A history of club cricket in Co. Durham

I was doing a bit of research into South Hylton CC and came across this book. It's downloadable or you can read the PDF here

I played for them as a junior up until their demise in 1986/87.

My dad played for them all his life and was skipper when they won four Durham Coast League titles in a row from 1972 to 1975. He also played in the league winning team in 1969 (I think), though not as captain. They won the league and cup double in 1973 (again, I think) - the same year that their second team also won the league. My mam has a photo of my dad and the second team skipper in our back garden holding the two division trophies.

Last edited:

My dad played for them all his life and was skipper when they won four Durham Coast League titles in a row from 1972 to 1975. He also played in the league winning team in 1969 (I think), though not as captain. They won the league and cup double in 1973 (again, I think) - the same year that their second team also won the league. My mam has a photo of my dad and the second team skipper in our back garden holding the two division trophies.
I remember going there with my dad around that time - he was playing for Ryhope around that time i think.

I played for Dawdon against that So Hylton team - the Andrews brothers, Bob Markham, Norman Button, Charlie Doran. They were good side.

Last edited:

Do you know anyone on here, or give me a clue to the year. Bottom left is Jackson Beattie

full

Yes, It's s at the top of the field, I used to play there before they built Geenbank. I'm thinking late 40s early 50s but don't know when they won the trophies.
My dad used to have the league handbooks - issued every year - and they would list all of the league champions and cup winners all the way back to the inception of The Durham Coast League.

My mam might still have them - I can ask her if you'd like? It might put some 'meat on the bones' of that photograph.

Just read the last 30 years’ worth on there!

Where did Durham North End play?
Not heard of them. Do you mean North Durham ?
If so, they played at Prince Consort road in Gateshead. They shared the ground with North Durham Rugby club, who amalgamated with Gateshead Fell RFC.
The field is still there, most recently used as 2 football pitches and was the proposed site for Gateshead Football club's new ground, before all that fell through.

Not heard of them. Do you mean North Durham ?
If so, they played at Prince Consort road in Gateshead. They shared the ground with North Durham Rugby club, who amalgamated with Gateshead Fell RFC.
The field is still there, most recently used as 2 football pitches and was the proposed site for Gateshead Football club's new ground, before all that fell through.
I played their against North Durham when their Pro was Michael Fishwick and their Overseas Amateur was Damian Martyn, who later went on to become part of the highly successful Steve Waugh-led Australian test side.

Back