A19 Testo's Roundabout

Its absolutely unfathomable. I drove past it daily, and if there were 5 people working each time, that would be good. But let's say 50 people worked full time for all 2.5 years, and they were billed at £80,000 each per year. That's £10m.

So what did they spend the other £115m on?

You comment on echo articles don't you

Its absolutely unfathomable. I drove past it daily, and if there were 5 people working each time, that would be good. But let's say 50 people worked full time for all 2.5 years, and they were billed at £80,000 each per year. That's £10m.

Doley.

Yeah, at least I wasn't doing that trip when they were building that. Mind, I wouldn't have taken the job if there wasn't a 2nd tunnel.

Mind, how in the world do they manage to spend £125m on that flyover. Its a bit of digging, some metal and some road.
A farmer who my brother used to work for sold part of his land for a stretch of the A19 to be built, he then got the contract to build the road.
Nice little earner.

It does seem that way.
You comment on echo articles don't you
I do not.
I can't even read the echo iirc, you need a subscription don't you?
A farmer who my brother used to work for sold part of his land for a stretch of the A19 to be built, he then got the contract to build the road.
Nice little earner.
I hadn't considered the cost of purchasing the land. Obviously at a nice premium considering they couldn't exactly "just buy some land elsewhere instead".

Last edited:
It does seem that way.

I do not.
I can't even read the echo iirc, you need a subscription don't you?

I hadn't considered the cost of purchasing the land. Obviously at a nice premium considering they couldn't exactly "just buy some land elsewhere instead".
You need a prescription to read the echo it’s rubbish
10 things we learned about why the echo is rubbish
A good local paper destroyed
travelling from east to west will be much easier as the massive percentage of people who travel north - south directly wont have to stop at the roundabout, thus the timing of the lights will be able to be changed to favour the now busier approaches of the east and west. where as before, the north south approaches would have had 'priority'
A lot of people turn right at the roundabout to go to Sunderland or Newcastle or up or down the a19
A cross roads with traffic lights would of been a cheaper option

Last edited:
What are they doing on Abington Way on the stretch between Testos and the roundabout with the swans?

Looks like they’re widening it to create an extra lane heading towards Boldon but mebbes not if they’re finishing in a few weeks.

Chips tabs and “bum crack monthly”

As have I mate, but there's been fuck all on the road for a good year of them anyway. The fact you can't see how it will help traffic east yo west is rather strange, and that is what I was angling at.

Oh, I see now. Well angled.

Yes, you're quite right, it is strange that I couldn't see that. Perhaps it's that you are more intelligent than I am: in fact, thinking more, that must be it. And you've shown real persistence all day to get to your point, too. Well done!

Meanwhile shall we see how the traffic lights at Testo's are set, though... if it's the same as in Sunderland I'll carry a book in the car and get through a chapter each journey.

Typical. I started a job at Silverlink 2 weeks before the triple-decker roundabout works started, so had all that faff of that for 2 years. Then once that was done, they immediately started on Testos, which I then had to put up with.

And now, everything should be great? nah, I no longer work at that office, so its all for nowt. Glad for everyone else though.
I think there only intention was to build it for you but you let them down by moving offices.

I see you’re a qs now too, is there no end to your talents?!?

Last edited:
I think there only intention was to build it for you but you let them down by moving offices.

I see you’re a qs now too, is there no end to your talents?!?
You seem to have a vested interest. So perhaps this is a good question for you.

A flyover seems relatively simple. They're done all the time. Even Peterlee got one. Yet if the traffic they expect (85,000 cars per day) goes over that flyover every day for 100 years, each trip will work out as £25.

The 2nd tyne tunnel was only £10m more than this flyover. Doesn't that seem mind boggling to you?

You seem to have a vested interest. So perhaps this is a good question for you.

A flyover seems relatively simple. They're done all the time. Even Peterlee got one. Yet if the traffic they expect (85,000 cars per day) goes over that flyover every day for 100 years, each trip will work out as £25.

The 2nd tyne tunnel was only £10m more than this flyover. Doesn't that seem mind boggling to you?
Where you getting £25 from there?!? Don’t give up the day job fella maths clearly not your strong point, you’re only out by a factor of 625.

and it’s way more than a flyover, the infrastructure work to the surrounding road network including more than one bridge is all included.

Last edited:

Back