A history of club cricket in Co. Durham

I played for them as a junior up until their demise in 1986/87.

My dad played for them all his life and was skipper when they won four Durham Coast League titles in a row from 1972 to 1975. He also played in the league winning team in 1969 (I think), though not as captain. They won the league and cup double in 1973 (again, I think) - the same year that their second team also won the league. My mam has a photo of my dad and the second team skipper in our back garden holding the two division trophies.
What became of south hyltons ground? I had a peek on google maps last night but couldnt see where it would have been - i can remember a factory being right next to the ground and it being very close to the A19 but even that seems to have gone.

It's still there.

The ground was sold to the Jolly family after a descendant of the Pratt family who bequeathed the ground to the cricket club was found living in South Africa.

I believe the caveat that it is only to be used for sporting purposes still stands and that is why it has been left fallow with some jumps put in place to train horses.

The factory (Sunderland Forge then later Foster's Forge) is long gone - replaced by the Southside Gardens housing estate.

If you zoom in on Google maps, you can see the cricket ground on the opposite side of the old railway line to Southside Gardens - it looks as if there's a fence or something dividing it in half but you can still see the old scorebox/toilet block in the corner nearest the railway line, the old cutter shed a little further up on the same side, and the old changing rooms at the top corner of the ground, partially obscured by some trees.

My dad used to have the league handbooks - issued every year - and they would list all of the league champions and cup winners all the way back to the inception of The Durham Coast League.

My mam might still have them - I can ask her if you'd like? It might put some 'meat on the bones' of that photograph.
That would be brilliant, thanks
It's still there.

The ground was sold to the Jolly family after a descendant of the Pratt family who bequeathed the ground to the cricket club was found living in South Africa.

I believe the caveat that it is only to be used for sporting purposes still stands and that is why it has been left fallow with some jumps put in place to train horses.

The factory (Sunderland Forge then later Foster's Forge) is long gone - replaced by the Southside Gardens housing estate.

If you zoom in on Google maps, you can see the cricket ground on the opposite side of the old railway line to Southside Gardens - it looks as if there's a fence or something dividing it in half but you can still see the old scorebox/toilet block in the corner nearest the railway line, the old cutter shed a little further up on the same side, and the old changing rooms at the top corner of the ground, partially obscured by some trees.
Correct. Sue has her horses there I believe

Last edited:
Just read the last 30 years’ worth on there!

Where did Durham North End play?
No idea on the venue but they were mentioned on here

I played their against North Durham when their Pro was Michael Fishwick and their Overseas Amateur was Damian Martyn, who later went on to become part of the highly successful Steve Waugh-led Australian test side.

I remember North Durham been fined and rightly soo, for amazingly playing Martyn in a second team cup tie!

I also remember playing North Durham at home in a night match where I was drafted into the first team for a 5 bowler cup match, as they were very short, our best two bowlers always bowled the final overs in our case that was Parry the pro and Steven Ward.

This meant I opened the bowling where Fishwick he me for six of the very first ball of the match!
A certain Mr Parry will have had a lot to do with that - great player who made a decent team into a very good one.

Parry was awesome, but there were some very very good cricketers in the side as well, Stuart Wilson, Paul Hill, John Pendlington and Steven Ward were class acts.

Paul Matthews was a superb bat, for a few years too until he moved away,

Last edited:
I remember North Durham been fined and rightly soo, for amazingly playing Martyn in a second team cup tie!

I also remember playing North Durham at home in a night match where I was drafted into the first team for a 5 bowler cup match, as they were very short, our best two bowlers always bowled the final overs in our case that was Parry the pro and Steven Ward.

This meant I opened the bowling where Fishwick he me for six of the very first ball of the match!

Parry was awesome, but there were some very very good cricketers in the side as well, Stuart Wilson, Paul Hill, John Pendlington and Steven Ward were class acts.

Paul Matthews was a superb bat, for a few years too until he moved away,
When Martin 1st played for North Durham it was as a 17 year old on an Australian scholarship. He played against our under 18s and I didn't raise any objection as they would have been overwhelmed without him.
Wicketkeeper Sherington was also pretty crucial to that Horden side- couldn't have been easy keeping to Parry.

When Martin 1st played for North Durham it was as a 17 year old on an Australian scholarship. He played against our under 18s and I didn't raise any objection as they would have been overwhelmed without him.
Wicketkeeper Sherington was also pretty crucial to that Horden side- couldn't have been easy keeping to Parry.

Yeah Sherrington was good, as was Peter Nord who was good keeper as well, not as good as Sherrington but batter bat.

When he was in the side and Ward eleven, the team batted all the way down to ten, they were times Pendlington batted there and he was a good bat!

They were a good league side at the time, but a brilliant cup side, as @redandwhiterob said earlier,over period of 10 years about late 80s to early 90s that side used to reach at least 5 cup finals a season.
Loving this thread hope it keeps been updated. Remember Desmond Haynes at blackhall as well. Derek parry did a great job for horden.

Yep I remember that, such was the standard back then, that the Blackhall pro, after him another West Indian Clayton Lambert scored more runs then him at Blackhall and of all the top pros back then, not were as consistent in terms of runs season after season as Lambert.

Last edited:
Yep I remember that, such was the standard back then, that the Blackhall pro, after him another West Indian Clayton Lambert scored more runs then him at Blackhall and of all the top pros back then, not were as consistent in terms of runs season after season as Lambert.
Saw Clayton Lambert playing the switch hit for them long before Pietersen supposedly invented it.

That would be brilliant, thanks
Got in touch with my Mam and she dug out a couple of old Durham Coast League handbooks.

South Hylton won the Coast League first division in 1957, 1969, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975 - based on that I would say the photo you posted dates from 1957 (assuming that's the first team).

The trophy on the right in the photo looks like the league trophy (I used to have to polish it every year before it was returned to the league) - don't know what the fancier looking one on the right is.

Next time I see her, I'll try and get one of the handbooks and verify the above.

Back