A work story

Didn’t post this last week as try and keep work from this Board but can understand these challenges.
Had two in a few weeks.
One out of the blue two weeks ago on a Sunday as well. One of my Managers wanted to meet me in person for a private chat. I thought something must be seriously wrong. Anyway picked him up at the station realising he had a suitcase with him. Took him to a pub and then the bombshell.
He was at court the next day over a case that was from 9 years earlier.
Let’s say one of conflict of interest rather than going into the finer detail.
Anyway only told my immediate boss and not HR and as far as I was concerned innocent until guilty. Case likely to be thrown out but adjourned until 2020.
I am sticking by him and keeping his job open. If guilty 3 years.
We make mistakes in life and I want to give him a chance. Back at work and he is so grateful.
Yesterday in his team lad with potential bowel cancer awaiting results. In tears so we sent him home.
Your post compelled me to write.
Work and challenges, great isn’t it and leadership is not easy.
Lass that worked for me at my last place was up on possession with intent charges, eventually downgraded to possession and she got community service.
She was a train wreck at that time, alcoholic, totally chaotic life outside of work, but there was something there and myself and another manager put ourselves on the line and vouched for her.
Got herself into AA, cut out the toxic people in her life, totally sorted herelf out - she's now an Associate Director.

When I left that place just under 2 years ago I'd had to lay off a team of 35 I'd worked with for over a decade, bring on board their replacements in India and Argentina, all while knowing that at the end I'd be going as well.

There's a reason I took a non supervisory role afterwards, it utterly drained me.

The executive assistant was texting her some, ahem, rather inappropriate text messages on the company cell phone (face palm) so we are able to look at all the text messages. While we don't have access to her cell phone, we were able to review her responses on his. For the record, these were not a part of the reason for termination, but just part of the overall research.

I bet it was, you dirty boy

:lol:

fair enough, I was in a pissed off frame of mind when I typed that. I am not apologizing for it, but there was no need. Most times, I just blow comments like that off because there's no point responding.

Whoa whoa whoa, wait there

It will be interesting at work tomorrow

The you go, fella

Last edited:
The best leaders are also not self proclaimed.
Our MD up there with the best I have ever worked with.

Aye, best I have worked under were actually democratic and not autocratic except occasinally meant similar type of sub leaders gravitated as like draws like.

Fantastic team, great times.

Lass that worked for me at my last place was up on possession with intent charges, eventually downgraded to possession and she got community service.
She was a train wreck at that time, alcoholic, totally chaotic life outside of work, but there was something there and myself and another manager put ourselves on the line and vouched for her.
Got herself into AA, cut out the toxic people in her life, totally sorted herelf out - she's now an Associate Director.

When I left that place just under 2 years ago I'd had to lay off a team of 35 I'd worked with for over a decade, bring on board their replacements in India and Argentina, all while knowing that at the end I'd be going as well.

There's a reason I took a non supervisory role afterwards, it utterly drained me.

Yep it drains those who actually give a shit, when you have given it your all, think no more of that for a time. I will just do x not y for a time, then if money ok and managing think fuck it will just carry on as I am

Last edited:

Can well imagine mate. Fair play to you and respect.
Worst ever for me was two girls leaving late in my team to go the college.
I was working late and could here ambulance sirens. Unknown at the time their car was run into by a bloke retrieving his phone in the footwell.
He died and was being followed by his Wife.
One of the girls dead and the other went through the windscreen in intensive care.
Got a call that night from the Brother of the girl in hospital and had to inform the MD on what had happened as the next day a “normal” working day.
As you can imagine is was tragic and I managed to get our team through it, funeral and all. Lisa survived thankfully and got married.
The saddest moment of all though was when Sam’s Dad came into the office and wanted to see me. Was told he was in my bosses office so I walked him.
When he said Sam loved working for you and said you a great guy I simply broke down in tears. To lose your Daughter like that.
Without doubt the toughest work situation I have ever had to deal with and hopefully won’t have to again.

Can well imagine mate. Fair play to you and respect.
Worst ever for me was two girls leaving late in my team to go the college.
I was working late and could here ambulance sirens. Unknown at the time their car was run into by a bloke retrieving his phone in the footwell.
He died and was being followed by his Wife.
One of the girls dead and the other went through the windscreen in intensive care.
Got a call that night from the Brother of the girl in hospital and had to inform the MD on what had happened as the next day a “normal” working day.
As you can imagine is was tragic and I managed to get our team through it, funeral and all. Lisa survived thankfully and got married.
The saddest moment of all though was when Sam’s Dad came into the office and wanted to see me. Was told he was in my bosses office so I walked him.
When he said Sam loved working for you and said you a great guy I simply broke down in tears. To lose your Daughter like that.
Without doubt the toughest work situation I have ever had to deal with and hopefully won’t have to again.

