A life in lockdown/isolation of the SMB - post your pics here

I’ve got to ask - what area are you snapping these amazing birds with - and what camera are you using?

I’d love to see a Kingfisher in the wild.

'Camera is a Nikon P950, mate. The P900 isn't too different for half the price. The trick is to be agile in getting close. Any bridge camera upwards of 400 quid will get you some very nice pictures if you learn to get close and keep the camera steady.

The kingfisher was taken on the River Gaunless at Bishop Auckland. They're residents there, 'pretty sure nesting very close by. I haven't been through there for ages, mainly because the weather is always shite compared to on the coast where I live, but I always see a kingfisher within minutes of being there and dipper. It's an ideal spot for them.

The long-eared owl and sedge warbler are on the East Durham coast.
I’ve got to ask - what area are you snapping these amazing birds with - and what camera are you using?

I’d love to see a Kingfisher in the wild.

If you're interested, mate, someone has just picked up a Nikon P900 for 470 quid second hand, from a reputable shop. Those people mean what they say when they say: "it's in mint condition". I've bought stuff from those shops such as Park Cameras and Wex Photography, and they're good for their word. It's the type of world where reputation matters.

My P950 was 800 quid brand new. There's not that much difference between the two cameras, although I'm not sure if the P900 has a viewfinder/screen which to me is very important as you can instantly see if you have the exposure out or something.

The menu is pretty simple. I'm the type of person who never used a camera, on holiday or anything, so if I can get to grips with cameras anyone can. There isn't that much you need to know, what takes the time to get there is going 'round the houses making mistakes but if you bought one I'd give you some advice from time to time on here.

470 quid for a good conditioned P900 will get you more or less exactly the same pictures as I've posted providing you're agile in getting close and you can keep the camera steady. An absolute bargain. 'Not easy to keep it steady with a 2000mm zoom, but it can be done such as I take the vast majority of my pictures lying down with my elbows on the ground or sitting down with my arms resting on my thighs - 'sorts of acts like a tripod. The only time I take pictures standing up is when the sky is hazy or cloudy, which will degrade image quality and so I stand up to get some green in the background instead.

As I say, if you're interested you won't go wrong with a good condition second hand P900 to give you a start.

Last edited:
'Camera is a Nikon P950, mate. The P900 isn't too different for half the price. The trick is to be agile in getting close. Any bridge camera upwards of 400 quid will get you some very nice pictures if you learn to get close and keep the camera steady.

The kingfisher was taken on the River Gaunless at Bishop Auckland. They're residents there, 'pretty sure nesting very close by. I haven't been through there for ages, mainly because the weather is always shite compared to on the coast where I live, but I always see a kingfisher within minutes of being there and dipper. It's an ideal spot for them.

The long-eared owl and sedge warbler are on the East Durham coast.

If you're interested, mate, someone has just picked up a Nikon P900 for 470 quid second hand, from a reputable shop. Those people mean what they say when they say: "it's in mint condition". I've bought stuff from those shops such as Park Cameras and Wex Photography, and they're good for their word. It's the type of world where reputation matters.

My P950 was 800 quid brand new. There's not that much difference between the two cameras, although I'm not sure if the P900 has a viewfinder/screen which to me is very important as you can instantly see if you have the exposure out or something.

The menu is pretty simple. I'm the type of person who never used a camera, on holiday or anything, so if I can get to grips with cameras anyone can. There isn't that much you need to know, what takes the time to get there is going 'round the houses making mistakes but if you bought one I'd give you some advice from time to time on here.

470 quid for a good conditioned P900 will get you more or less exactly the same pictures as I've posted providing you're agile in getting close and you can keep the camera steady. An absolute bargain. 'Not easy to keep it steady with a 2000mm zoom, but it can be done such as I take the vast majority of my pictures lying down with my elbows on the ground or sitting down with my arms resting on my thighs - 'sorts of acts like a tripod. The only time I take pictures standing up is when the sky is hazy or cloudy, which will degrade image quality and so I stand up to get some green in the background instead.

As I say, if you're interested you won't go wrong with a good condition second hand P900 to give you a start.

Ive actually got a few cameras, one of which is a Nikon (can’t remember the exact model) and I’ve got a Sigma zoom lens for it - haven’t used them for years but seeing your amazing photos is spurring me to get my camera bag back out 👍🏻

Ive actually got a few cameras, one of which is a Nikon (can’t remember the exact model) and I’ve got a Sigma zoom lens for it - haven’t used them for years but seeing your amazing photos is spurring me to get my camera bag back out 👍🏻

I love it, mate. 'not just taking the pictures but watching the birds, being in nature, the walks. I've just started a new job and been doing 60 hours a week so 'was struggling to get out, 'first time out for the day on Sunday just gone and lifted my mood straight away.

'Done my time sitting in pubs a long while back, 'wish I'd taken up this hobby earlier in my life.

I love it, mate. 'not just taking the pictures but watching the birds, being in nature, the walks. I've just started a new job and been doing 60 hours a week so 'was struggling to get out, 'first time out for the day on Sunday just gone and lifted my mood straight away.

'Done my time sitting in pubs a long while back, 'wish I'd taken up this hobby earlier in my life.

If you get a chance to snap a few more, get them posted on here mate, they’re an absolute joy to see 👍🏻

Where at ?
I was up at Nelson Bay ⛳ last weekend with the boys. I'm down at Jervis Bay this weekend with the family. Bit of a change, last weekend 1am I was on the rum n cokes and living it up. Tonight I'm mopping up sick from my daughters friend after they scoffed a load of lamingtons late last night. 🤷‍♂️
Up at the Hunter valley on a boys weekend. Been excellent so far if a little damp

Back