A victory for freedom of speech.... and sanity

So two entirely seperate things then, nothing to do with what we are talking about.

Thanks for yout input to the thread again hep lad :lol:

Nothing if not consistent
Very relevant to the thread as it seems people cannot distinguish free speech from hate and abuse.

I'll make it easy.

Dabate on transgender issues = free speech = good

Abuse to the transgender community = abuse = bad

That tweet was not debate, it added nothing to the world other than to demean a vulnerable group for no reason.

Very relevant to the thread as it seems people cannot distinguish free speech from hate and abuse.

I'll make it easy.

That tweet was not debate, it added nothing to the world other than to demean a vulnerable group for no reason.
So what if it isn't debate

If you enjoy abusing people, then clearly you'll support that.

For me, I'd rather live in a world where we don't abuse minorities.
You are confusing supporting someone's opinion with supporting someone's right to say their opinion

You are confusing supporting someone's opinion with supporting someone's right to say their opinion
but there is a line where saying your opinion amounts to abuse. If I was to spraypaint 'Nonce' on your front door, that might be my opinion but it crosses a line into abuse.

but there is a line where saying your opinion amounts to abuse. If I was to spraypaint 'Nonce' on your front door, that might be my opinion but it crosses a line into abuse.
I think you need to educate yourself on what freedom of speech actually protects.

Spoiler alert... graffiti isn't part of it.

:lol: No one said there wasn't you f***ing loon
You spent most of the thread proclaiming we can say what we want.

Now we on the same page.

What isn't acceptable as free speech?

I'll start

1. Defamatory, untrue remarks about an individual made in either public or private via any medium - agreed?

You spent most of the thread proclaiming we can say what we want.

Now we on the same page.

What isn't acceptable as free speech?

I'll start

1. Defamatory, untrue remarks about an individual made in either public or private via any medium - agreed?
No I actually spent most of the thread saying I believe in freedom of speech, as outlined in the U.S constitution

They aren’t, and you know they aren’t but you said the list went too far. Why did you say that?
Makes you wonder why he put it on his list then doesn't it. :rolleyes:

Because imo speech laws in this country are outdated, not fit for purpose and too draconian

I'll make it easy.

The judge in this case disagreed with you. His opinion represents the law and your opinion is just your opinion.

Makes you wonder why he put it on his list then doesn't it. :rolleyes:

Because imo speech laws in this country are outdated, not fit for purpose and too draconian

If you knew that list didn’t apply to freedom of speech, what were you referring to when you said the list of groups you can’t discriminate against has gone too far?

If you knew that list didn’t apply to freedom of speech, what were you referring to when you said the list of groups you can’t discriminate against has gone too far?
I didn't directly refer to the list.

He said that's the standard we've set and in a tongue in cheek way I said do you think the standard has gone too far?

Because he was listing random shite like

• marital status
  • family or carer's responsibilities
  • pregnancy
  • religion
  • political opinion
  • national extraction
  • social origin.

I didn't directly refer to the list.

He said that's the standard we've set and in a tongue in cheek way I said do you think the standard has gone too far?

Because he was listing random shite like

• marital status
  • family or carer's responsibilities
  • pregnancy
  • religion
  • political opinion
  • national extraction
  • social origin.

They aren’t “random shite” - some perhaps all of those are protected characteristics under the Equality Act.

Just because you as a young, white, straight, atheist, middle-class educated man can’t see why “random shite” might become the basis for discrimination, doesn’t mean you’re right.

Back