A place in the Sun

This type of programme ought to come with a warning..and I live in Spain.
Gives people the most starry eyed view of what life is like and never mentions some of the culture shocks that await. Don't get me wrong I love it over here and hope I never have to move back but there really is more to it than those programmes portray.

What happens is someones parent dies, they flog the house and say right: £150k to spend, lets gan for it. When they don't get a hilltop mansion with sea views and an olympic sized pool we get 'Terry and Tricia decided not to put an offer in on the 2 bed terraced townhouse and are still looking'.

What happens is someones parent dies, they flog the house and say right: £150k to spend, lets gan for it. When they don't get a hilltop mansion with sea views and an olympic sized pool we get 'Terry and Tricia decided not to put an offer in on the 2 bed terraced townhouse and are still looking'.
They just do it for the craic iirc

Gives people the most starry eyed view of what life is like and never mentions some of the culture shocks that await. Don't get me wrong I love it over here and hope I never have to move back but there really is more to it than those programmes portray.
So what happens that people overlook?.

Such as real life.

So what happens that people overlook?.
They overlook that they are moving to a completely different culture. One that can charm- the climate, the people, the culture and horrify - attitude to animals, bureaucracy, corruption and the echoes of a country that was once a fascist dictatorship. I am seeing ex pats who who have had there time in the sun and are increasingly fearful as ill health and ageing strikes. Often they haven't got a front door back in the UK. From my experience this is the great mistake. It is never mentioned.

Back