A work story

Most important question of the lot that !

Did you do the good cop / bad cop routine ? Or was it the Gestapo table lamp shone in their eyes ?
You have to be careful of how you talk to people and what you say. Obviously, there was a lot of research done but some of what was found cannot be used as reasons for termination. The official reason for termination was violation of company policy with regards to falsifying information. We have a policy that states that all reporting, regardless of the department, must be true and honest and that violation of the policy can result in disciplinary action including immediate termination of employment. Remember that this is SoCal and we are an "at-will" State where you can fire anyone "at-will". Of course, this is also a lawsuit happy place, so you have to have all your t's crossed and i's dotted as well.

so where are the pics of the exec?:confused:
:lol:

Didn’t post this last week as try and keep work from this Board but can understand these challenges.
Had two in a few weeks.
One out of the blue two weeks ago on a Sunday as well. One of my Managers wanted to meet me in person for a private chat. I thought something must be seriously wrong. Anyway picked him up at the station realising he had a suitcase with him. Took him to a pub and then the bombshell.
He was at court the next day over a case that was from 9 years earlier.
Let’s say one of conflict of interest rather than going into the finer detail.
Anyway only told my immediate boss and not HR and as far as I was concerned innocent until guilty. Case likely to be thrown out but adjourned until 2020.
I am sticking by him and keeping his job open. If guilty 3 years.
We make mistakes in life and I want to give him a chance. Back at work and he is so grateful.
Yesterday in his team lad with potential bowel cancer awaiting results. In tears so we sent him home.
Your post compelled me to write.
Work and challenges, great isn’t it and leadership is not easy.
For the most part, my job is not difficult. We have great staff members, but we took a serious hit in employees quitting last year when we had to do some lay-offs. The building and construction industry have been on a decline and a lot more companies are doing their own marketing rather than hire outside firms in order to save money. We had some big customers actually close shop last year so we took a big hit. We let go of employees, but that also let to other employees leaving the company. Employees who were of great value and whom we were not able to convince to stay.

Hiring quality has been an issue. This is the second Executive Assistant hired in less than a year. The problem is that when that position is empty, those job responsibilities fall on me which severely impacts my work load.

Last edited by a moderator:

So I came back to work yesterday to find out that we had three junior sales people, the new executive assistant, and one accounting rep who were caught falsifying receipts and records.

There was an industry show last month and we typically send sale staff to these shows to wine and dine existing and potential customers who attend these shows. For the show last month, it was supposed to be three junior sales people and one senior sales person, however, the senior sales person could not attend the show because his dad passed away so the owner decided to send his new executive assistant instead (recent hire) as part of training. I was told that they came back from the trip with what looked liked, at the time, a very impressive report of the trip.

The sales manager was going over the report with the senior sales person who was not able to attend, and the senior sales person noticed that they had dinner with a potential client that he has been trying to arrange a meeting with for a long time so he was very impressed and excited. He called the potential customer to talk about the show and the meeting and was told that they never met with anyone from our company during the show. Confused, he called the other customers on the list and was told the same thing. The issue was then brought to my attention upon which I had my staff do some more in depth research where it was discovered that they not only made up the sales calls, but also turned in fake receipts for reimbursements for dinners that never happened.

After bringing them individually into my office to ask each of them about the trip. At first they tried to deny it, but after I showed them the evidence, they all admitted. It was one of the junior sales people, who seeing how much trouble he was in, told us that it was the new executive assistant's idea. We also found out that the new executive assistant is having an affair with the accounting rep (both are married - not to each other, I mean) and she helped them create the fake receipts and turned them in for reimbursement.

They were all put on leave yesterday, and this morning, I brought them in individually to let them go.

Just wanted to share/vent.

You have to be careful of how you talk to people and what you say. Obviously, there was a lot of research done but some of what was found cannot be used as reasons for termination. The official reason for termination was violation of company policy with regards to falsifying information. We have a policy that states that all reporting, regardless of the department, must be true and honest and that violation of the policy can result in disciplinary action including immediate termination of employment. Remember that this is SoCal and we are an "at-will" State where you can fire anyone "at-will". Of course, this is also a lawsuit happy place, so you have to have all your t's crossed and i's dotted as well.

