A Level Results

Well spotted.

“Peter, 37, an analyst at Deloitte, stresses the importance of not worrying if you fail. ‘I got two Ds and an E and I did okay’”

Forgetting to mention his Dad works there and got him a job

If he’s 37 and an analyst his dad mustn’t be in high places.

Lass who just joined our lab team at Durham is in £35k debt from a Psychology degree and isn't interested in it anymore. Do student loans effect you when you want a mortgage and that?

No.

I’ve got Just under 20k student debt and just got a mortgage.

I did crap and I am ok.

In fact, all of my siblings did pretty poorly at A Level and we are all ok!

It’s more the point that millionaire broadcasters like Clarkson (always him) saying it generally don’t ease the hurt I’d imagine.

Most people won’t go on to have the career he has had.

Last edited:

Does it not a little? I was asked how much student loan I had outstanding for my mortgage application as it effects your take home pay which influences the affordability.

This. The affordability assessment they have to do is based on your take home pay so is influenced by student loan. Having the loan won't affect credit ratings/scores though (unless you've fucked off abroad and not paid what you owe).

If he’s 37 and an analyst his dad mustn’t be in high places.

No.

I’ve got Just under 20k student debt and just got a mortgage.

It’s more the point that millionaire broadcasters like Clarkson (always him) saying it generally don’t ease the hurt I’d imagine.

Most people won’t go on to have the career he has had.

No but doing poorly in your GCSE’s, A levels or even degree doesn’t mean you can’t have a successful career.

I just did a load of interviews and wasn’t asked about my formal qualifications once.

Student loans can effect your mortgage application.

Private schools do the EBacc and get their results a week earlier than A levels.
A cynic would say that this is an advantage for places at some of the top prestigious universities who can determine a students origin from this alone.
It also helps if you've missed the entry requirements and have a buffer when ringing them up.

No but doing poorly in your GCSE’s, A levels or even degree doesn’t mean you can’t have a successful career.

I just did a load of interviews and wasn’t asked about my formal qualifications once.

Of course it doesn’t. On average people will though, rightly or wrongly.

My niece got two A and A Star, so is planning to take a year off as is thinking of going to medical school.

My other niece not very happy as she got two Bs and a C (personally I would have been thrilled at that) apparently she’s distraught at the moment as was hoping to get into Queen’s University.

Private schools do the EBacc and get their results a week earlier than A levels.
A cynic would say that this is an advantage for places at some of the top prestigious universities who can determine a students origin from this alone.
It also helps if you've missed the entry requirements and have a buffer when ringing them up.
I'm pretty much against private schools but I think you are wrong - I think you are referring to GCSE's. My daughter got her A levels today and so did her friends who were at the RGS. I

I'm pretty much against private schools but I think you are wrong - I think you are referring to GCSE's. My daughter got her A levels today and so did her friends who were at the RGS. I

I assumed he meant the international baccalaureate (IB) and not the English baccalaureate (Ebacc) which is just the fancy term for having seven particular GCSEs iirc.

However having checked that, their results day is July

Now I have no idea what he means

;)

With all the access to tutorials and info on the internet, it amazes me that the pass percentage isn't higher. If you put in some effort you will pass. I'm only 33 but when I was at school I had a text book and a few hours a week with the teacher. Nowadays there is so much information at your fingertips.

With all the access to tutorials and info on the internet, it amazes me that the pass percentage isn't higher. If you put in some effort you will pass. I'm only 33 but when I was at school I had a text book and a few hours a week with the teacher. Nowadays there is so much information at your fingertips.

You do not need anything more than the textbook to pass A-Levels. Well you didn’t when I did mine.

Lass who just joined our lab team at Durham is in £35k debt from a Psychology degree and isn't interested in it anymore. Do student loans effect you when you want a mortgage and that?

Not massively. They take into account how much it’s likely to cost you, like any other monthly expenditure, but they’re not bothered that you “owe 35k” etc

My niece got two A and A Star, so is planning to take a year off as is thinking of going to medical school.

My other niece not very happy as she got two Bs and a C (personally I would have been thrilled at that) apparently she’s distraught at the moment as was hoping to get into Queen’s University.

This all over, Lot more stress involved then when I was a kid

Back