A new breed of supporters...

Keyboard Warriors - although I use the term ‘supporters’ lightly.
I get why the doom and gloom going around as we are at our lowest ever ebb in our history
But what I don’t get is this new breed of so called supporters who seem to want us to fail
Parky was never my choice but I don’t care who is Manager so long as we get promoted
I don’t see any enjoyment in getting beat so we can get shot of another Manager
All I am reading is Parky was doomed to fail before he even Managed a single game
Parky is not going anywhere just now so get behind him and the team and you never know you might just enjoy a win
If you really enjoy getting beat so you can winge then try picking another team, there are plenty below us where you could enjoy losing even more often then we do

When the new dynamic duo have made so many decisions that haven't paid off on the field, raised expectation through over or mis-communication, needled the fans when things don't go their way and shown a lack of mental toughness I think it leads to a sense of desperation on this forum.

Methven is in a big way to blame for this. He is meant to have Donald's back on the comms side but its been a shambles. Need I say Charlton being a bigger club than SAFC and the loan not having a connection to the club?

If you don't feel like speaking up when we are mid table Division 3, then what is acceptable to you? Club folds, Division 4 footy, Conference?

Last edited by a moderator:

I get why the doom and gloom going around as we are at our lowest ever ebb in our history
But what I don’t get is this new breed of so called supporters who seem to want us to fail
Parky was never my choice but I don’t care who is Manager so long as we get promoted
All I am reading is Parky was doomed to fail before he even Managed a single game
Parky is not going anywhere just now so get behind him and the team and you never know you might just enjoy a win
If you really enjoy getting beat so you can winge then try picking another team, there are plenty below us where you could enjoy losing even more often then we do

It' not a new breed of supporter it's modern society and social media with everyone having a voice - look on Facebook or Twitter, it's awful. Most criticising or being absolute cock wombles and everything is massively over the top and loads of outrage over most things with very little balance. Unfortunately, with few exceptions, that's the way things are now.

At the game and pubs and clubs things have always been massively over the top or lots of criticism from many too - some of the worst criticism I've seen was at Roker Park, it's just more on view now and easier to see.

Last edited:
It' not a new breed of supporter it's modern society and social media with everyone having a voice - look on Facebook or Twitter, it's awful. Most criticising or being absolute cock wombles and everything is massively over the top and loads of outrage over most things with very little balance. Unfortunately, with few exceptions, that's the way things are now.

It's a bit of that but SAFC is in a 'new place' in its history...and some people are happy to clappy

If you don't feel like speaking up when we are mid table Division 3, then what is acceptable to you? Club folds, Division 4 footy, Conference?

There's speaking up though and there's meeting every single decision, result, appointment etc with absolute anger, derision and absolutely no balance. You may argue the owner/s have created it or exaggerated that but supporters are in control of their own reactions and emotions and it's massively over the top. Many are playing a part in the current malaise with their reactions.
It's a bit of that but SAFC is in a 'new place' in its history...and some people are happy to clappy

No it's not a bit of that, it is that. That's how the modern world is on social media, so why expect this forum or others like it to be different?

Last edited:
Who said I had given up? I am seriously fucked off, I dont give up. I am driving up next week to drop xmas presents off for the kids, I will be going to the match, hoping its when it starts to get better
I must have misread then marra, I'll be there too and I hope you're right. Tough game cov looked decent yesterday could've had a few more but there was weakness defensively. Haway the lads, you got far to travel?

Last edited:
I'd debate saying those types of supporters have always been there, only now social media has given them a platform to get together and have a voice.

Once enough idiots get together and reaffirm their beliefs in this echochamber, ie Twitter and to a point this board, they think their opinion is actually more valid than every other supporter simply because they are making more noise and more posts.

Social media is a great way to connect with people, the unfortunate downside is a lot of people are f***ing idiots and once they band together, things get nasty. Especially when it comes to football and Sunderland.
Well said. Could be applied beyond just football.

Goes beyond football, mate. This is the age of the hysteric.

They get taught by the liberals at school that everyone has a voice and something to say. That all opinions are useful and valid. Then they give them mobile phones and social media to go with their sense of personal entitlement.

As Micky Flanagan says "Where have all the dickheads come from? We used to hide them away, or just avoid them. Now - they put them on the telly"

I must have misread then marra, I'll be there too and I hope you're right. Tough game cov looked decent yesterday could've had a few more but there was weakness defensively. Haway the lads, you got far to travel?

from Exeter its about 370 miles, thats why I try to do family stuff at the same time.

We have been awful last few games, why do we do this to ourselves?

There is hysteria on every form of social media.
More worried by people who think it is real life tbh.
I agree mate but how many times have we seen a positive thinking thread on here totally shot down by the same negative toxic posters who claim to be our supporters and have the best interests of the club at heart. Negativity breeds negativity and before long every Tom dick and Harry expects us to lose
Imo this negativity is the "cancer" that many previous managers have said runs within our club. Eventually this trickles down onto the pitch with every stray pass that happens.
Creating a positive arena for the players to perform in is surely the way to get the best out of them

Internet has nothing to do with being new breed of supporter. Its the attendances that truly measure the support. Not who post online. Sunderland have dropped around 20-25,000 fans. Not saying Newcastle would be tested similarly if we got as bad as that. But all internet has done is give stay aways a medium to express views.

Internet has nothing to do with being new breed of supporter. Its the attendances that truly measure the support. Not who post online. Sunderland have dropped around 20-25,000 fans. Not saying Newcastle would be tested similarly if we got as bad as that. But all internet has done is give stay aways a medium to express views.
For goodness sake boy. Can’t you add up? What is the capacity of the stadium? What has been the average attendance since we left the premier league? did you have the same maths teacher as Ms Abbot?
If you feel the need to post on a Sunderland forum the least you could do is get your numbers straight.

Dont recall us averaging 55k when we were last in the premier league tbf.

For goodness sake boy. Can’t you add up? What is the capacity of the stadium? What has been the average attendance since we left the premier league? did you have the same maths teacher as Ms Abbot?
If you feel the need to post on a Sunderland forum the least you could do is get your numbers straight.
He may be talking about the attendees

Back