For the most part, my job is not difficult. We have great staff members, but we took a serious hit in employees quitting last year when we had to do some lay-offs. The building and construction industry have been on a decline and a lot more companies are doing their own marketing rather than hire outside firms in order to save money. We had some big customers actually close shop last year so we took a big hit. We let go of employees, but that also let to other employees leaving the company. Employees who were of great value and whom we were not able to convince to stay.

Hiring quality has been an issue. This is the second Executive Assistant hired in less than a year. The problem is that when that position is empty, those job responsibilities fall on me which severely impacts my work load.

Similarities to managing a football team regards hiring people.
Basically you need to be paying a decent salary to attract decent people. I have managed to uplift out salary levels for Buyers. Certainly not top level but a decent market rate as well as offering a bonus, share schemes, decent environment and support studying thus some decent benefits.
Have to say they are a decent team now but always the unexpected challenge.
My boss is very Supportive which makes a big difference.
Not easy though is it but as I keep telling the Mrs it pays the bills.

Reminds of one of the times I went to Germany for work and they said alcohol could only be expensed if ordered as part of a meal, so every night I went to the pub and ordered some bait and then had six or seven pints to go with it.

Then in the cab home from the airport I shrewdly got the cabbie to faslsify the receipt so that it appeared the cab had cost considerably more than I had actually paid for it. :cool:

Catch me if you can motherfuckers.

So I came back to work yesterday to find out that we had three junior sales people, the new executive assistant, and one accounting rep who were caught falsifying receipts and records.

There was an industry show last month and we typically send sale staff to these shows to wine and dine existing and potential customers who attend these shows. For the show last month, it was supposed to be three junior sales people and one senior sales person, however, the senior sales person could not attend the show because his dad passed away so the owner decided to send his new executive assistant instead (recent hire) as part of training. I was told that they came back from the trip with what looked liked, at the time, a very impressive report of the trip.

The sales manager was going over the report with the senior sales person who was not able to attend, and the senior sales person noticed that they had dinner with a potential client that he has been trying to arrange a meeting with for a long time so he was very impressed and excited. He called the potential customer to talk about the show and the meeting and was told that they never met with anyone from our company during the show. Confused, he called the other customers on the list and was told the same thing. The issue was then brought to my attention upon which I had my staff do some more in depth research where it was discovered that they not only made up the sales calls, but also turned in fake receipts for reimbursements for dinners that never happened.

After bringing them individually into my office to ask each of them about the trip. At first they tried to deny it, but after I showed them the evidence, they all admitted. It was one of the junior sales people, who seeing how much trouble he was in, told us that it was the new executive assistant's idea. We also found out that the new executive assistant is having an affair with the accounting rep (both are married - not to each other, I mean) and she helped them create the fake receipts and turned them in for reimbursement.

They were all put on leave yesterday, and this morning, I brought them in individually to let them go.

They don’t take prisoners at your level

It must feel shitty having to fire people but it's got to be done. I felt bad telling an agency I didn't want a bulldozer driver back. He was Romanian and obviously lied about his experience. He had the GPS set to take 0.5m off the top of a large site and looked like he was trying to tunnel to Australia. I felt bad because he seemed like a nice lad.

Reminds of one of the times I went to Germany for work and they said alcohol could only be expensed if ordered as part of a meal, so every night I went to the pub and ordered some bait and then had six or seven pints to go with it.

Then in the cab home from the airport I shrewdly got the cabbie to faslsify the receipt so that it appeared the cab had cost considerably more than I had actually paid for it. :cool:

Catch me if you can motherfuckers.