Horrible that like, needless waste of a life as some twat couldn't bare to not use his phone for 2 seconds... :confused:

Aye, best I have worked under were actually democratic and not autocratic except occasinally meant similar type of sub leaders gravitated as like draws like.

Fantastic team, great times.

Yep it drains those who actually give a shit, when you have given it your all, think no more of that for a time. I will just do x not y for a time, then if money ok and managing think fuck it will just carry on as I am

If you treat these as role models and develop your own behaviour accordingly you won’t go far wrong.
I treat work and home life separately that helps.
Out of work revert to big kid mode. You have to learn to switch off and I have got better at this, even more so being a little OCD at work. :)

Horrible that like, needless waste of a life as some twat couldn't bare to not use his phone for 2 seconds... :confused:

Life changes in a heartbeat mate.
Live every day and cherish what you have.
You don’t need me to tell you that getting older is like being in a car with the accelerator down.
Some great people on here like and why I have stayed around.

Last edited:
If you treat these as role models and develop your own behaviour accordingly you won’t go far wrong.
Out of work revert to big kid mode. You have to learn to switch off and I have got better at this, even more so being a little OCD at work. :)

Life changes in a heartbeat mate.
Live every day and cherish what you have.
You don’t need me to tell you that getting older is like being in a car with the accelerator down.
Some great people on here like and why I have stayed around.

Yea some really good posters but also some absolute helmets, mainly mags mind the sad knackers :lol:

Agreed fella, only a finite amount of time here and no trial runs. The only easy day was yesterday, so live it like no tomorrow and enjoy life at all stages. No regrets and lots of happiness both given and taken, make a memory of you and yours.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Threads like that set the gold standard. Thank you so much for sharing. :lol:

It would have been 100% their fault because of their actions but, hey ho, some people will always attempt to find reasons why not to do something because it might cause them a minor inconvenience.
You will find that here in the US it is rare for an employer to involve the police. It's easier to just let them go and be done with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if seb, but there was zero mention of a mag in your workplace. Up your game monk, 4/10, would consider reading future 'at work' posts.

Noted:lol:

I bet it was, you dirty boy

Whoa whoa whoa, wait there

It will be interesting at work tomorrow

The you go, fella

I did some of the research, yes. And that Gold thread was shared with me by @chunkylover53 yesterday. Loved it.

Can I have a job?
May. May I have a job. Disqualified for horrible grammar.

What's the affair got to do with owt?
Nothing, really, just something that was discovered as part of the research. Just an insight for me as to why an outstanding employee for 5+ years would risk her job for someone. I've met her husband at work events in the past and he was very nice, but of course, I have no idea what their marriage is like at home. Obviously, issues if she was having an affair with this other man. But that's an issue for another thread that someone else can start.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Threads like that set the gold standard. Thank you so much for sharing. :lol:

You will find that here in the US it is rare for an employer to involve the police. It's easier to just let them go and be done with it.

Yep did 6 months with 82nd Airborne over in the States younger, fitter and healthy Jimmer then 6 months with the Marines, had a gre:lol:at time spoilt me rotten they did apart from asking what part of Scotland I was from :(

Mind the lasses loved my dulcet tones and my polite mannerisms, looked after me well , excuse the pun Happy Days! :eek::lol: :lol::lol:

I've needed to dismiss a number of people in my time but have never had a moments doubt or felt in anyway sorry for them, they all warranted it.
I preferred to focus on those I gave a second chance who could easily have been sacked.

Fair point that mind:lol:

Yep did 6 months with 82nd Airborne over in the States younger, fitter and healthy Jimmer then 6 months with the Marines, had a gre:lol:at time spoilt me rotten they did apart from asking what part of Scotland I was from :(

Mind the lasses loved my dulcet tones and my polite mannerisms, looked after me well , excuse the pun Happy Days! :eek::lol: :lol::lol:
It's been my experience that most of us Americans love the English accent. Even your insults sound good. Like being slapped with silk.

That's only when spoken, by the way. The way you fuckers write on here sometimes is f***ing appalling. ;):lol:

I've needed to dismiss a number of people in my time but have never had a moments doubt or felt in anyway sorry for them, they all warranted it.
I preferred to focus on those I gave a second chance who could easily have been sacked.
I don't know, it's different for me. Even when I am letting someone who that truly deserves it, it still bothers me. I can't help but feel responsible for their situation even though it is clearly their own doing.

Back