A stupid gamble on evil machines....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like a few quid on watching the footy but f***ing hell lads some of you must be on 100k a year spunking what you are at the bookies

Depends if the intention is entertainment or to win money. Ideally I'd like to win money but the lads' accumulators are just a bit of fun at the weekend.
At the risk of sounding like @Frijj we have a spreadsheet showing winnings and we've been marginally up each year, a few hundred up a couple of times. All goes in the kitty for a weekend away. Not done great this year (this week was first win since April) but have £520 between three of us so pays for digs and probably first day's drink.
I'm not sure what I like most about gambling. The thrill, being correct, being technical, good risk management. It all makes me enjoy it.

My meat and drink is low risk, low return betting but it's always nice when a random big ticket comes in.

As I said before, gambling on machines that are designed to make the house money on a long time horizon simply doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not sure what I like most about gambling. The thrill, being correct, being technical, good risk management. It all makes me enjoy it.

My meat and drink is low risk, low return betting but it's always nice when a random big ticket comes in.

As I said before, gambling on machines that are designed to make the house money on a long time horizon simply doesn't make sense to me.
Being top better amongst the lads is absolutely my top priority.:lol:

Have you seen the price of National Lottery scratch cards? I thought they were £1 each but someone in the kiosk queue before me the other day bought 5 x £10 tickets. Seems mad that you can gamble £50 as easily as that in a supermarket.
I used the cash machine at Sainsbury’s in Fulwell a couple of weeks back and they were advertising scratch cards on the machine.

I've never had an interest in gambling, although I can see the attraction to spice up a Saturday afternoons matches with an accumulator or a couple of bets on the horses. Indeed I enjoy fantasy football and the free Super Six for just that reason.

I spent many a Saturday afternoon in the back of me fatha's Vauxhall Viva outside of various bookies in Horden, having dreamed all week about what a great time I'd be having when I got to see my Dad at the weekend.

He has often spoke about this brilliant tactic he has for winning on the horses that he'll bequeath to me. I'll be chucking it straight in the bin should it ever appear.

Stuck a few quid on mayweather at 10-3 and just put £200 of it on roulette in laddies.. black 17-20 split, 32 red 3 spins in a row booosh

Let's just say if I had a son around 17/18 I'd be slightly concerned. It's an epidemic in 18-30 especially.
It can grip people of all ages mate. Very close friend of mine, his 85 year old father used to like a walk to the bookies when there was racing on the telly and stick on a 50p Yankee. No harm it was his bit of fun. One night when we were in the boozer having a pint a lad came up to my mate and advised him to keep an eye on his old man as he'd seen him in there several times feeding the slots.
Mate sat his old man down for a chat and it emerged he had blown 80 grand in the machines in next to no time :(

It can grip people of all ages mate. Very close friend of mine, his 85 year old father used to like a walk to the bookies when there was racing on the telly and stick on a 50p Yankee. No harm it was his bit of fun. One night when we were in the boozer having a pint a lad came up to my mate and advised him to keep an eye on his old man as he'd seen him in there several times feeding the slots.
Mate sat his old man down for a chat and it emerged he had blown 80 grand in the machines in next to no time :(
80 grand f***ing hell. It's always those with free time who end up doing it through boredom as well. Usually the college/uni students that start gambling. Know people who've ate 19p smart price pot noddles for a week though it at uni. Schools need to educate the next generation on it.

Jesus, that's awful! I gamble for a laugh, I'm a good gambler in the sense that I know I'm a shit gambler so I don't chuck good money after bad. Could see how easy it could deteriorate if other aspects of life aren't going well and you just 'need' one lucky streak

Jesus, that's awful! I gamble for a laugh, I'm a good gambler in the sense that I know I'm a shit gambler so I don't chuck good money after bad. Could see how easy it could deteriorate if other aspects of life aren't going well and you just 'need' one lucky streak
It's the ultimate gamblers fallacy. They do a load of money and then go on a retrieval mission promising themselves that they will stop for good once they get back level. Unfortunately they never do and just dig themselves into a deeper hole.

What a sadness for him knowing at that stage he had given away much of what he had meant for his family. And the booky buys another jag.

I was a demon for fruit machines in my younger years but I haven't touched one for years and I don't miss it one bit. Very very rarely bet now and if I do it's only a couple quid on the football a couple times a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back