It must feel shitty having to fire people but it's got to be done. I felt bad telling an agency I didn't want a bulldozer driver back. He was Romanian and obviously lied about his experience. He had the GPS set to take 0.5m off the top of a large site and looked like he was trying to tunnel to Australia. I felt bad because he seemed like a nice lad.
We had brought in a lady last year for sales and she was the nicest person but extremely slow, all projects took her forever and it was causing a problem. We tried coaching her along, but it started to become a liability. We let her go before her 90-day probation expired with the "just not a good fit" excuse but she was crying. It was one of the toughest ones I've ever done because she literally was the nicest person you will ever meet.

I hate doing these. It's part of the job, but they always drain the fuck out of me. I will feel like shit for days.

Last edited by a moderator:
The juniors were hired last year, the executive assistant was earlier this year. The accounting rep had worked here for over 5 years. She was the toughest because she was a very nice lady. The executive assistant was texting her some, ahem, rather inappropriate text messages on the company cell phone (face palm) so we are able to look at all the text messages. While we don't have access to her cell phone, we were able to review her responses on his. For the record, these were not a part of the reason for termination, but just part of the overall research.

Just call me The Lonious "Mueller" Monk

Their actions?

It's not. Why do you think it is?

Why would I make this up? Have I ever come across as one of the attention seeking fuckers on here? I don't think so. I don't even like starting threads, just wanted to vent.

Why?

Samuel L. Jackson, duh

Yeah, I know, but I still hate firing people. It always bothers me.

Thanks, pal.

It only hurts firing people when you actually give a fuck.....but nothing for you but to do that. Vent away monk fella, true and to the point more than some of the shite, we and I include me choose as topics to post.

Only bothers people, who respect others, not your fault they tried to bend the rules, but lord they must have been intellectually challenged not to research their actions. Dear me.:rolleyes::(:(

Didn’t post this last week as try and keep work from this Board but can understand these challenges.
Had two in a few weeks.
One out of the blue two weeks ago on a Sunday as well. One of my Managers wanted to meet me in person for a private chat. I thought something must be seriously wrong. Anyway picked him up at the station realising he had a suitcase with him. Took him to a pub and then the bombshell.
He was at court the next day over a case that was from 9 years earlier.
Let’s say one of conflict of interest rather than going into the finer detail.
Anyway only told my immediate boss and not HR and as far as I was concerned innocent until guilty. Case likely to be thrown out but adjourned until 2020.
I am sticking by him and keeping his job open. If guilty 3 years.
We make mistakes in life and I want to give him a chance. Back at work and he is so grateful.
Yesterday in his team lad with potential bowel cancer awaiting results. In tears so we sent him home.
Your post compelled me to write.
Work and challenges, great isn’t it and leadership is not easy.

Great leaders are first and foremost parts of a team, just with more duties and responsibilities and with a salary rather than a wage.

You really have to go with your gut feel or instinct in your role and 99 percent of the time it works. if it is telling you someone is a knob, then there is something there that you have picked up on unconsciously.

Listening to that you do what you have to do if the facts back up that feeling. Not nice, but all incidents have to be dealt with.

Serious replies :lol:
If you don't believe it to be true then why even respond? Why participate on the f***ing thread? I don't understand why some of you fuckers feel the need to post comments when you clearly don't like the op. When I see something I don't believe to be true or don't care about, I just don't reply. I don't participate.

This sounds more like a call-to-arms for the other keyboard-courage fuckers on here who take any opportunity to tear into someone. The mob lynching mentality that is a disease on social media, and on this board.

I've been put through the f***ing shredder on here before, so nothing new. This is one of the reasons why I don't like to start threads on here.

Those who think I am making this up, obviously don't know me and can fuck off.

Office wanker.

Great leaders are first and foremost parts of a team, just with more duties and responsibilities and with a salary rather than a wage.

You really have to go with your gut feel or instinct in your role and 99 percent of the time it works. if it is telling you someone is a knob, then there is something there that you have picked up on unconsciously.

Listening to that you do what you have to do if the facts back up that feeling. Not nice, but all incidents have to be dealt with.

The best leaders are also not self proclaimed.
Our MD up there with the best I have ever worked with.

Back