possible these days.
Give me a London commute over the commute in the car up here any day of the week. At least on public transport you can relax and read a book, rather than losing your temper at some idiot in a car.

Plus you can have a couple of beers straight after work.

Give me a London commute over the commute in the car up here any day of the week. At least on public transport you can relax and read a book, rather than losing your temper at some idiot in a car.

Plus you can have a couple of beers straight after work.
ooh dunno like, the Northern Line ate the remaining parts of my soul at times.

Back