A19

There's a good half mile, possibly closer to a mile stretch from the chester le street slip road up to the 1231 turn off, yet people insist on either getting across as early as possible, or as late as possible, instead of just waiting for a big enough gap!

Exactly the same on the other side!

There's a three lane motorway goes to Grimsby with not a car on the bloody thing!
A1M is going to be much the same when they finally complete the work around Catterick. Nice wide 3 lane stretch through rural North Yorkshire condensing into 2 when you hit the busier areas of Darlington/Durham :lol: Same in the opposite direction when you hit that bastard stretch between Ferrybridge and the M18 :evil:

As I travel Southbound through the tunnel the A19 has always been my go to road when heading south but think I'll be giving the A1 a go when the roadworks finish to avoid the carnage on the A19 most days.

Wish my phone had some kind of "driving mode" whereby theres no alerts etc. I know windows phones have something like this but who has those pieces of shite these days??

Should put something in the car that as soon as your phone goes near it it disables any kinds of alerts and calls coming in. would be so much better.
what a good idea. there you go, you can make your first million

my niece, her husband and 2 children were on their way to Germany, when their car broke down. everybody out of the car and on the bank. as they turned round an artic thundered into their car and wrote it off. all be dead if they didn't get out.

It's only going to happen more regularly. Just today I was next to a lass in a golf. from turning right at testo's to us exiting for hebburn I reckon she was looking at the road a max of 10% of the time. seriously she was mostly glued to her f***ing phone occasionally glancing up for a quick scan of the road before gawping at fyacebook (or whatever) again. f***ing shocking behaviour....

For the record I was a passenger in a car in the next lane so was perfectly able to keep my eyes on the dangerous wad the whole time ;)

It's only going to happen more regularly. Just today I was next to a lass in a golf. from turning right at testo's to us exiting for hebburn I reckon she was looking at the road a max of 10% of the time. seriously she was mostly glued to her f***ing phone occasionally glancing up for a quick scan of the road before gawping at fyacebook (or whatever) again. f***ing shocking behaviour....

For the record I was a passenger in a car in the next lane so was perfectly able to keep my eyes on the dangerous wad the whole time ;)
agree. lack of prosecutions for careless driving leads to people thinking they can do what they want. Honestly where are peoples heads. have they not seen the news or read the papers about deaths caused by people using phones

Just about to start a thread. A19 just before the cross over the wear a car has gone into the back of a lorry in a lay-by. Wanted to stop but I couldn't as another car had filled it and were running towards the car. Smashed to bits, looked awful, from what I saw (I could see through the window even though the pace was still reasonable) I'd be amazed if they weren't dead unfortunately :neutral:

Just about to start a thread. A19 just before the cross over the wear a car has gone into the back of a lorry in a lay-by. Wanted to stop but I couldn't as another car had filled it and were running towards the car. Smashed to bits, looked awful, from what I saw (I could see through the window even though the pace was still reasonable) I'd be amazed if they weren't dead unfortunately :neutral:
Just driven into the back of the stationary vehicle off the road?

Often pull up in lay-bys for extended periods in my van when I'm either waiting to go to my next job or catching a few Z's after a long stint but it has to be one of those that 'horseshoe' off the main drag. I can never relax in one at the roadside as I'm always shitting myself that somebody will plough into the back of me. See it happen all to often :evil:

Often pull up in lay-bys for extended periods in my van when I'm either waiting to go to my next job or catching a few Z's after a long stint but it has to be one of those that 'horseshoe' off the main drag. I can never relax in one at the roadside as I'm always shitting myself that somebody will plough into the back of me. See it happen all to often :evil:
Unfortunately that looks like exactly what has happened tonight

I suppose my plan of lighting lay bys wouldn't stop people nodding off

All lay-bys behind Armco then.

If people fall asleep at the wheel they should be bouncing off Armco or hitting other moving vehicles, who have a good chance of minimising the damage

Not hitting the back of stationary stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
Would be a fairly simple thing (I would think) to fit variable speed sensors to the front of new cars that emitted a loud screeching noise into the lugs of bastard tailgaters whenever they got too close to the vehicle in front. Sensors would be set to x feet per mph the car was travelling at and deafen the twunts when they encroached closer.
Got it on my car... A red triangle appears on the dash when the distance between me and the car in front is too close.

It flashes and beeps if it detects a gap closing at speed.

It took me 2 hours to do 7 miles on the M6 today and last night it was bedlam. Horrible horrible road.

Last edited:
Got it on my car... A red triangle appears on the dash when the distance between me and the car in front is too close.

It flashes and beeps if it detects a gap closing at speed.

It took me 2 hours to do 7 miles on the M6 today and last night it was bedlam. Horrible horrible road.
You got a merc?

it's crossed my mind a few times moving further south for work reasons. a 17 mile journey to Middlesbrough with no traffic takes me approx. 25 minutes, on a work morning it's comfortably an hour, when they had the Newport bridge closed for a couple of months a few yr ago, it was 90-120 minutes every morning each way.

It's Wolviston junction, absolute dog shit it's far worse than it's ever been. Hate it

A19 is a nightmare in both directions. Tees Flyover to A689 I do everyday and its f***ing ridiculous the amount of accidents and tail backs.Its most days.
Not surprising when you see that bloody junction on the northbound flyover itself

Sometimes it feels like driving in this country is a chore in general, idiotic drivers and congested roads, total nightmare.

I think the only time I enjoy driving (especially when I'm doing my usual trip between Stafford and the North East) is later at night when the roads are calmer.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my way back I had a look at how it was and there was a lorry still in the lay by with its bloody lights off, no car though. I don't know if it was the same lorry but I couldn't believe there was something there.
Anyway, on the way home using the A19 to Durham city I counted no fewer than 8! bloody lorries in lay-bys with no lights on or owt. Something has to be done about this. Light them up.

Back