A life in lockdown/isolation of the SMB - post your pics here

Misread that as crook in the army 😂

:lol:

That‘s ok, my Mam kept telling me from a very young age... “Don’t ever play cards with your Grandad, he cheats!”

Never sent money back to my Nanna, as he used it all during card games. Mind you if he was seeing an italian woman during his time in Italy, that also might be why no money never made it home.

Apparently had a bit of a rep in the pubs and club in Thornley, was frequently getting barred for getting caught out with cards.

I always hoped he would teach me some of his tricks, sadly he died when I was 15. I did find a pack of playing cards amongst his stuff, when we were helping Nanna sort though everything after he died. I remember looking through them and finding weird little marks on every card. I never even got the chance to even think of using them, my Mam took them off me with a passing comment of “Don’t even think about it” :lol:

Last edited:

That‘s ok, my Mam kept telling me from a very young age... “Don’t ever play cards with your Grandad, he cheats!”

Never sent money back to my Nanna, as he used it all during card games. Mind you if he was seeing an italian woman during his time in Italy, that also might be why no money never made it home.

Apparently had a bit of a rep in the pubs and club in Thornley, was frequently getting barred for getting caught out with cards.

I always hoped he would teach me some of his tricks, sadly he died when I was 15. I did find a pack of playing cards amongst his stuff, when we were helping Nanna sort though everything after he died. I remember looking through them and finding weird little marks on every card. I never even got the chance to even think of using them, my Mam took them off me with a passing comment of “Don’t even think about it” :lol:

What a wonderful story.

I was in a pub in Yarmouth years ago with my dad - he introduced me to some mate of his and said - never play cards with him mind - I asked why and the mate showed me, he dealt us all hands, I had 3 kings, he had 3 aces - no idea how he did it, but it shows what can be done if you're a bit naive

Back