A question for the gin connoisseurs on here

Tomma

Striker
Evening all,
Mrs Tomma (don't, just don't) enjoys a gin every now and then, but only really likes Plymouth Gin.
She wants to try a different brand, but wants it to taste like the Plymouth (I don't know why the dizzy bat doesn't just buy some more Plymouth, but anyway).
Any suggestions?
Also, I've seen some people recommending some gins from Aldi / Lidl etc - are there any decent ones?
For the record, I can't stand the stuff.

Evening all,
Mrs Tomma (don't, just don't) enjoys a gin every now and then, but only really likes Plymouth Gin.
She wants to try a different brand, but wants it to taste like the Plymouth (I don't know why the dizzy bat doesn't just buy some more Plymouth, but anyway).
Any suggestions?
Also, I've seen some people recommending some gins from Aldi / Lidl etc - are there any decent ones?
For the record, I can't stand the stuff.
Bombay Gin (not Sapphire) is currently priced at £16 for a litre in Asda, it's very good for the price. Aldi's own make is canny, but I was on their website the other day and they have loads to choose from for a decent price.
My favourite is Tanqueray, but I don't buy it these days as it's too expensive, I've always wanted to try the more expensive versions Rangpur and No 10, maybe one day :lol:.

Just go and try then mate. I used to hate Gin but by fuck there are some beautiful drinks out there. Go to a Gin festival where she can try different gin's without the big expense. The Tonic makes a huge difference to how the gin tastes, they bring out certain aromas that other's wouldn't.

Try the Whitley Neil, the Rhubarb and Ginger drank with a Fever tree tonic is a must.

And for the record the Aldi/Lidl Gins are very nice. Lidl's Hortus is nice but the Pink gin isnt however I do like the Gordons Pink Gin isnt imho. TBF its all about individuals personal taste.

I love Whiskeys but not all flavours an Islay is completely different from a Speyside....!

Just go and try then mate. I used to hate Gin but by fuck there are some beautiful drinks out there. Go to a Gin festival where she can try different gin's without the big expense. The Tonic makes a huge difference to how the gin tastes, they bring out certain aromas that other's wouldn't.

Try the Whitley Neil, the Rhubarb and Ginger drank with a Fever tree tonic is a must.

And for the record the Aldi/Lidl Gins are very nice. Lidl's Hortus is nice but the Pink gin isnt however I do like the Gordons Pink Gin isnt imho. TBF its all about individuals personal taste.

I love Whiskeys but not all flavours an Islay is completely different from a Speyside....!

And a whiskey, is completely different to a whisky ;)

I think I’m right in saying Plymouth Gin is a ‘style’ that is now only produced by one distillery. So probably quite difficult to find a one with really similar characteristics.

Short of going for the Navy strength version, go for something totally different. Monkey 47 would be my recommendation.

Back