A19 Testo's Roundabout

Used the roundabout yesterday during rush hour coming up tha A19 and turning left for Newcastle- straight through, no hold up, maybe 30 seconds at the lights. Mind, I was so preoccupied with the news works that I nearly drove over the flyover instead of joining the new/old slip road for the roundabout. Cool story bro.

Now the bridge is finished I didn't expect the A184 to be closed when turning left at Whitemare Pool heading east on Saturday tea time, had to drive down and use the A195/A1231 - wonder what they were doing?

Typical. I started a job at Silverlink 2 weeks before the triple-decker roundabout works started, so had all that faff of that for 2 years. Then once that was done, they immediately started on Testos, which I then had to put up with.

And now, everything should be great? nah, I no longer work at that office, so its all for nowt. Glad for everyone else though.
I started at Silverlink just when they were building the second tunnel, they just got that done then dug up the Silverlink roundabout, then when they finished that they started on Testos - I'm suprised they havent come round to dig the end of my street up now Im working from Home.

I started at Silverlink just when they were building the second tunnel, they just got that done then dug up the Silverlink roundabout, then when they finished that they started on Testos - I'm suprised they havent come round to dig the end of my street up now Im working from Home.
Its nice to know someone has it worse than me :lol:

The speed cameras have been removed from A19, North side of Testos, was over this morning.

If you come on from the Chester round roundabout, you only pass one camera. Loads of signs down the side telling you there's average speed cameras but only one camera

Cheaper
We aren’t a Tory constituency and getting bribes
Good husbandry and all thate

A cross roads here wouldn't work at all as there's too many different directions of travel. A roundabout with traffic lights has a much better capacity than a pure crossroads so you'd be going backwards unless there's only one or two flows when lights can be better (which isn't here). You just have to look at the mess at the Downhill Lane junction 100m down the road and that had the A19 running underneath and has a less traffic using it than Testo's did.

It's nothing to do with bribes, it's just investing in places which actually need investment. If you want to bring politics in then it's underinvestment for 30 year, it should've been done years ago; the same as Silverlink, Moor Farm and Seaton Burn.

Last edited:
The problem I find with the new Testos, especially when leaving the A19 heading north, turning right towards Boldon, is the traffic lights seem to sit on red for far too long. You have to go through two sets before leaving the junction but most times I've done it, cars have ran the red light when heading east from the A184 so the cars on the roundabout itself need to wait for them to clear before moving but the queue at the second set of lights which are stuck which makes it slow going.

The problem I find with the new Testos, especially when leaving the A19 heading north, turning right towards Boldon, is the traffic lights seem to sit on red for far too long. You have to go through two sets before leaving the junction but most times I've done it, cars have ran the red light when heading east from the A184 so the cars on the roundabout itself need to wait for them to clear before moving but the queue at the second set of lights which are stuck which makes it slow going.
The flyover bit is quite good but the bridge is rusty and will collapse (probably)

I am not a structural engineer but hey, when did facts ever have a place on the SMB.

Apple maps now tells me that it’s quicker going from Fulwell to Chester le St via Testos and the Motorway than via Washington, as it has been for the last 15 years. Never thought that would ever be the case.

The flyover bit is quite good but the bridge is rusty and will collapse (probably)

I am not a structural engineer but hey, when did facts ever have a place on the SMB.
I love the flyover itself it's class. Same steel used as the Angel of the North apparently. It looks better on the Angel though

Back