A year ago today 26th May 2019 Charlton 2 Sunderland 1

Was in Toronto with my family for the play off final last year so met up with the North American Supporters Branch at their bar, they were opening up early at 9am local time.

About 60 people in there, and as we left the bar later I saw there was also one Charlton fan.

Before the game I saw Dave Errington, former London Branch chairman in there, we were both amazed to see the other in there.

So the game started and in very un-Sunderland like fashion as we were gifted a fluke own goal when Parr's routine backpass was missed by Phillips in the Charlton goal for a howler by the keeper.

The TV almost missed the goal and just cut to the picture of the ball going in the net, it was also when they showed the replay that we realised what had happened.

Charlton was all over the place and we almost went 2-0 up when Leadbitter's shot was well saved by the keeper, at that stage 2-0 may have been enough as in the early stages we were dominant.

But as happened so many times last season we sat back and sure enough Charlton equalised when Purrington arrived unchallenged on the edge of the 6 yard box to slot home.

Half time 1-1.

The second half was cagey with not many chances either way. Extra time was looming when a cross to the back post found 2 Charlton players. A header was ricocheted to Bauer and his deflected shot found its way in for the winner 5 seconds from the end.

Even for us, that was a gut wrenching way to lose.

One day we will win at Wembley again, but no idea when it will be.

Shit happens, especially at Wembley. We are Sunderland.

Last edited:

Was more gutted leaving Wembley when we lost to Portsmouth. I just felt it was ‘typical’ Sunderland losing to Charlton and that we always bottle big games.

Wasn't supposed to be going as I was supposed to be having major surgery on the Friday before the match. That was cancelled at short notice. Managed to get match tickets but by that time I couldn't find any cheap train tickets and all the seats were reserved. After the shambles of standing like sardines in the train vestibule all the way back after the checkatrade, I didn't want to repeat that experience! Managed to get a good deal on tickets from Peterborough by joining a train from Leeds. Couldn't find anything cheap in London, so booked an overnight stop in Peterborough. Paid in advance for an NCP car park there.

Drive down was uneventful and picked up the train and straight to the ground. No time for sightseeing. Thought we were finally going to get something and was absolutely devastated when they scored at the end. It just finished off what an utter farce the season was. All that effort to get there and everything snatched away in the blink of an eye.

My brother lives down south. Met him after the match and travelled back into central London with him. Had a nice meal and a good catch up natter with him. Got the train back to Peterborough and then drove home the next morning.

A few weeks later I got a parking ticket from NCP claiming I had parked without paying. Had a bit of an argument with them until they finally accepted that I had already paid in advance on their website.

Think I would have rather had the surgery instead. It would have been less painful.

Pathetic performance after being gifted the opener.
JR told me at a talk in that sitting back and defending a lead was not a deliberate policy ! Really Jack?
Losing Power early on didn't help but what an insipid show, both on and off the pitch.
And as for the "Wembley experience" , you can shove it.
Can hardly see half the ground when alighting at WP ts. A bigger version of going to MK Dons. Might as well stick a B and Q and Wickes next to it.

Last edited:
I was spangled and got instructed to sit down by some sour faced trout behind me when we scored.

Went up to Scotland with girlfriend and her family. Her dad was well excited for the match, he’s a Liverpool fan but I’ve taken him to a match and he watches our games when he can. Me and her dad were going to the local to watch it but their tv signal wasn’t working. Managed to get now tv on the cottage tv.

towards the end everyone was watching as they were nervous. Don’t think I spoke for five minutes after the goal went in but everyone was commenting: “oh no, oh dear, oh I’m so sad”. Don’t think that helped 😂

Worst I've ever felt coming out of a match, distraught.

Just want to see the Lads win at Wembley with my Dad and Brother at least once..

I was in the last seat before the Charlton fans with netting between us. |Shook hands with a few at full time and a surprising amount, well 4 or so, told me they were West ham fans on a day out.

Seventh trip to Wembley and a gutless wretched performance. Flat atmosphere most of game. Fans could see defeat coming. Was 1990 performance worse? Still not sure. At least that was a very good Swindon side.

Sitting back on a gifted 1 goal lead when they were rocking, unforgivable. Ross should’ve gone after that surrender.

Good night though afterwards. Lots of beer to drown our sorrows.

Back