A Levels

• Thread starter Deleted member 44322
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 44322

You only need 55% to get an A. Doesnt sound much to me (not that I ever did them like).

Just wondering what the point of them is now, seeing as you can get unconditional offers from University's without them knowing your final A Level grades?

You only need 55% to get an A. Doesnt sound much to me (not that I ever did them like).

Just wondering what the point of them is now, seeing as you can get unconditional offers from University's without them knowing your final A Level grades?

What percentage of courses give unconditionals before you’ve done your Alevels? I bet it’s not many. Sure you can get unconditionals if your an older student and already have your results from previous years.

55% doesn’t sound like much but alevels are hard, very hard.

What percentage of courses give unconditionals before you’ve done your Alevels? I bet it’s not many. Sure you can get unconditionals if your an older student and already have your results from previous years.

I dont know tbh.... but why do Uni's offer them in the first place? Is it to get money? The ones I know of are young A Level students (so 17-18)

Piece of piss the subjects I did, barely a step up from GCSE.

Not quite true, based on my experience of doing them eight years ago.

Every paper gets converted to a standardised mark.

If a paper has 100 marks and you get 70 marks, you will not necessarily get 70%.

This changes not only between papers but between subjects.

You need 80% of the standardised marks for an A, 70% for a B, 60% for a C etc.

You may be right in that you don’t need 80% of the raw marks to get 80% of the standardised marks, but that 55% you give will vary between subjects.

(All this based on my experience of doing them 8 years ago)

More about the money than the grades?

If a paper has 100 marks and you get 70 marks, you will not necessarily get 70%.

You may be right in that you don’t need 80% of the raw marks to get 80% of the standardised marks, but that 55% you give will vary between subjects.

What is a standardised mark?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cool ta, like I say I never did them, just read something before and wondered 😊

Cool ta, like I say I never did them, just read something before and wondered 😊

Unless the mark methodology has changed, and it might have, they’re like the f***ing dark arts.

AQA have a convertor to show how raw marks are converted to UMS.

Some subjects you can get an A with as little as 58% of the raw marks, ie that 58% gets converted to 80%, presumably because the person who did better than 79% of all other candidates got 58% of the marks.

Another subject though you need 77% of the raw marks to get 80%

I did chemistry, biology, maths and further maths about 15 years ago. They were a huge step up from GSCE.

This, I did maths, chemistry and physics in 1990 and they were much harder than GCSE. The kids did A levels a few years back and certainly for the maths and chemistry the standards seemed higher than when I did them.

Back