A19 - Multi vehicle crash

Why is the A19 so bad?
If you're asking that then you mustn't have driven that much on the A19 when it's busy. Basically it's the high number of selfish, inconsiderate, dangerous and poor standard drivers that use it during that time. When it gets busy the concentration of these drivers quite often lead to accidents.

Tailgating at speed is unbelievable at times as I've seen cars follow vans/lorries etc and they have no clear view of what is in front of the vans/lorries. Hoy in quick and sometimes lack of indication lane changing then this can cause issues and braking and the tailgaters have nowhere to go. Bad weather doesn't seem to have any affect on some drivers as they drive as if it was a dry clear sunny day regardless.

However this accident may well just be that an accident due to a blow out for example rather than driver error(s).

Why is the A19 so bad?

Carries much more traffic than it was designed for. No Nissan, Doxford Int (and other up and down its length) built or even planned when it was opened.

Ironically it was built as the Sunderland bypass so that it could avoid all the traffic caused by loads of businesses etc being based in the bustling town centre. Now there's nowt there.

2nd crash on A19 just before 1231 turn off SB according to the chronicle. how could they crash if they were sat in traffic?

its mental that road. i do testos to the echo office every day and in a short stretch i see close collisions every day without fail, usually people coming on/off slip roads and not wanting to slow down or people who are staying on the road not letting others across.

i don't understand why if you are coming off wessington way south bound onto the A19 you need to merge across onto the other two lanes immediately and vice versa. there's a mile of slip road ahead, just get up to speed and merge when appropriate. i hate that slip road. people almost coming to a stand still to get across, only to have a mile open road in front of them.

Why is the A19 so bad?
Busy road for people travelling north to south and vice versa without a lot of options mixed with a busy road for locals popping on for one junstion and back off .It has some awful slip roads as well as far as view and length etc

Carries much more traffic than it was designed for. No Nissan, Doxford Int (and other up and down its length) built or even planned when it was opened.

Ironically it was built as the Sunderland bypass so that it could avoid all the traffic caused by loads of businesses etc being based in the bustling town centre. Now there's nowt there.

it is massively overcrowded like. add into that the amount of junctions that have very short slip roads, and some of the adjoining roads between seaham and hartlepool have no slip road, just a T junction of sorts. easington services slip road is about 5m long.

but tailgating is the biggest one. i go on and on to my lass about it. she says 'i'm not even close' and i say you are considering your doing 75mph. as if you can leave the same gap no matter what speed you are doing.

in general though i think its peoples complete lack of awareness of anyone or anything outside of their world. not letting people in, not slowing down, not moving over

2nd crash on A19 just before 1231 turn off SB according to the chronicle. how could they crash if they were sat in traffic?

its mental that road. i do testos to the echo office every day and in a short stretch i see close collisions every day without fail, usually people coming on/off slip roads and not wanting to slow down or people who are staying on the road not letting others across.

i don't understand why if you are coming off wessington way south bound onto the A19 you need to merge across onto the other two lanes immediately and vice versa. there's a mile of slip road ahead, just get up to speed and merge when appropriate. i hate that slip road. people almost coming to a stand still to get across, only to have a mile open road in front of them.
Yeah but its all a grey area,it starts as two lanes then you just sort of lose one .Loads of bad slip roads on it

If you're asking that then you mustn't have driven that much on the A19 when it's busy. Basically it's the high number of selfish, inconsiderate, dangerous and poor standard drivers that use it during that time. When it gets busy the concentration of these drivers quite often lead to accidents.

Tailgating at speed is unbelievable at times as I've seen cars follow vans/lorries etc and they have no clear view of what is in front of the vans/lorries. Hoy in quick and sometimes lack of indication lane changing then this can cause issues and braking and the tailgaters have nowhere to go. Bad weather doesn't seem to have any affect on some drivers as they drive as if it was a dry clear sunny day regardless.

However this accident may well just be that an accident due to a blow out for example rather than driver error(s).

I don’t live in the NE and so have only used it infrequently.

People do seem to drive faster in the NE mind.

Nah, that's an excuse for the poor standard of driving on it. If it was 50mph in place and people actually drove 50mph and didn't drive like twats then you'd see far less accidents. Aye with 50mph limits traffic slows due to volume during morning/evening but the road structure itself is not to blame for the high amount of accidents.

Exactly this, you only have to drive along that stretch a few times to see the selfish, inconsiderate and basically stupid standard of driving as it's shocking at times. The police could have a field day on that stretch of road with lane weavers, tailgaters, late lane changers and other bad driving standards.

Busy road for people travelling north to south and vice versa without a lot of options mixed with a busy road for locals popping on for one junstion and back off .It has some awful slip roads as well as far as view and length etc

The slip road out of Easington services is hilarious. It must be a good 15 yards long.

. The police could have a field day on that stretch of road with lane weavers, tailgaters, late lane changers and other bad driving standards.

What police?

Nah, that's an excuse for the poor standard of driving on it. If it was 50mph in place and people actually drove 50mph and didn't drive like twats then you'd see far less accidents. Aye with 50mph limits traffic slows due to volume during morning/evening but the road structure itself is not to blame for the high amount of accidents.

I agree a poor standard of driving is responsible too mind. But why is there the need to reduce it to 50mph? I think you've answered my theory there.

Back