A19 - Multi vehicle crash

Why is the A19 so bad?
Because people drive like twats. Pure and simple. Nothing wrong with the road at all.

Just today I saw 5 or 6 cars doing 70 in probably less space than the approximate safe braking distance between 2 vehicles would be. It looked like a f***ing train they were that close to each other. Seriously if the first one ran in the back of something the rest would have followed, they didn't even give themselves the distance to react never mind hoy the anchors on.

These are the twats that should be hammered, not people doing a few mph over the motorway limit

Because people drive like twats. Pure and simple. Nothing wrong with the road at all.

Just today I saw 5 or 6 cars doing 70 in probably less space than the approximate safe braking distance between 2 vehicles would be. It looked like a f***ing train they were that close to each other. Seriously if the first one ran in the back of something the rest would have followed, they didn't even give themselves the distance to react never mind hoy the anchors on.

These are the twats that should be hammered, not people doing a few mph over the motorway limit

Motoring offences are clearly not on Northumbria Police's list of priorities. They could have an absolute field day on the A19.

Motoring offences are clearly not on Northumbria Police's list of priorities. They could have an absolute field day on the A19.
Seriously the f***ing idiots I saw today deserved to lose their licence, especially the stupid little prick at the back. He was about the length of his shitty little a3 away from the car in front. Doing 70 (possibly more) 5 f***ing meters away man. What an arsehole, that's the stopping distance required for travelling at 10 mph or some shit.

Seriously the f***ing idiots I saw today deserved to lose their licence, especially the stupid little prick at the back. He was about the length of his shitty little a3 away from the car in front. Doing 70 (possibly more) 5 f***ing meters away man. What an arsehole, that's the stopping distance required for travelling at 10 mph or some shit.
I've seen drivers be close like that even when behind a van/lorry that blocks their view of the vehicle in front of the one they are following. They are completely blind as to what is going on ahead as they can't see others braking or pulling out a lane causing braking, yet they still rather risk travelling at speed with no chance of stopping in time.

Surely the funding from fining twats like that £60+ (&points) by having undercover cars travelling up and down they A19 will more than cover the costs to run it. It would be a cash cow and far more than any speed camera and something I'd definitely be in support of. In time, once 1,000's are prosecuted, it would change drivers habits. Many who do it now without any fear of consequence (crashing isn't fearful enough), wouldn't do it for fear of being caught or if anything be a little more thoughtful and careful rather than aggressive and trying to get somewhere a few minutes earlier.

I've seen drivers be close like that even when behind a van/lorry that blocks their view of the vehicle in front of the one they are following. They are completely blind as to what is going on ahead as they can't see others braking or pulling out a lane causing braking, yet they still rather risk travelling at speed with no chance of stopping in time.

Surely the funding from fining twats like that £60+ (&points) by having undercover cars travelling up and down they A19 will more than cover the costs to run it. It would be a cash cow and far more than any speed camera and something I'd definitely be in support of. In time, once 1,000's are prosecuted, it would change drivers habits. Many who do it now without any fear of consequence (crashing isn't fearful enough), wouldn't do it for fear of being caught or if anything be a little more thoughtful and careful rather than aggressive and trying to get somewhere a few minutes earlier.

You could fund the whole service on just one trip through County Durham on the A19!

its getting worse like. it terrifies me. being that close to someone in front, do people really think they will get to their destination any sooner? i think people are worried that, heaven forbid, someone might pull in front of them. i leave a massive gap me, but just maintain the speed. if someone pulls in, then ease of and create the space again. also, i find myself looking 3 or 4 cars ahead as i'm adamant one day some is going to hoy the breaks on in front. only thing you can't control is those behind you, but i'd rather come to a stop 10m away from the car in front if someone is going to go into the back of you.

hylton bridge is always mental southbound at rush hour with people slowing behind lorries struggling to get up the hill and people switching 3 lanes coming onto the bridge from the north side and vice versa to go off the next junction on the south side

saw one just earlier on my way home, come down the slip road from wessington way heading southbound, had his indicator on already on the slip road (bravo!) and just flew to his right straight across both lanes the second he got to the bottom of the slip road. my heart was in my mouth, he must have just say had enough room in front of the first car, but it was total luck that there was nowt overtaking at that second. he then had to hoy the breaks on to slow down into the speed of the traffic

Last edited:
Why is the A19 so bad?
I don't know if my experiences relate to this specific incident but I have never seen more dodgy overtaking and people f***ing about in my life than on that road. Used to drive home on a Friday from york when I still lived in sunderland and the driving from some people was nothing short of wacky races. Overtaking, turning round to swear just to get a few spots ahead on the road coming home. It was so busy you couldn't actually get that much further forward either.

Back