A history of club cricket in Co. Durham

Is that Jolly as in the family who run the Jolly buses ?
Yep.

They owned the land next to the cricket club - the entrance to the cricket field was their driveway.

Ken Jolly - Susan's dad lived in a big bungalow just off the driveway - his mother lived in the cottage you had to pass to get into the ground. About halfway along that driveway there was a shed built into the wall with a petrol pump in it - Jolly used to use it to fuel his fleet of wedding cars. The cricket club had free access to it for the big mowers.

Susan Jolly now owns what was the cricket ground and keeps horses on it, or did until a few years ago.

Baina was a great cricketer (footballer too) but liked his drink better - I think he packed in when he was in his mid- to late twenties because it interfered with his afternoon sessions.

On his day, he was as quick as anyone with the ball, and nasty with it, and he was a destructive batsman who could score quickly. He would have been ideal for 20/20 cricket but he wasn't the one you wanted at the crease if you were trying to dig in for a draw.
I remember him at Silky. Loved a beer did Neil

Yep.

They owned the land next to the cricket club - the entrance to the cricket field was their driveway.

Ken Jolly - Susan's dad lived in a big bungalow just off the driveway - his mother lived in the cottage you had to pass to get into the ground. About halfway along that driveway there was a shed built into the wall with a petrol pump in it - Jolly used to use it to fuel his fleet of wedding cars. The cricket club had free access to it for the big mowers.

Susan Jolly now owns what was the cricket ground and keeps horses on it, or did until a few years ago.
Yep. I remember going to Mrs. Jolly’s for tea (That’s Ken and Lynn’s Mam) when I was a a bairn.

Does Ken still live there?

My Mam and Lynn Jolly were a. Couple for years after my dad and Lynn’s wife died.

My Mam died two years ago and Lynn a couple of years before

Last edited:
Yep. I remember going to Mrs. Jolly’s for tea (That’s Ken and Lynn’s Mam) when I was a a bairn.

Does Ken still live there?

My Mam and Lynn Jolly were a. Couple for years after my dad and Lynn’s wife died.

My Mam died two years ago and Lynn a couple of years before
I believe Ken does still live in the bungalow but, to be honest, I haven't seen him now for a good while now.

Back