A19 - Multi vehicle crash

The slip road out of Easington services is hilarious. It must be a good 15 yards long.

What police?

North bound is a joke, short slip road, 100m further a parking area, 200m past that is Dalton Park/Seaham turn off. Prior to that, people fly up the Peterlee slip road and just pile into the outside lane and don't care if anyone is there.

Yeah but its all a grey area,it starts as two lanes then you just sort of lose one .Loads of bad slip roads on it

aye the one coming off the echo office roundabout northbound, every morning, theres some fuck trying to over take you on the left of slip road, then you get to the bottom, and two lanes turns into one, so you either veer left into the overtaker, or veer right into the A19 traffic, its f***ing barmy. i tend to straddle both lanes in that slip road as i don't want to be squashed at the bottom but then you look like a tosser

Nah, that's an excuse for the poor standard of driving on it. If it was 50mph in place and people actually drove 50mph and didn't drive like twats then you'd see far less accidents. Aye with 50mph limits traffic slows due to volume during morning/evening but the road structure itself is not to blame for the high amount of accidents.

Exactly this, you only have to drive along that stretch a few times to see the selfish, inconsiderate and basically stupid standard of driving as it's shocking at times. The police could have a field day on that stretch of road with lane weavers, tailgaters, late lane changers and other bad driving standards.
Add Dalton park to Paddys theory,somedays the queue is back onto the A19 .You don't expect standing traffic on a dual carriageway unless of accidents.The exit road comes after a bend so you have about 500 yards notice that there is something sitting in your lane .Like someone said ,hawthorn services.Mavis pulls straight out at 30mph .Slowing everyone down isn't the answer

2nd crash on A19 just before 1231 turn off SB according to the chronicle. how could they crash if they were sat in traffic?

its mental that road. i do testos to the echo office every day and in a short stretch i see close collisions every day without fail, usually people coming on/off slip roads and not wanting to slow down or people who are staying on the road not letting others across.

i don't understand why if you are coming off wessington way south bound onto the A19 you need to merge across onto the other two lanes immediately and vice versa. there's a mile of slip road ahead, just get up to speed and merge when appropriate. i hate that slip road. people almost coming to a stand still to get across, only to have a mile open road in front of them.
This is really dangerous, you see it on every slip road, cars not up to speed pulling straight into the flow of traffic. They have to get over the dotted line straight away
But the slip road is another 400 yds long and designed to allow vehicles to speed up
the amount of cars I have had to undertake on the slip road cos they were slowing down before joining the main carriageway is unbelievable

This is really dangerous, you see it on every slip road, cars not up to speed pulling straight into the flow of traffic. They have to get over the dotted line straight away
But the slip road is another 400 yds long and designed to allow vehicles to speed up
the amount of cars I have had to undertake on the slip road cos they were slowing down before joining the main carriageway is unbelievable

Hate this. I was driving down a slip road a couple of weeks ago, a slip road which joins the motorway directly, no lane changing needed, and the driver in front slowed down.

I flashed my lights and he lost his shit.

Then he put his foot down and was doing about 78 in the middle lane.

Numpties

Went over it on foxcover lane bridge 45 minutes ago. Going up foxcover lane the traffic was busy as hell, heading south. Got onto the bridge and theres the reason. Complete stand still southbound. People walking around on the carriageway. Could see the emergency blue lights down towards the Doxy roundabout.

Hate this. I was driving down a slip road a couple of weeks ago, a slip road which joins the motorway directly, no lane changing needed, and the driver in front slowed down.

Numpties
:):):):)

Numpties
Probably trying to get away from the nutter flashing at him:)

Had two occasions of someone flying up behind me flashing their lights to get me to move so naturally I tell them to fuck off. Once moving over to the inside, they have then proceeded to cut me up and slam their brakes on as some kind of “lesson”.

I’d kill the cunts if I had a chance.

The slip road out of Easington services is hilarious. It must be a good 15 yards long.
There's been 4 recorded incidents on both side there in the last 5 years so not so much an accident hotspot even given the low traffic usage. Obviously that won't include near misses but if they were constant then they would be a lot more actual incidents.

Go to this website, make sure everything is ticked in the bottom right, select the last 5 years or so to get an idea of recent driving habits (if you select more then you'll get loads of results) and then search for North Hylton as this is one hotspot on the A19 . You can then zoom in and it will just show the amount of incidents. Scroll up to Testo's roundabout to see many more but also scroll down and you'll see loads leading up to and leaving very long slip roads. It's simply due to the standard of driving being really poor with people fast lane changing or pulling out far slower than they should be and causing a braking knock on effect and tailgaters then having little to no time to react etc etc.

The road itself should still be able to cope with the peak traffic as traffic should slow down but many don't and drive as if it's 3pm on a Sunday afternoon. You then get people trying to join this busy speeding traffic and if they themselves aren't a decent driver then they can also cause issues. The same goes for those that try to stay in the speeding traffic until the last few yards before pulling off into the slip road.

CrashMap - On a phone, collapse keyboard and then scroll up and hit the V in the blue circle to collapse the search.

Look at how many happen on the part going over the River Wear. When you zoom in there's actually more on the Northbound side (even bigger difference when you add more years) which is probably due to late lane switchers leaving to get onto the A1231 causing shit.

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited by a moderator:
Had two occasions of someone flying up behind me flashing their lights to get me to move so naturally I tell them to fuck off. Once moving over to the inside, they have then proceeded to cut me up and slam their brakes on as some kind of “lesson”.

I’d kill the cunts if I had a chance.
Can never understand why people do this, if they can see you are overtaking
If they then didn't pull back over after overtaking then is the time to flash (or undertake)

With regards to the diesel spill why dont they just throw a match on it so it burns up quickly.

hylton bridge is always mental southbound at rush hour with people slowing behind lorries struggling to get up the hill and people switching 3 lanes coming onto the bridge from the north side and vice versa to go off the next junction on the south side

Back