A19

I dunno why people are so aggressive in general. I was going over the Hylton Bridge northbound a few year ago in slightly congested/ normal traffic. I was going just under 80mph I'd say in the outside lane, overtaking traffic going circa 65mph in the middle lane. This guy races up to me at 100mph+ mph, and starts driving within a foot or two of me (was the worst tailgating I've had). There's about 6 cars in the middle lane I need to pass before a gap where I'll pull over to let him pass, would have taken 45 seconds or so. He proceeds to pull across into the middle lane, then into the left lane (which turns off) accelerates up the left lane to 100+mph, swerves straight across the middle lane into the fast lane. The entire middle lane had to slow down 20mph to accommodate this arsehole and I just don't get it.

I hate people sitting in the fast lane for no reason but if I'm clearly overtaking and there's an obvious gap in front for me to pull into I don't see why the fuck he didn't just wait.
Had this happen on the M8. There was a lorry up ahead restricted to 56, so i slowed down and sat at the lorrys front wheel for a few miles.

I dunno why people are so aggressive in general. I was going over the Hylton Bridge northbound a few year ago in slightly congested/ normal traffic. I was going just under 80mph I'd say in the outside lane, overtaking traffic going circa 65mph in the middle lane. This guy races up to me at 100mph+ mph, and starts driving within a foot or two of me (was the worst tailgating I've had). There's about 6 cars in the middle lane I need to pass before a gap where I'll pull over to let him pass, would have taken 45 seconds or so. He proceeds to pull across into the middle lane, then into the left lane (which turns off) accelerates up the left lane to 100+mph, swerves straight across the middle lane into the fast lane. The entire middle lane had to slow down 20mph to accommodate this arsehole and I just don't get it.

I hate people sitting in the fast lane for no reason but if I'm clearly overtaking and there's an obvious gap in front for me to pull into I don't see why the fuck he didn't just wait.

Dash cam marra, then if nowt else get the fucker uploaded to t'internet and show others what a twat the driver was. If we all did this I reckon over time people might clock on driving like a wanker can come back and make you look just that.

Had this happen on the M8. There was a lorry up ahead restricted to 56, so i slowed down and sat at the lorrys front wheel for a few miles.
Similar today I had someone overtake me on the southbound A1 slip at team valley to join the A1. Single lane he's ragging it up the white lines. When he's trying to merge with the traffic he's pretty much stopped by an artic. I got in behind it and boxed him in at the speed limit.

Bells!

Loads of people avoid it and take alternative routes, I remember when you could turn right into our estate it was like a blood bath nearly every day, they have closed it off now so I have to head south and they go over the castle eden flyover and to back north, I dont mind because it saves lives
Could you not just use the flyover turn off on the roundabout near the Moorcock?

Dash cam marra, then if nowt else get the fucker uploaded to t'internet and show others what a twat the driver was. If we all did this I reckon over time people might clock on driving like a wanker can come back and make you look just that.

Have to say I'm really considering getting one. What puts me off is taking it on/off or it attracting someone to break into my car. I had a satnav for about 2 weeks before my car was broken into. Didn't leave the satnav on the dash board either, someone just saw the stand so decided to break in.

I drive a hell of a lot and see a lot of inconsiderate/ stupid driving and would like the satisfaction of being able to shame the worst drivers.

Aye but some people think it's 100. Others think it's fine to leave a shopping trolleys length between them and the car in front.

I have no problem with people driving fast on near empty roads/ half busy roads when they leave big distances between them and cars in front.

What I cannot get my head around is the aggressive driving; leaving 3 foot between them and the car in front, accelerating then slamming on the brakes etc.

On motorways if I'm going 70-85mph I would always about 80 (?) yards between me and the car in front. Contrary to what people think it makes the traffic move quicker and would almost eliminate crashes if everyone did it. Even leaving large gaps like that it's remarkable how quick you catch the cars in front of you if there's a sudden stop which you can't clearly see in advance. Most people leave about 30 yards and that's probably mostly fine, but anyone leaving 5 yards or so travelling above the speed limit is an accident waiting to happen and they should get points for it. It's needless and dangerous.

Last edited:
It's not the speed. It's people flying across the lanes as they join the road which is the bigger problem.

Hylton bridge is like a death trap.

Exactly this, it's almost impossible to speed during rush hours. The other big problem is driving a car length or less from the car in front. It's phenomenal how many people think it is safe to do this nowadays. You can join the road and see ten or more vehicles in front all shoved up each others arses

Had some tit tailgating me on this road today around 4.30pm and he didn't even have his headlights on. I was doing 75ish, he must have been pushing 100 when I finally got the chance to let him past. Madness - hope he crashed.

I tend to drive the A19 between Teeside and T&W at hours when the traffic has started to quieten a little bit (after 6pm) or when its just starting to get going (6.30 - 7am).

Even in the early morning its amazing how many people are seemingly desperate to sit in a line of traffic and actually make the driving HARDER for themselves. I will often join at Testo's roundabout and will have cars in and around me who refuse to leave the outside lane until its their junction, be it Wynyard, Middlesborough or Thornaby, even though at 7am there is actually lots of available space in the inside lane. Usually I while away the trip by seeing how many times I can end up alongside the same car whilst he is sat tapping on his breaks continually in the outside break whilst I coast alongside the inside lane.

Would be a fairly simple thing (I would think) to fit variable speed sensors to the front of new cars that emitted a loud screeching noise into the lugs of bastard tailgaters whenever they got too close to the vehicle in front. Sensors would be set to x feet per mph the car was travelling at and deafen the twunts when they encroached closer.

Would be a fairly simple thing (I would think) to fit variable speed sensors to the front of new cars that emitted a loud screeching noise into the lugs of bastard tailgaters whenever they got too close to the vehicle in front. Sensors would be set to x feet per mph the car was travelling at and deafen the twunts when they encroached closer.
Aye that wouldn't cause a crash now would it :lol:

Nugget :lol:

Aye that wouldn't cause a crash now would it :lol:

Nugget :lol:
In all seriousness it shouldn't (and I don't really mean blasting their lugs off :lol: ) an annoying beep would do the trick much like you get when you don't have a seatbelt fastened. If we can do it annoy fuckwits that don't wear seat belts then I don't see why we can't do it to annoy fuckwits who drive too close to the car in front.

This time next year Rodney... You won't be laughing at me then :cool:

If the police can measure what speed you're going they should be able to measure the distance between you and the car in front. 80mph with a large gap between you and surrounding cars is safer than 70mph up someone's arse.

Just came through it about an hour ago. Must have happened sometime around 6:30 as it only took me ten mins to get through. 3 cars across two lanes heading Northbound then 2 cars pulled over onto the side of the slip road. Imagine it will be backed up pretty bad now.

Not sure if it's going to a feautre of the future ' driverless cars ' but Surely the there is the technology to install different but controlled speed limits in cars so it does 30 in a 30 40'in a 40 and so on, there can be a 30 second boost function giving you you an extra 5 mile an hour or whatever

Yeah it wouldn't cut out people or checking blind spots or skipping lanes or slip roads but it would control rural driving zones and make situations safer but would remove risk in a lot of ways of driving and police's role !

Wouldn't happen probably cause of lost revenue from fines !

Back