A new breed of supporters...

Fans have always been negative and reactionary, I’ve not said they haven’t. What I’m saying is this message board amplifies the negativity as it’s very very popular among sunderland fans. Social media these days is a huge influencer.
It is.

As we have seen on here it gives the village idiot the same platform as Solomon.

Thankfully most SAFC supporters in the real world are way more sensible.

Same everywhere I should imagine. From berating the referee & linesman, to every manager / chairman being abused, football has always been a decent amount of peoples vehicle for complaint, ie "letting off steam".

Every message board I visit is much busier and vibrant during a disastrous period then when things are sailing on nicely. People love having a whinge, always have done.

I’m sorry but that’s a cop out. To talk of unreasonable expectations and people demanding instant results is nonsense. We’ve had ‘the biggest budget in League one history’ for two seasons now and we are apparently ‘the most professional club ever to play in league one’. And yet our team is very poor, our recruitment even worse, promotion appears beyond us and we’re faced with a wholesale rebuild to fix mistakes made by the current regime - but unable to do it as we’ve once again got an oversized squad that’s full of players that nobody else would want, much less afford. None of this is mitigated by patience or time. If things are bad and you need to fix the mistakes of previous owners it’s generally a bad idea to pile up a load of your own on top. Safc’s problems are not going to be fixed by fans showing patience. They’ll be fixed by the owners finally showing some basic football competence - or getting out of the way for someone else who can.

I doubt we had the biggest budget this season, most were free transfers.
I would also disagree promotion is beyond us.
You complain that the players have given up, but it seems so have you.

I’m sorry but that’s a cop out. To talk of unreasonable expectations and people demanding instant results is nonsense. We’ve had ‘the biggest budget in League one history’ for two seasons now and we are apparently ‘the most professional club ever to play in league one’. And yet our team is very poor, our recruitment even worse, promotion appears beyond us and we’re faced with a wholesale rebuild to fix mistakes made by the current regime - but unable to do it as we’ve once again got an oversized squad that’s full of players that nobody else would want, much less afford. None of this is mitigated by patience or time. If things are bad and you need to fix the mistakes of previous owners it’s generally a bad idea to pile up a load of your own on top. Safc’s problems are not going to be fixed by fans showing patience. They’ll be fixed by the owners finally showing some basic football competence - or getting out of the way for someone else who can.
You say it’s a cop out but we’re agreeing. I’m not saying we should be patient and we should be happy. I’m saying that now we’re in the mess we’re in due to bad recruitment etc. its difficult to sort out cos you can’t just ship out half a team even if you want to. They’re in contracts and we’re stuck unless they choose to leave. No amount of shouting and balling will ever change that instantly. I’m just saying people need to see that somethings aren’t possible to do overnight

You say it’s a cop out but we’re agreeing. I’m not saying we should be patient and we should be happy. I’m saying that now we’re in the mess we’re in due to bad recruitment etc. its difficult to sort out cos you can’t just ship out half a team even if you want to. They’re in contracts and we’re stuck unless they choose to leave. No amount of shouting and balling will ever change that instantly. I’m just saying people need to see that somethings aren’t possible to do overnight
I agree with much of what you say. However I have little faith that the people who created this mess of a squad are suddenly capable of doing much better. We have little choice but to see what happens. I’m not expecting much though.

I agree with much of what you say. However I have little faith that the people who created this mess of a squad are suddenly capable of doing much better. We have little choice but to see what happens. I’m not expecting much though.
We agree on that too then. Just hope there’s something more long term and well planned with the Americans.
What does posivity mean, making excuses for poor displays, saying it‘s ok to be shortof power, pace height, skill and guile if it wasn’t so broke, it wouldn’t need fixing. Positiity does nothing, you have to be realistic, then you can start to fix things.

Another goalkeeper, are they hiring you in or is it the Russians.
Been on here for years if you check. Just don’t usually post a lot . I used to use this place for decent news on my team, unfortunately there isn’t a lot of that these days

Last edited:
I remember Blackburn winning the premier league. They’d be doing that again if things were so simple. My point stands though, it’s easy to get into a mess. It’s more difficult to get out of it. Some teams need a change in manager/tactics/motivation to get the best out of them. I don’t think our team is capable of blowing away everyone else in this league and to change that takes time
No idea what Blackburn winning the premier league has to do with anything. Anyway, anything less than promotion last season from division 3 was failure for a club our size. Same this season. It's not acceptable. At what point do you think it becomes unacceptable? 5 years as a division 3 club? 10? Longer?

