A1 Northbound closed

Ah the old "bomb down the outside lane and take a sharp turn at Arnold Clarks" trick eh?

I used to get wound up by people doing it, but as theres nothing to say you cant I do it every morning.
Get the odd beep or people not letting you in, but that's it.

I go down the outside and I can see the rage building on people in the left lane, but I normally swing down through Birtley and either onto the valley at angel or behind lamesley. Went through Eighton Banks this morning though as the traffic was a bit stinking at the Mill House roundabout at 7.10 for some reason

I go down the outside and I can see the rage building on people in the left lane, but I normally swing down through Birtley and either onto the valley at angel or behind lamesley. Went through Eighton Banks this morning though as the traffic was a bit stinking at the Mill House roundabout at 7.10 for some reason
Aye I do that if the A1 is looking pretty much stood still. Any time I've gone through Eighton banks I've ended up in worse traffic though.

Ah the old "bomb down the outside lane and take a sharp turn at Arnold Clarks" trick eh?

I used to get wound up by people doing it, but as theres nothing to say you cant I do it every morning.
Get the odd beep or people not letting you in, but that's it.

I live in Birtley not too far from this area so I’m on the roads round there all the time and a few years back saw someone come the opposite way up that sharp turn, driving in the direction towards the mini roundabout away from the A1 as I was approaching the mini roundabout on the 1231 to turn right and head down into Birtley. Can only presume they couldn’t be arsed to sit in the queue to join the A1 so took a ridiculously sharp right where the roads join and went down through Birtley way. Luckily nobody was going down the right way to join the A1 at the time. :lol:

Worked a treat for me on my drive from Hampshire. Motorway signs flagged the closure and the A19 diversion. Everyone buggered off the A1 and is plain sailing all thread to Piercebridge.

At the back of Washington services north, is a short footpath that links Penshaw View.

If someone knocked down a fence panel you could use this to join/leave the A1 in an emergency.

.... or when you wished to display twattish behaviour

At the back of Washington services north, is a short footpath that links Penshaw View.

If someone knocked down a fence panel you could use this to join/leave the A1 in an emergency.

.... or when you wished to display twattish behaviour

On a similar vein theres an old road which used to pass from Seaham to Murton which was cut in 2 by the A10. There is an entrance to the Seaham bound road still in existence before you get to the dalton park turn off southbound here. Dying to use it next time there's bad traffic queuing on the A19 :lol:

Last edited:

Back