No idea what Blackburn winning the premier league has to do with anything. Anyway, anything less than promotion last season from division 3 was failure for a club our size. Same this season. It's not acceptable. At what point do you think it becomes unacceptable? 5 years as a division 3 club? 10? Longer?
Your not reading my posts. I don’t think it’s acceptable and we shouldn’t be in this position. But years of mismanagement had put us here. What I’m saying is now we’re shite it takes more than some shouting to sort things out. Tell me what you’d do to have this squad winning every game from next week on

Your not reading my posts. I don’t think it’s acceptable and we shouldn’t be in this position. But years of mismanagement had put us here. What I’m saying is now we’re shite it takes more than some shouting to sort things out. Tell me what you’d do to have this squad winning every game from next week on
Lol. I'm not the manager or owner am I. We had the biggest budget last season and failed. Poor recruitment that's for sure. Why hasn't that been sorted? Why did we appoint a manager from the Scottish second division?

Lol. I'm not the manager or owner am I. We had the biggest budget last season and failed. Poor recruitment that's for sure. Why hasn't that been sorted? Why did we appoint a manager from the Scottish second division?
No idea why, but you can’t change those decisions now. It’s done. We did fail last season and are failing this season. I hope we start to improve with some effective January signings as that’s the first opportunity to put things right as far as I can see because the new manager and the last has found that this squad aren’t up to scratch

No not at all, only need to look up the road to see that what with their 'protests' and that.

I don't mind people having a moan saying we're shite coz let's face it we are. The atmosphere at the match hardly ever reflects what's said on Twitter and on here. I just don't agree with the personal abuse that gets dished out. Some of the stuff people come out with is appalling.
Comparing a crowd of 47,000 to 8,000 and their The ones in trouble? The love for the club is dying I know that’s big words but it is. The only thing we look forward to is slagging them off and hoping Bruce gets beat, gets more posts than game day.

Comparing a crowd of 47,000 to 8,000 and their The ones in trouble? The love for the club is dying I know that’s big words but it is. The only thing we look forward to is slagging them off and hoping Bruce gets beat, gets more posts than game day.
I wasnt comparing crowd sizes? No idea where you got that form. I was simply stating there is unrest in every supports group. And they tend to be a minority, but also the loudest due to social media.

Besides that we get 30,000 average in league one so you're either a troll or a mag.

Not sure what kind of fan you are but I certainly don't look forward to calling Bruce or the mags. I don't even follow their results man. It seems you're more obsessed. Come back with some actual arguments relevant to the discussion.

The question i keep asking myself over the last couple of years has been this, just how bad does it have to get, just how dark does it have to be before people who haven't snapped do, i think of other clubs of our size and i wonder, would they stand for everything we have had to stand for in the last 5 years, the scandal's the relegations, and other things that have come and gone.

After 30 years match day is a chore, if it wasn't for the kids I probably would take a season off! Its not enjoyable, the club is the lowest it had ever been and the jury is still out on the owners!

I'll back the manager as he us foing a job he was employed for, my choice no but that's not down to him.

We look like a laughing stock when our fans do things like the abuse Flanagan got!

I just hope we turn a corner quickly

Totally agree. I get the freedom of speech argument, but when the keyboard warriors start swearing and abusing fellow members it annoys me. A bit hypocritical here , but it’s very brave to go have hiding behind a keyboard.Cowards!

This. Have an opinion. Have any opinion you like. Voice it on the message board but try to take the time to put it across in a way that makes sense and doesnt make you sound like a mental. Oh, and if you wouldn't say it face to face to a stranger in the pub then don't type it on the internet.

I'm no happy clapper, but unlike you I haven't given up yet.

After 16 games last season Barnsley were 4th, Luton 5th and Charlton 13th. We've only played 15 games and sit in 7th. We've been knocked out of two cups nobody wanted to be in anyway. Teams above us are dropping points too. Haven't even played half the season yet and people are going on like we will be relegated man.

Had some investment, got more focus on the league. What ever happened to keep the faith?

As someone said above, the performances deserve the stick and I've been dishing it out at the matches like anyone else. But I don't agree with PP or SD getting abuse.

Who said I had given up? I am seriously fucked off, I dont give up. I am driving up next week to drop xmas presents off for the kids, I will be going to the match, hoping its when it starts to get better

Last edited:
Shearer was playing for them, look at the photo, could that be a mag stamping on a Sunderland player?

Last edited:

Back